So, my daughter 's MyTouch stopped working today and will have to be replaced. It is under warranty so we will sell the replacement because the phone has some cons that my daughter is done dealing with. I had her research possible replacements, including the Z10, now that the price is reasonable on EBay. She knows about the leak OS and sideloads. So, what are ur thoughts about getting her the Z10? Must haves r removable battery and expandable memory, along with keyboard and camera. She has played with and likes my phone. We have Tmobile. She has a Samsung tablet and does not want a Samsung phone. By the way, she earned her phone for good grades etc so I want to make sure she is rewarded with one. The MyTouch lasted only six months. The antennae stopped working. Thank you.

Update: Z10 arrived while daughter was in school. Installed 1925 and Snap app. Daughter came home and was so happy that she was in tears. Phone is doing well with the update and she is happy. She has Shazam, Candy Crush and Kik downloaded. Snap also had the apps she had already downloaded from Google Play under the available tab. Parental control has been set. Thank you all.

BB Uniq BB Bold -Z10 with 1925
    Last edited by Jordane02; 01-08-14 at 10:53 PM.
    01-01-14 11:37 PM
    Well you already know how good the Z10 is since you already have one on the latest leak.

The main thing is what apps does she use? I don't want to stereotype, but I don't think many teenage girls are interested in side loading any apps, but maybe if she has a cool parent that could help her

I've never had to remove my battery on my Z10 for any performance issues, I only take it out to get my sim card when I'm switching to my Q10. The only app I've side loaded is the newest Instagram one, and that's mainly just to browse. I've never posted a picture using the side loaded app. I did load the Starbucks app and my banking app, and they work perfectly.

I think the Z10 is a great phone and I love mine. If she has a Samsung tablet, she already can have any apps she wants. I use an iPod touch, so if there's some app I want to try, I can get it on there. The Z10 is well built but the screen shattering is what I'd be worried about with any young person (myself included haha). Get her a case too, so she doesn't break it by accident.
    01-01-14 11:44 PM
    Yes the screen shattering is my biggest concern. I am strict and she is not allowed to have SnapChat or Instagram. Only Facebook and I have access to her site. I like the parental control and security with BB. I just wanted other opinions before deciding on the phone for her. She gets to give some feedback but I will make the final decision. She has Kik that she loves and has tried it on my phone.

Paisley Pirate and SifiGamer like this.
    01-01-14 11:50 PM
    Yes the screen shattering is my biggest concern. I am strict and she is not allowed to have SnapChat or Instagram. Only Facebook and I have access to her site. I like the parental control and security with BB. I just wanted other opinions before deciding on the phone for her. She gets to give some feedback but I will make the final decision. She has Kik that she loves and has tried it on my phone.

Thank God you're not my dad. I thought my parents were strict!
    01-01-14 11:56 PM
    Oh well if she can't even have SnapChat or Instagram, then I'd say for sure get it. Those are the main apps that people complain about not having.

BlackBerry has parental controls in BlackBerry World, so you might want to check that out too. I would have LOVED to have gotten a new BlackBerry as a reward as a teenager. The Z10 is MUCH better than the MyTouch, and on T-Mobile, we have HD Calling. I notice it when I talk to other T-Mobile customers. Call quality is amazing, you'll see.
    01-01-14 11:58 PM
    Well if she gets the BlackBerry you don't have to worry about Instagram or snapchat.

Posted via CB10
    ravipiero likes this.
    01-01-14 11:59 PM
    Oh well if she can't even have SnapChat or Instagram, then I'd say for sure get it. Those are the main apps that people complain about not having.

BlackBerry has parental controls in BlackBerry World, so you might want to check that out too. I would have LOVED to have gotten a new BlackBerry as a reward as a teenager. The Z10 is MUCH better than the MyTouch, and on T-Mobile, we have HD Calling. I notice it when I talk to other T-Mobile customers. Call quality is amazing, you'll see.
    Thank you. Will check the app out.

01-02-14 12:25 AM
    Well if she gets the BlackBerry you don't have to worry about Instagram or snapchat.

Posted via CB10
    She has the Samsung tablet but not allowed to download the apps. I have Instagram on my phone

01-02-14 12:26 AM

Why not let her pick the phone that she wants? What's the point if her giving feedback if you're gonna ultimately decide? You're coming across as a bit if a dictator there...

Posted via CB10
    01-02-14 12:34 AM
    The Z10 has Parental Controls that can lock certain apps on the device if that's what you're looking for.

Z10 for teen daughter-img_00001159.png

While as for apps, big names like Instagram are unavailable, but considering you said she's not allowed to use it, then that shouldn't be much of a problem.

BlackBerry Z10 / 10.2.0.1791
    RedFoxOne and agarwal.apar like this.
    01-02-14 12:34 AM
    01-02-14 12:35 AM
    The Z10 has Parental Controls that can lock certain apps on the device if that's what you're looking for.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00001159.png 
Views:	2040 
Size:	80.1 KB 
ID:	235338

While as for apps, big names like Instagram are unavailable, but considering you said she's not allowed to use it, then that shouldn't be much of a problem.

