Just venting here.....

Encouraged by the prospect of a greater choice of apps via Android I stuck with BB and moved from the Z10 to Z30. The Z30 is a very nice phone but it was already lagging spec wise when it was released and with the only new BB on the Horizon the curious (IMO) passport which does not interest me at all I think that when the new phone itch inevtitably comes I'll probably either go back to ios or give Android a try.

It is however not the hardware at all that really bugs me but the bitter sweet experience of what is in BB10 a really nice OS that I like a lot soured by too many annoyances. The music player and general handling of media, the 17 hour boot up time plus the extra 5 miutes of so before some apps are really ready to use on top of that, the frustration of Android apps dangling there like a carrot but in truth many do not run at all and those that do all feeling like they are wading through treacle whilst wearing a heavy backpack into the wind. they certainly stick out like a sore thumb vs. the native apps. The fact is that if there is 'an app for that' I have little confidence that I'll be able to run it on BB unless as in the case with Sonos some clever and motivated BB user decides to build one and with Android runtime I actually think that things will get worse as fewer devs will build BB apps as there will be the expectation that BB users will just go with the android version. The truth is that if either apple of android offered anything like the HUB I would have probably already switched, the hub is the one last thing that makes me stick with the Z30 and it does baffle me why the other 2 have not come up with something like it.

So I am curious at the upcoming IP6 and generally love apple stuff but as ios8 still does not allow me to attach a file to an email or browse the files on my device in 2014 I just do not think I could go back, so for now I plod on hoping for a Z50, hoping for better Android runtime maybe or more actual built for BB apps. I do though think I am at the end of the road (for now) with Blackberry.....
    08-21-14 02:46 AM
    What OS version are you running on your Z30 ? And there is an OS update coming that addresses most of what you have mentioned

Posted via CB10
    CerveloJohn likes this.
    08-21-14 02:56 AM
    Bye. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
    imadorkx, neil74, Banco and 22 others like this.
    08-21-14 03:09 AM

It is frustrating as I mostly really like BB10 but I almost get the sense that BBs future maybe does not lay with consumers

The android support was lauded as a breakthrough and in many ways it was but it also means that there will be fewer built for BB apps and more either ported or just loaded as the android version. Android runtime has to be move on big-time for me for Android apps to be anywhere near slick enough.

Don't you ever get the sense that you are backing a loser? at least in the consumer space. Other than the cheaper BB7 phones on PAYG very few carriers or shops are even selling BB10 phones anymore.
    08-21-14 03:34 AM
    Have fun with your iPhone!
    nick13b and bb624 like this.
    08-21-14 03:49 AM
    I am actually leaning towards an S5 next TBH. Love apple devices but the limitations are just too much unles you jailbreak
    08-21-14 03:52 AM
    Well if BlackBerry does not do what you want, then go find something else. Good thing we all have options

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.3247
    08-21-14 03:52 AM
    Don't you ever get the sense that you are backing a loser? at least in the consumer space. Other than the cheaper BB7 phones on PAYG very few carriers or shops are even selling BB10 phones anymore.
    I think this is the core of the entire problem. You feel abandoned outside the flock. Sheep philosophy. No, I never felt backing a loser. It's a great luck for people like me to have a manufacturer producing such devices. I could never trust companies like Apple or Google. I know many people do without thingking about this, especially if they are told to do it by millions of other people. This had never an impact on me.
    08-21-14 04:06 AM
    I personally don't think I'm backing a loser. I do think that the app ecosystem's future won't be as bright as App Store, but so far App Store is filled with apps doing the same thing with different skin.

When you look at the numbers, App Store is huge, but if you look at it in terms of functionality, the App Store is not that big.

What's lacking in BlackBerry World is not number, but big-name app filling the functionality slots

I also use Opera Browser v12 (been since v 9), and I don't feel like I'm backing a loser, because the thing is still amazing. Currently I'm using Opera 23 instead of Google Chrome, and I don't regret it. I don't need a lot of extensions. Aside from Google services, my smartphone and browser of choice are still very competitive

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.3247
    Coffee Shampoo and spikesolie like this.
    08-21-14 04:13 AM
    Backing a loser!? Dude I'm a Oakland Raiders fam im used to it! ;0(

Posted via CB10
    08-21-14 04:48 AM
    The thing is though there is nothing blackberry can do to fix the app issue besides all the work they've done already! If that's stillnot good enough for you then yeah you got no choice but to leave.

Posted via CB10
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    08-21-14 04:50 AM
    You should not have gone for anything new given your needs. More apps start to rely on services which makes them not use able. The thing that annoys me the most though is the lack of native apps cos that's what's keeping an os alive. Will stick with Z30 till Z20 or Z50 comes out.
    08-21-14 05:27 AM
    Yes, I did have the feeling I was backing a loser, about a year ago, when everyone was talking about the sale of the company. So I sold my Z10 and got an S4.

That was fine, but I soon realized I wsnt doing that much with it that I hadn't already been doing just fine with the Z10, and I liked the way of doing things on the Z10 better. Then KitKat came and my S4 started to run worse. Apps that used to work fine started closing for no reason.

