Coming from a MyTouch, I'm sure your daughter will find almost any name brand device an improvement. If she's anything like my teen (15 year old) daughter (straight A student, honor roll, strong extracurriculars), she will want a phone that she can use for messaging her friends, surfing the web and downloading apps and games.

Most of my daughter's friends are on iPhone so for us it made sense to get iPhone since iMessage is pretty much what they all use to communicate with one another. My daughter originally had a Blackberry (Torch) but she soon found it difficult to communicate with her friends using BBM since the number of those contacts dwindled so she was using SMS.

The same goes for my son who is now in college and virtually all his friends there are on iPhone and his school offers several apps that are available only on iPhone or Android devices. iMessage really is a strong selling feature for my kids since virtually all their friends use iMessage to communicate.

If your daughter is happy to communicate using SMS or a third party cross platform messaging app like Kik and her friends are happy using the same then I'd say the Z10 will likely suit her needs (and yours given your opposition to apps like Instagram and Snapchat neither of which are available for BB10). BBM isn't much of an option for many of the teens I know since they'd prefer to use iMessage or, to a much lesser degree, Whatsapp.

Just my 2 cents.
    Thank you. We were Apple users and r familiar with the ecosystem. We are definitely a well rounded techy family!

BB Uniq BB Bold -Z10 with 1925
    paper_monkey likes this.
    01-02-14 06:01 PM
    Why not let her pick the phone that she wants? What's the point if her giving feedback if you're gonna ultimately decide? You're coming across as a bit if a dictator there...

Posted via CB10
    Because he is a parent of a teenager?
    BigBadWulf and paper_monkey like this.
    01-02-14 06:40 PM
    Parents just don't understand

Posted via CB10
    01-02-14 06:54 PM

Posted via CB10
    Been said every generation, going back to Cain, Able and Seth.
    01-02-14 07:04 PM

Posted via CB10
    Lol. So true. But my daughter does :-)

01-02-14 07:17 PM
    The fresh prince of bel-air was the first to say it

Posted via CB10
    01-02-14 08:20 PM
    Haha...did my post actually get deleted? What the heck!?

Posted via CB10
    01-02-14 09:15 PM
    Slightly off topic, but does anyone else find it supremely annoying when "you" is abbreviated as "u?". Please use your very smart BlackBerry keyboards to their fullest, folks. Thanks!
    01-02-14 09:36 PM
    The fresh prince of bel-air was the first to say it

Posted via CB10
    Actually...The Fresh Prince rapped about it...He's the DJ, I'm the Rapper. And it was years before he became the Fresh Prince of Bel Air....in fact he had to do Six Degrees of Separation and I think Made in America before he made it to Bel Air.

Posted via CB10
    01-02-14 09:49 PM
    Actually...The Fresh Prince rapped about it...He's the DJ, I'm the Rapper. And it was years before he became the Fresh Prince of Bel Air....in fact he had to do Six Degrees of Separation and I think Made in America before he made it to Bel Air.

Posted via CB10
    What? Made in America was after bel air. I'm certain of it!

Posted via CB10
    01-03-14 05:17 AM
    The more you control, the wilder she will get next time.
    01-03-14 05:22 AM
    And without parenting like the OP, we get kids going into school with all sorts of things(guns, knives, etc) and hurting one another. Or the rampant use of social media causes more then usual bullying.

Of course most of us all have had some sort of bullying when we were kids, but its not anywhere near the degree it is nowadays with social media. For those of you that say the OP is to strict, its parents like you that let your children do anything and not pay attention to what they're doing, and they are the ones that are shooting other kids in schools. Then when interviewed on TV after the fact, "I didnt know my child was even considering this", or I didnt know my child was being bullied on snapchat, facebook, txt messages, etc, etc.....

In short, better parents make better adults. Pay attention to what your children are doing online, and for the love of god, quite telling the OP how to parent his child.
    habs_fan, paper_monkey and shupor like this.
    01-03-14 05:35 AM
    What? Made in America was after bel air. I'm certain of it!

