http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2011/08/...17;s-hometown/

Basically, if you don't want to read this, an Apple store is opening no more than five miles away from RIM's headquarters.

Good, bad or indifferent?

EDIT:

By Ben Dummett

Apple is taking its battle with arch rival Research In Motion to the BlackBerry maker’s own backyard, opening a retail store this Saturday less than five miles from RIM headquarters in Waterloo, Ontario. The Waterloo region has a population of about 534,000, making it one of the smaller markets in which Apple has a store.

The new store is the ultimate test of Waterloo’s loyalty to its corporate pride and joy.

Mike Segar/Reuters
    In theory at least, RIM should have no problem fending off the interloper. The rise of this Canadian tech giant has put this mid-sized south western Ontario city on the map in more ways than one, helping to solidify the community’s allegiance.

Thanks to RIM’s rise, Waterloo is considered one of Canada’s leading technology centers, home to several of the country’s major software and hardware developers. In turn, it’s been a source of many high-paying jobs and municipal tax revenues that the community has come to enjoy. The local universities, University of Waterloo and Wilfrid Laurier University have also benefitted from the largess of RIM’s top executives. For instance, Co-CEO Mike Lazaridis has donated C$100 million to University of Waterloo to help establish an Institute for Quantum Computing.

Still, consumers increasingly seem to favor Apple’s products over those of RIM.

For the three-month period ended June 30, Apple increased its share of the U.S. smartphone market to 26.6% from 25.5% in the three-month period ended March 31, according to comScore. By comparison, RIM’s share dropped to 23.4% from 27.1% over the same period.

RIM is hopeful its new slate of five new smartphone devices, which will be available in stores worldwide in the coming weeks, will help trigger a turnaround in its sagging fortunes.

Only time will be tell. But if RIM can’t win this turf battle at home, it won’t say much for its future prospects elsewhere.

An Apple representative said the company had no comment on the matter, and RIM couldn’t immediately be reached.
    08-09-11 03:16 PM
    This so reminds me of the old Jay-Z vs Nas battle.... I'm loving it!! Apple is trying to bury RIM.

I don't see that happening though but boy am I loving the battle.
    08-09-11 03:27 PM
    I don't see it as a big deal.

It would have been interesting if Apple built another Office building next to RIM. lol
    08-09-11 03:29 PM
    I wish RIM would open some small stores, like in Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta airport... I think there are 3 in that airport.
    08-09-11 03:41 PM
    I'm sure Apple can sell their products in Waterloo too, even if it is RIM's hood. Nothing is better for the consumer than competition. RIM should fight back....somehow, lol. I really hope they keep trying to out-innovate each other, even if Apple pretends not to care or maybe actually doesn't care in typical Apple style. Hopefully RIM keeps it in high gear so Apple doesn't get too cocky...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-09-11 03:59 PM
    This is a great way to service the Apple customers of South-Western Ontario. Waterloo just happens to be a mid way point between Toronto and London, Ontario.

Apple (Canada) - Apple Store Conestoga - Apple Retail Store
    08-10-11 07:17 AM
    We should have this store added to something like the crackberry goosechase!
    08-13-11 11:32 PM
    Waterloo is a rich city with many Apple users... The store will do fine.

RIM does have a higher-than-average penetration of BlackBerry phones in the Kitchener/Waterloo area for obvious reasons, they aren't the only option. There is room for both companies to flourish so I don't understand why this is a big deal.
    08-14-11 10:47 AM
    With every storefront available at nearly everyones fingertips, I can't see why it would matter. The world is getting smaller every day.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-14-11 02:43 PM
    I wish RIM would open some small stores, like in Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta airport... I think there are 3 in that airport.

I don't think RIM should have their own full stores yet. They don't have a wide enough of a product range to do that.

What they do need to do is focus on the retailers who do currently sell their products. With all the talks of retailers not having PlayBooks set up properly (or even know how to turn them on), there's a lot of improvement to be done here.

RIM needs to have "stores within stores" much like Apple has done with their displays at big-box retailers. Staff needs to be shown how the products work, and how they work together (Phone+tablet via bridge, etc...)
    08-14-11 03:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD