I emailed my Member of Parliament today....we'll see what the response is. I encourage all BB user to do the same.

See details below.

"To Peter Julian,

I would like to express my concerns regarding where my Canadian Government sits on the issue of support for RIM, the makers
    of our beloved Blackberry Smartphones.

We are all aware of the well-publicized "smart-phone wars" over which manufacturer has the best product. We have witnessed the
    continued bashing of RIM in the media, the retail stores, and in the industry as a whole. They have been written off, and ridiculed for not
    staying competitive with the likes of Apple and Google's Android. They continue, however, to make an excellent product, that is competitive,
    hugely successful on every continent besides North America, and at a critical juncture with the upcoming release of a new operating system,
    will require our support.

My government has been fairly silent regarding what products they are, and will be, issuing to government employees for work use.

If we are not going to support a successful, Canadian born and bred company, then how do we expect the rest of the world to support
    that company?

There is no reason that government agencies cannot issue Blackberries for work use, thereby supporting the manufacturer of those products.

If the auto industry in the U.S. can be bailed out by its government, then we can at least prioritize the purchase of Canadian products over American
    or other products, when our products will be able to do the exact same thing for work purposes.

Mr. Julian...as a patriotic Canadian, and an Elected Member of Parliament...what smartphone are you using?

Thank you for your attention and consideration.
    Stewartj1 and bigbadben10 like this.
    11-01-12 07:18 PM
    RIM is not quite ready for bailouts yet!. But thanks for getting the ball rolling just in case
    11-01-12 07:23 PM
    RIM is not quite ready for bailouts yet!. But thanks for getting the ball rolling just in case
    Actually....I'm not implying a bailout...more along the lines of taking the lead, and showing support for Canadian products and Canadian
    companies. Very different to a bailout.

Besides...our tax dollars are at work here...shouldn't they be spent supporting a Canadian company?
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    11-01-12 07:29 PM
    What if the simply just want to try a different phone/OS?
    11-01-12 07:31 PM
    What if the simply just want to try a different phone/OS?
    There's no reason to...the Canadian Government should be supporting a Canadian company...just as the U.S. does with Apple and Android.

Again...my tax dollars should be support my economy, not someone else's.
    11-01-12 07:41 PM
    so by your reason the US should abandon BB because its canadian and go strictly iOS since android really isnt american its a bunch of foriegn OEMs....
    11-01-12 07:46 PM
    so by your reason the US should abandon BB because its canadian and go strictly iOS since android really isnt american its a bunch of foriegn OEMs....
    I'm not saying that at all...but I would understand if they did. Bear in mind...I'm not talking about consumers here...this is all government related. As in how our tax dollars are spent.

In my opinion, the government should be supporting local and National companies and products where they fit the needs that other products do, and in doing so, help the National
    economy.
    11-01-12 07:50 PM
    I'm not saying that at all...but I would understand if they did. Bear in mind...I'm not talking about consumers here...this is all government related. As in how our tax dollars are spent.

In my opinion, the government should be supporting local and National companies and products where they fit the needs that other products do, and in doing so, help the National
    economy.
    Why can't they simply buy whatever product works out best for their needs? You know, like everyone else?
    howarmat likes this.
    11-01-12 08:02 PM
    Why can't they simply buy whatever product works out best for their needs? You know, like everyone else?
    Respectfully, you're missing the point...our governments have a fiscal responsibility to do their part to support the national economy...it's not like
    "everyone else"...as consumers, we can purchase whatever we want...but our government should be supporting national companies FIRST.
    11-01-12 08:07 PM
    Maybe they could just buy Motorola Android Powered phones since they are now with Google. LOL
    11-01-12 08:09 PM
    Respectfully, you're missing the point...our governments have a fiscal responsibility to do their part to support the national economy...it's not like
    "everyone else"...as consumers, we can purchase whatever we want...but our government should be supporting national companies FIRST.
    In other words, protectionism?
    11-01-12 08:09 PM
    So, what if, your government, for what ever reason, ends up not liking BB10? Should they still buy it because it's made by a Canadian Company? Or, is it ok to then buy something that they do like, and works for them?

And, government or consumer, everyone should be able to purchase what works best for them.
    11-01-12 08:12 PM
    There's no reason to...the Canadian Government should be supporting a Canadian company...just as the U.S. does with Apple and Android.

