As if its not bad enough we dont get podcasts and news apps now ive noticed dodgyness with the pricing of apps:

dead space costs $9.99 which is approx �6.5 (�7ish with VAT), however we pay �9.99. i checked other apps that are mentioned in the blogs and in all cases the dollar symbol has just been replaced with the pound symbol instead of converting the price based on currency convertion!

To make sure this wasnt industry practice i did with same with the android market place and the android central blogs, no issues there, prices seemed to be converted properly.

The RIMpire may be striking back but i fear we are supporting the dark side instead of the republic, the emperors are deceiving us

time to create a rebel alliance maybe?
    diegonei likes this.
    08-20-11 12:41 PM
    I noticed this too the other day. A $3.99 app is also �3.99 and for that reason I will not buy the app from App world.
    08-21-11 06:27 AM
    This isn't right nor fair. I would love to see how RIM justifies this unjustifiable practice. I hope this gets resolved.
    08-21-11 08:02 AM
    i found a RIM support address and emailed them, in the mean time im buying my apps from crackberry, at least that way i dont get over charged and it contributes to the crackberry cause.
    08-21-11 08:07 AM
    Good stuff and I wish you all the best Kobol. Let us know how we in the Americas can help if we can in anyway.
    08-21-11 08:22 AM
    Wow that is messed up. Hopefully RIM changes this for you guys. Those prices are totally unfair.
    08-21-11 08:33 AM
    its well out of order !!!!
    08-21-11 08:39 AM
    UK users are actually paying less. I had a loved one move to England for a year, and she said that while things initially appear to cost more in the UK, they actually cost the same because the minimum wage is higher. For example, a McDonalds meal costs more in pounds in the UK than a McDonalds meal costs in dollars in the US, but the minimum wage in the UK (the McDonalds wage in pounds) is more than the minimum wage (the McDonalds wage in dollars) in the US. Therefore, it's equivalent: a McDonalds meal is equal to one hour at the minimum wage in both US and UK. If you're paying 4 pounds for an app, and we're paying $4, you're actually getting it for less. So stop you're crying and complaining.
    rjshahan likes this.
    08-21-11 09:08 AM
    UK users are actually paying less. I had a loved one move to England for a year, and she said that while things initially appear to cost more in the UK, they actually cost the same because the minimum wage is higher. For example, a McDonalds meal costs more in pounds in the UK than a McDonalds meal costs in dollars in the US, but the minimum wage in the UK (the McDonalds wage in pounds) is more than the minimum wage (the McDonalds wage in dollars) in the US. Therefore, it's equivalent: a McDonalds meal is equal to one hour at the minimum wage in both US and UK. If you're paying 4 pounds for an app, and we're paying $4, you're actually getting it for less. So stop you're crying and complaining.
    I'm sorry but that does not matter. Both the Android and Apple App Stores convert the prices properly. A $4 should NOT be �4.00. Every other app store converts it to the equivalent. RIM is the only company who is doing this with their market (afaik). Why is it that it is only RIM who is doing this? As one of the users posted above, even the CB app store converts the prices properly.
    Last edited by avt123; 08-21-11 at 09:18 AM.
    08-21-11 09:13 AM
    Well thats not the whole story here. While minimum wage being higher in the UK might contribute to making products and services more expensive (comparatively speaking from an outsider's point of view), it only applies to products made in UK. Since the apps in App World are made globally and are distributed online, RIM does not incur the cost of operating in the UK.
    I'm in India, and the App World pricing is an exact dollar conversion based on the day's USD to INR exchange rate.
    Why is UK being made to pay more in USD terms is puzzling.
    Maybe there is an element of tax involved? The OP can better clarify this.
    In India all software purchased online is tax free.
    AbuYazeedUK likes this.
    08-21-11 09:19 AM
    Well thats not the whole story here. While minimum wage being higher in the UK might contribute to making products and services more expensive (comparatively speaking from an outsider's point of view), it only applies to products made in UK. Since the apps in App World are made globally and are distributed online, RIM does not incur the cost of operating in the UK.
    I'm in India, and the App World pricing is an exact dollar conversion based on the day's USD to INR exchange rate.
    Why is UK being made to pay more in USD terms is puzzling.
    Maybe there is an element of tax involved? The OP can better clarify this.
    In India all software purchased online is tax free.
    Good point. But even if there was tax, why is it that all the other app stores are converting it properly?
    08-21-11 09:25 AM
    Can an American in the UK use his credit card to order an airline ticket in US dollars while in the UK, or will he have to pay the price in pounds?
    08-21-11 09:32 AM
    Can an American in the UK use his credit card to order an airline ticket in US dollars while in the UK, or will he have to pay the price in pounds?
    if he pays in GBP he`ll pay at the appropriate exchange rate though. so a �60 ticket would cost apx $100.
    08-21-11 09:45 AM
    if he pays in GBP he`ll pay at the appropriate exchange rate though. so a �60 ticket would cost apx $100.
    So why can't an American in the UK just order a ticket to the US from a US airline using his credit card on line without paying more? (The person I know said the exchange rate wasn't applied.) I mean, it's an online transaction, just like an an app ...