Posted via CB10
    I stand corrected.

Posted via CB10
    01-03-14 06:20 AM
    The Z10 is a great phone.
    01-03-14 07:09 AM
    Yes the screen shattering is my biggest concern. I am strict and she is not allowed to have SnapChat or Instagram. Only Facebook and I have access to her site. I like the parental control and security with BB. I just wanted other opinions before deciding on the phone for her. She gets to give some feedback but I will make the final decision. She has Kik that she loves and has tried it on my phone.

I have read that Kik is not secure at all and that it is very easy to pick off conversations, there I believe is info about it in the thread dealing with bbm on an iPhone so the couple went back to whatsapp, not terribly secure either but I have never trusted Kik, bbm is best between BlackBerry phones but whatsapp at this point in time is the best, did I say that? Cross platform messaging app

What will be nice is if you select the Zed for your daughter that you can use groups for all your family stuff pics, chores, events, sports etc

Good luck!

Posted from my ZED 30 jacked up on 10.2.1.1925 thank you very much!!
    01-03-14 07:15 AM
    Slightly off topic, but does anyone else find it supremely annoying when "you" is abbreviated as "u?". Please use your very smart BlackBerry keyboards to their fullest, folks. Thanks!
    U do have a point.

bombastic likes this.
    01-03-14 08:49 AM
    U do have a point.

aha.. I see what u did there..
    bombastic likes this.
    01-03-14 08:57 AM
    aha.. I see what u did there..
    Both u's are funny

Posted via CB10
    paper_monkey likes this.
    01-03-14 09:08 AM
    But to answer your questions seriously, yes.. that and things like gr8 (really any number in place of a letter(s) well everything that isn't a proper contraction I suppose.. if I'm honest.
    01-03-14 09:25 AM
    Clearly iPhone users should use ewe instead.
    This is epic. Love it.

01-03-14 06:02 PM
    dictator.....oh wow that's more than crossing the line. Children need supervision even while we allow them to choose, unless you believe in a free for all. He is already consenting to her having a phone, it is his right as a parent to assist her in choosing. This new age nonsense is becoming ridiculous
    There's nothing new age about leaving your kids unsupervised. It's the laziness of many parents who just bring the kids to the world and let everything and everyone else doing the babysitting. All things in life regarding raising children needs to be dictated by the parents. It's a basic responsibility for having kids. OP has every right to be concern and get educated when dealing with communication tools like smart phones and computers.
    Umaima_B_Dia and BBUniq01 like this.
    01-03-14 07:26 PM
    The more you control, the wilder she will get next time.
    When was the first. I must have missed it.

01-03-14 07:36 PM
    There's nothing new age about leaving your kids unsupervised. It's the laziness of many parents who just bring the kids to the world and let everything and everyone else doing the babysitting. All things in life regarding raising children needs to be dictated by the parents. It's a basic responsibility for having kids. OP has every right to be concern and get educated when dealing with communication tools like smart phones and computers.
    My daughter read some of the posts criticizing me and she is quite upset by some of the comments. I just explained that u , sorry you, have to overlook the negativity in the forums and seek out the good information that is offered by the majority of the members. I want her to be able to use this site as a way to optimize her device.

Umaima_B_Dia likes this.
    01-03-14 07:41 PM
    Studies have shown that parenting really doesn't matter all that much.

The child's peers have a much larger effect.

Posted via CB10
    01-03-14 08:37 PM
    My daughter read some of the posts criticizing me and she is quite upset by some of the comments. I just explained that u , sorry you, have to overlook the negativity in the forums and seek out the good information that is offered by the majority of the members. I want her to be able to use this site as a way to optimize her device.

Some think it's socially acceptable to pass snide, personal remarks on Internet forums in comparison with the "in-person" life.

Your parenting and the fact that your daughter agrees is worthy of appreciation! All the best to her w/ her Z10, she has a cool parent!

Posted via my beautiful, red Q5 (10.2.1.1925)
    01-03-14 09:00 PM
108 ... 2345