Again...my tax dollars should be support my economy, not someone else's.
    This part is interesting, seeing as, the US Government has mostly been using Blackberry phones for years.
    11-01-12 08:17 PM
    So, what if, your government, for what ever reason, ends up not liking BB10? Should they still buy it because it's made by a Canadian Company? Or, is it ok to then buy something that they do like, and works for them?

And, government or consumer, everyone should be able to purchase what works best for them.
    Well, for starters...our government has been using blackberries for years...what's not to like? We are talking about a work environment here...texts, emails, messaging, etc...

They don't need a million game or music apps...

Clearly, if BB's were doing the job for years prior, then there is no reason they can't do the job now. And the security is unmatched.
    11-01-12 08:19 PM
    This part is interesting, seeing as, the US Government has mostly been using Blackberry phones for years.
    ....and they have been shifting to other devices recently...understandable, in order to support the US economy.
    11-01-12 08:21 PM
    ....and they have been shifting to other devices recently...understandable, in order to support the US economy.
    i highly doubt the US govt is shifting to iOS because they are supporting the US economy.
    Moonbase0ne and Roo Zilla like this.
    11-01-12 08:24 PM
    Do you honestly think that some US Government Agencies are trying Google and Android just to support US Companies?
    11-01-12 08:24 PM
    Well, for starters...our government has been using blackberries for years...what's not to like? We are talking about a work environment here...texts, emails, messaging, etc...

They don't need a million game or music apps...

Clearly, if BB's were doing the job for years prior, then there is no reason they can't do the job now. And the security is unmatched.
    Maybe Android and/or iOS offer some agencies apps that they need that BB doesn't? Or again, maybe they simply want something else, that they think might work better for their needs. or, maybe they secretly don't like the way Blackberries do things anymore. There is more to all of this than Security, email, texts, etc... A certain division I worked in needed a certain program/app more than they needed stellar email to "get things done". Not every business, or every sector of a business, runs on emails as a top priority. Sometimes a certian app is what they need, and maybe Blackberry didn't have that app. What then?
    11-01-12 08:30 PM
    i highly doubt the US govt is shifting to iOS because they are supporting the US economy.
    I'd rethink that one, Howard...it's not JUST to support the US economy, but it most definitely is a consideration...and that's totally understandable, in my
    opinion. Why wouldn't a government choose to support a national company? Especially in a difficult economy...lost jobs, companies closing, etc...
    I'm personally all for it, and would like to see that support for RIM, and other Canadian companies.
    11-01-12 08:39 PM
    Maybe Android and/or iOS offer some agencies apps that they need that BB doesn't? Or again, maybe they simply want something else, that they think might work better for their needs. or, maybe they secretly don't like the way Blackberries do things anymore. There is more to all of this than Security, email, texts, etc... A certain division I worked in needed a certain program/app more than they needed stellar email to "get things done". Not every business, or every sector of a business, runs on emails as a top priority. Sometimes a certian app is what they need, and maybe Blackberry didn't have that app. What then?
    Obviously, there may be instances where "specific or specialized" apps are required...in that case, the government can either go to a different device for that division, or go to the manufacturer of the smartphone and ask them to develop the app they need. Really simple, in my opinion.
    11-01-12 08:41 PM
    In my opinion, the government should be supporting local and National companies and products where they fit the needs that other products do, and in doing so, help the National economy.
    Sorry...it just doesn't work like that in a global economy. Keep in mind that what's good for the goose is good for the gander: imagine if the US government decides to exclusively support and market Apple and Android M.M.I. devices, Korea decides to go all Samsung and LG, Japan with Sony, China with just Huawei and ZTE, Finns (all 100 of them) with Nokia...where would that leave RIM? Will we have competition for spheres of influence based on national(ized?) OEMs?
    Roo Zilla likes this.
    11-01-12 09:04 PM

economy.
    He just blew your mind with logic champ.
    11-01-12 09:07 PM
    I'd rethink that one, Howard...it's not JUST to support the US economy, but it most definitely is a consideration...and that's totally understandable, in my
    opinion. Why wouldn't a government choose to support a national company? Especially in a difficult economy...lost jobs, companies closing, etc...
    I'm personally all for it, and would like to see that support for RIM, and other Canadian companies.
    Did you just call Matt "Howard"?
    11-01-12 09:08 PM
    Did you just call Matt "Howard"?
    lol, it is my last name
    mikeo007 likes this.
    11-01-12 09:18 PM
    lol, it is my last name
    Hahahaha....no disrespect meant, Matt...I guessed. My bad.
    howarmat likes this.
    11-01-12 09:49 PM
30 12