In March I sold the S4 and got a Q10 for a little over $200 US. I put my apps back, a combination of native and Android, and I'm still enjoying it.

I don't know where BlackBerry or BB10 will be in two years, but I really don't care either. If things aren't working at that point I'll move on, but for now there's no reason to.

Posted from my Q10.
    08-21-14 05:41 AM
    Yes, I did have the feeling I was backing a loser, about a year ago, when everyone was talking about the sale of the company. So I sold my Z10 and got an S4.

That was fine, but I soon realized I wsnt doing that much with it that I hadn't already been doing just fine with the Z10, and I liked the way of doing things on the Z10 better. Then KitKat came and my S4 started to run worse. Apps that used to work fine started closing for no reason.

In March I sold the S4 and got a Q10 for a little over $200 US. I put my apps back, a combination of native and Android, and I'm still enjoying it.

I don't know where BlackBerry or BB10 will be in two years, but I really don't care either. If things aren't working at that point I'll move on, but for now there's no reason to.

Posted from my Q10.
    A reasoned response... as usual.
    shaleem likes this.
    08-21-14 06:50 AM
    The app reason is so over rated and stupid. Apps will become good old flipper games of the 80s and 90s. Knowing 80% of the apple's appstore weren't downloaded not even once and are zombie apps leaving us with 250 000 apps downloaded at least once, shows us how important apps are.

Powered by Blackberry
    THBW and CerveloJohn like this.
    08-21-14 06:55 AM

It is frustrating as I mostly really like BB10 but I almost get the sense that BBs future maybe does not lay with consumers

The android support was lauded as a breakthrough and in many ways it was but it also means that there will be fewer built for BB apps and more either ported or just loaded as the android version. Android runtime has to be move on big-time for me for Android apps to be anywhere near slick enough.

you still here ? bye enjoy your flock
    lift likes this.
    08-21-14 06:59 AM
    Just venting here.....

Encouraged by the prospect of a greater choice of apps via Android I stuck with BB and moved from the Z10 to Z30. The Z30 is a very nice phone but it was already lagging spec wise when it was released and with the only new BB on the Horizon the curious (IMO) passport
    Ah, another spec guy. Does your Z30 lag? Mine doesn't at all so it is perfectly powered for the OS. There is the classic and Z20 on the horizon so..

It is however not the hardware at all that really bugs me but the bitter sweet experience of what is in BB10 a really nice OS that I like a lot soured by too many annoyances. The music player and general handling of media, the 17 hour boot up time plus the extra 5 miutes of so before some apps are really ready to use on top of that,
    Are you so dramatic with everything? I only boot my Z30 when there is an OS update, other than that is doesn't need to be. And the 2 minute (not 17 hours) is a price to pay to have a secure phone that does have malware in it.

So I am curious at the upcoming IP6 and generally love apple stuff but as ios8 still does not allow me to attach a file to an email or browse the files on my device in 2014 I just do not think I could go back, so for now I plod on hoping for a Z50, hoping for better Android runtime maybe or more actual built for BB apps. I do though think I am at the end of the road (for now) with Blackberry.....
    BYE
    08-21-14 07:01 AM

Posted from my Q10.
    Thanks

Having never used an Android phone for any length of time I have no idea how apps behave when run natively, pretty much all of my Android apps on my Z30 take 5-10 seconds to actually load and are then noticeably sluggish vs native BB ones after that, it is not a slick process at all.

I just do not get the passport at all and I think it is a curious storm'esque release. I can absolutely see the appeal of keyboard on a phone but the PP has a new keyboard layout that is not qwerty and will therefoe likely not be intuitive and take some adapting to. I also think that any smartphone with a keyboard will never be any more than a niche product, that ship has sailed IMO. It is one of the reasons why I think that BBs short to medium term future is probably not aligned with my own requirements. Will there ever be a Z30 successor for example? I think BB have had a positive 6-12 months and it would be great if they came out and said 'Right here is our answer to the IP5/6 or S5'
    08-21-14 07:03 AM
    So? The phone does everything that I want in an open way. iTunes sucks. I want control over my phone and I don't care what everyone else has or what specs other users brag about. The Z30 is the best full touch phone out there. I have tried them all as I see them all at work and my friends. Although I admit that I was never a lemming and purchased what was right for me and don't care about anyone else.
    newcollector, lift and CerveloJohn like this.
    08-21-14 07:06 AM
    OK a few things I have a z30 myself using of os 10.3. Hybrid cleared SOME of these problems so my gut feeling is that by December most of these issues should be resolved.

Secondly if you going to sell your phone let me know

Having used a number of phones my recommendation HTC one M8 Samsung is garbage it doesn't even have stereo speakers really that's just crazy.

Posted via CB10
    08-21-14 07:12 AM
    The app reason is so over rated and stupid. Apps will become good old flipper games of the 80s and 90s. Knowing 80% of the apple's appstore weren't downloaded not even once and are zombie apps leaving us with 250 000 apps downloaded at least once, shows us how important apps are.