(Edit: I'll call the person later today and ask her to clarify exactly what happened.)
    Last edited by T�nis; 08-21-11 at 09:53 AM.
    08-21-11 09:50 AM
    So why can't an American in the UK just order a ticket to the US from a US airline using his credit card on line without paying more? (The person I know said the exchange rate wasn't applied.) I mean, it's an online transaction, just like an an app ...

(Edit: I'll call the person later today and ask her to clarify exactly what happened.)
    you seem confused, they wouldnt pay more, they would pay the correct cost, just naturally if they are buying the item in the UK then they would pay in GBP so the current exchange rate would apply.

the current financial exchange rate is $1 = �0.61
    the current appworld exchange rate is $1 = �1

this is the crux of the issue raised in this thread, you seem to be missing the point.
    avt123 likes this.
    08-21-11 10:00 AM
    As I said, there was something amiss. I'll find out what it was and report back. It was an online purchase.

In any case, what's so great about the UK economy that its currency is so valuable (when exchange rates are applied) compared to other economies? I maintain that there's nothing better about the UK economy, and the currency value is somehow artificially kept high.
    Last edited by T�nis; 08-21-11 at 10:28 AM.
    08-21-11 10:20 AM
    In any case, what's so great about the UK economy that its currency is so valuable (when exchange rates are applied) compared to other economies? I maintain that there's nothing better about the UK economy, and the currency value is somehow artificially kept high.
    personal feelings on exchange rates aside, its the fact that both the android market and apples app store adhere to the financial exchange rates, and the fact that appworld doesnt that is in question.
    08-21-11 10:28 AM
    All great. My point: my heart pumps pi$$ for a Brit complaining about getting screwed on exchange rates or the lack thereof.
    Last edited by T�nis; 08-21-11 at 10:35 AM.
    08-21-11 10:31 AM
    I don't think anyone really cares about your point. They are more interested in why RIM is charging them more for apps than anyone else.
    08-21-11 10:37 AM
    I'm fine with what RIM's doing. The title of the topic is "UK users are getting screwed." I maintain they are not for the reasons stated: the playing field is not level anyway because the pound is somehow kept artificially high. UK users "getting screwed"? No. The topic is a moot point.
    Last edited by T�nis; 08-21-11 at 10:48 AM.
    08-21-11 10:38 AM
    All great. My point: my heart pumps pi$$ for a Brit complaining about getting screwed on exchange rates or the lack thereof.
    well maybe as its not an issue that affects you then your feelings on it are moot.

either way, people are asking for there to be a level playing field between countries and app stores. if its was the other way around im sure you`d have something more to say and others would be more thoughtful to your disposition.
    avt123 likes this.
    08-21-11 10:47 AM
    This Tonis person is a ridiculous piece of work. Is he actually banned?

I genuinely hope the user who started this thread will be able to get some answers. His point is valid and BBThemes, and others have raised some valid points. Keep up the splendid work CrackBerry.com & users!

--Bounce
    08-21-11 11:43 AM
    Myself, I'd love to see this mistake happen in Brasil.

$0.99 = R$0.99 ? I'd go rampant on apps.

Currently, $1 = R$1.6. $0.99 should read as R$1.58, yet, they are all tagged R$1.75.

I cant even remember when the Dollar ratio was 1-1.76... 2009 maybe?
    08-21-11 11:57 AM
    Same thing for us here in the Netherlands, 9.99 Euro's instead of dollars, so that's 14.38$ for Dead Space, they do the same with the rest of the apps 1$ is 1 euro in RIM land I guess?
    08-21-11 11:59 AM
    This is so obviously NOT the point

This IS the point

the current financial exchange rate is $1 = �0.61
    the current appworld exchange rate is $1 = �1
    If you are buying in America then you pay the cost in the local currency, if you are buying in the UK you pay the cost in the local currency. Minimum wage has nothing to do with the wrongs and rights of how App world is NOT converting the costs correctly and overcharging every UK user �0.39 per $

Currency conversion is currency conversion, it has nothing to do with the minimum wage and to argue it does is frankly ridiculous and laughable. If you go on holiday from the US to the UK you cannot just hand over $100 and ask to swap it for �100 because the minimum wage is different and nor should app world's feeble attempt at currency conversion include no maths but just a change of currency symbol from $ to �
    08-21-11 02:31 PM
87 123 ...