Thank u. This is the kind of feedback I was looking for. Very helpful.

01-02-14 12:52 AM
    Thank u. This is the kind of feedback I was looking for. Very helpful.

You're welcome. :]

01-02-14 12:54 AM
    Why not let her pick the phone that she wants? What's the point if her giving feedback if you're gonna ultimately decide? You're coming across as a bit if a dictator there...

Posted via CB10
    No, just parenting. I was laying out the background to get feedback from parents.

mkelley65, rdcanuck, q649 and 14 others like this.
    01-02-14 12:54 AM
    @Dirtymike14: More like a concerned parent
    01-02-14 12:56 AM
    OP - Z10 is a great phone and if you want your daughter to use Facebook and few other apps like BBM, Twitter or couple of games.. Z0 is a great phone.. Its been a month since I am using it and I haven't missed the *app-gap* (coming from iOS world) . It's a super fluid and fast phone. Does what it is supposed to.. No nonsense phone.. and the biggest advantage which people tend to miss is Search option on it. I have 3-4 pages on Z10 loaded with games/applications.. and I personally don't like creating folders.. So, rather than flipping through screens to launch an application, you can simply type the app name and it will keep your search results in cache(in thumbnail format) . So, over a period of time, your search option will have an array of applications which you frequently use which is a very handy feature!

And yes, congrats to your daughter for her good grades
    bombastic and Paisley Pirate like this.
    01-02-14 01:43 AM
    Well once again people on here are offering their opinions on your parenting style or method. What the heck do they know? I recently gave my 16 year old son a Z10 for Christmas....he had a DROID Razor and wanted the Z10 instead of an IPhone. I have access to his fb and email and I monitor his activity.

I understand your parenting stance and commend you for it. I would get your daughter the Z10!

Posted via CB10
    01-02-14 01:46 AM
    If she likes the Z10 then go for it!
    01-02-14 06:23 AM
    Women who use BlackBerries are most attractive and more sophisticated than women who don't.
    agarwal.apar and Tariq Nasir like this.
    01-02-14 06:32 AM
    Women who use BlackBerries are most attractive and more sophisticated than women who don't.
    *blink*

No, wait, let me re-read that...*blink*.

Yeah, no, I got nothin'. Other than, you know, an overwhelming sense of BLARGH that this was said in a thread about a young teenage girl...

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk HD
    01-02-14 07:38 AM
    I don't think that's the kind of feedback he was asking for.

01-02-14 07:41 AM
    Well once again people on here are offering their opinions on your parenting style or method. What the heck do they know? I recently gave my 16 year old son a Z10 for Christmas....he had a DROID Razor and wanted the Z10 instead of an IPhone. I have access to his fb and email and I monitor his activity.

I understand your parenting stance and commend you for it. I would get your daughter the Z10!

Posted via CB10
    Thank u. I mainly posted to get feedback from parents who have purchased the phone for tips etc. Cyber bullying is a reality nowadays and my daughter 's school has had an instance with Instagram being used for bullying. So, my teen understands my concerns and has seen it first hand. I did let her make her own choice, which is how we ended up with the MyTouch. Now she has been reading up on reviews etc on ALL of our options within a certain budget. As of last night, she wants the Z10. So, as a parent, getting additional tips and feedbacks from other parents is insightful IMO.

01-02-14 07:44 AM
    Lol. Hmmm. Which smartphone will make her less attractive? JK.

01-02-14 07:46 AM
    Thank u. I mainly posted to get feedback from parents who have purchased the phone for tips etc. Cyber bullying is a reality nowadays and my daughter 's school has had an instance with Instagram being used for bullying. So, my teen understands my concerns and has seen it first hand. I did let her make her own choice, which is how we ended up with the MyTouch. Now she has been reading up on reviews etc on ALL of our options within a certain budget. As of last night, she wants the Z10. So, as a parent, getting additional tips and feedbacks from other parents is insightful IMO.

Well I'm no parent, and I may even just be the same age as your daughter, but I completely understand your motives. If you've been looking at the Parental Controls, I think that would be more than enough to make your decision, as the restrictions there are pretty simple and easy to use.
    Z10 for teen daughter-img_00001167_edit.png
    Z10 for teen daughter-img_00001168_edit.png
    Z10 for teen daughter-img_00001169_edit.png

I think the bottom Content Restrictions may also be of good use for you.
    Z10 for teen daughter-img_00001170.png

If you feel like maybe she should be off an app, lock it. Having access to her social media is all on you, though.

In my opinion, the Z10 can be a really good parent-controlled device. So go ahead. I completely support it.

laketrout73 likes this.
    01-02-14 07:58 AM
    Why do you need a removable battery? If price is not a primary concern get the z30.

Posted via CB10
    01-02-14 08:51 AM
108 123 ...