I am hoping with the new OS we won't be having any lags or freezing times in the device but by judging in the video below I have posted which was at Jam, don't you think BB10 still lags a bit? He had to do a couple of scroll ups to get the Flow working. Just take a look at the iPhones, it never freezes nor lags not even a bit. I hope it will be the very same for the new BB.

09-25-12 04:49 PM
    its still 5 months away from release date.... there's time.
    09-25-12 04:52 PM
    Can't really put too much thought in hiccups of an OS 5 months away from release running of a Dev device.

RIM probably has a version of BB10 that is more polished running on an internal beta.
    sleepngbear likes this.
    09-25-12 04:54 PM
    YO GUYS.

So yeah, a lot of these demos on the Dev Alpha B unit sorta short the flick up the bottom to take a few tries. That's because the stupid casing has a ridge on it that gets your thumb in a bad position to swipe. Kinda dumb that they put that there (they just wanted the Dev Alpha B to be ugly).

On the real hardware I used this was NEVER an issue. And I have a feeling when Devs update their dev alphas it won't be either. I've found it to be really responsive.
    09-25-12 04:54 PM
    I am hoping with the new OS we won't be having any lags or freezing times in the device but by judging in the video below I have posted which was at Jam, don't you think BB10 still lags a bit? He had to do a couple of scroll ups to get the Flow working. Just take a look at the iPhones, it never freezes nor lags not even a bit. I hope it will be the very same for the new BB.

I wondered the same thing. This potentially a huge problem for BB. I have written before, it must be essentially flawless. They are coming into the market against mature competitors.

I think, at best, if BB10 works flawlessly (not just in demo, but with real world apps loaded on and interacting), they can have a shot at rebuilding over the next few years. If it is buggy, if it crashes....and I worry since they admitted problems with "integration" (it's not easy to make all the functions work together not to mention external 3rd party apps!!). It is over for sure.

The vid looks neat, but not game-changing, and I'm not sure the learning-curve is a good thing. More importantly, it reminded me of how complex it is to launch a new OS, even a phone OS. Mind you BB has now had plenty of time, and considering that QNX has been around and deployed for a long time, maybe they have a shot at getting it out, and having it work properly. As it is though, things look grim.
    09-25-12 04:59 PM
    I wondered the same thing. This potentially a huge problem for BB. I have written before, it must be essentially flawless. They are coming into the market against mature competitors.
    Yeah no doubt about it, couldn't agree more. It HAS to be much more flawless and responsive just like the iPhone's are made. I got an iPod and it's completely flawless swiping the menu from left to the right. Also, if you guys take a deep notice in most of the Jam videos where they show us the real hardware, some of them had a hard time while constantly swiping the device from left to right of the menu, too. What I mean by hard time is it was "kind of" slow. Take a look at the very same video that I have posted above.
    09-25-12 05:07 PM

I think, at best, if BB10 works flawlessly (not just in demo, but with real world apps loaded on and interacting), they can have a shot at rebuilding over the next few years. If it is buggy, if it crashes....and I worry since they admitted problems with "integration" (it's not easy to make all the functions work together not to mention external 3rd party apps!!). It is over for sure.

The vid looks neat, but not game-changing, and I'm not sure the learning-curve is a good thing. More importantly, it reminded me of how complex it is to launch a new OS, even a phone OS. Mind you BB has now had plenty of time, and considering that QNX has been around and deployed for a long time, maybe they have a shot at getting it out, and having it work properly. As it is though, things look grim.
    Yeah no doubt about it, couldn't agree more. It HAS to be much more flawless and responsive just like the iPhone's are made. I got an iPod and it's completely flawless swiping the menu from left to the right. Also, if you guys take a deep notice in most of the Jam videos where they show us the real hardware, some of them had a hard time while constantly swiping the device from left to right of the menu, too. What I mean by hard time is it was "kind of" slow. Take a look at the very same video that I have posted above.
    Did you two not read the post directly above yours from someone more in the know on BB10 than probably anyone else on the planet outside of Waterloo, or do you just like to complain a lot?

09-25-12 05:13 PM
    YO GUYS.

So yeah, a lot of these demos on the Dev Alpha B unit sorta short the flick up the bottom to take a few tries. That's because the stupid casing has a ridge on it that gets your thumb in a bad position to swipe. Kinda dumb that they put that there (they just wanted the Dev Alpha B to be ugly).

On the real hardware I used this was NEVER an issue. And I have a feeling when Devs update their dev alphas it won't be either. I've found it to be really responsive.
    Another thing to account for is that the user is angling the phone for the camera, not using it straight on. I have the same issue trying to show someone a new phone or trying to operate a phone someone else is holding. I doubt the problem exists when using the device straight on, other than the blockage mentioned above.
    bungaboy and hpjrt like this.
    09-25-12 05:19 PM
    Did you two not read the post directly above yours from someone more in the know on BB10 than probably anyone else on the planet outside of Waterloo, or do you just like to complain a lot?

Click to view quoted image
    Did you not note the time stamp on my post and appropriately realize that I was posting at the same time, or do you just like to complain a lot?

Kevin, that's good news, and does explain that repeated swipe up...it looks bad. Again though, I was only surprised by that, my main worry is them trying to get the entire thing working, especially with 3rd party apps, etc. When you come to the party late, you have the advantage of seeing and learning form what everyone else has done, but you also be ready to compete with mature products.
    09-25-12 07:03 PM
    When you come to the party late, you have the advantage of seeing and learning form what everyone else has done, but you also be ready to compete with mature products.
    I think RIM knows that more so than any other tech company at the moment other than Microsoft...
    09-25-12 09:42 PM
    I think RIM knows that more so than any other tech company at the moment other than Microsoft...
    Yeah they've learned that lesson the hard way...but I don't doubt that they know it, just recognize that it is very difficult to get out a polished product....especially one that competes with mature ones.

As for MS...in the....what is it now...26+ years (wow), I've been using their product, they've never produced a polished product. I have no faith in them whatsoever. The only time they've ever succeeded in any field is when they can throw money at, leverage, bully, buy out, illegally outmaneuver the competition. Personally, I rue the damage they've done to the tech world, and to the consumer, and can only dream of where the PC would be now had they not existed. I could write pages on MS history, but suffice it to say, I hope they fail to buy their way in, wither, and die.

(note: since my Apple 2e, I have owned and used nothing but MS based systems)
    09-25-12 11:17 PM
    I can confirm what Kevin said. It is just that ugly casing they put on the Dev Alpha B. I updated my og Dev Alpha to the new OS and it runs very very smooth. I haven't missed a gesture yet.
    09-25-12 11:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD