Has anyone tries the Z10 on straight talk or any other MVNO carrier? Feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    04-01-13 01:15 PM
    I'm on a 9800 with Straight Talk, I would love to also try the Z10 on it. I would prefer to have a Q10, but I imagine they would react the same. Simple Mobile just lowered their BIS plan to $50 so I may give it a try.

Sent from the future in my BB10 powered DeLorean
    04-01-13 01:52 PM
    I'm on a 9800 with Straight Talk, I would love to also try the Z10 on it. I would prefer to have a Q10, but I imagine they would react the same. Simple Mobile just lowered their BIS plan to $50 so I may give it a try.

Sent from the future in my BB10 powered DeLorean
    As I understand, Z10 does not need a special Blackberry plan anymore. Its just a regular phone unless it is comnected to your business network and their BES.
    JR A likes this.
    04-01-13 02:37 PM
    As I understand, Z10 does not need a special Blackberry plan anymore. Its just a regular phone unless it is comnected to your business network and their BES.
    Correct.

I wonder though if MVNO's will still charge you for the "special BlackBerry internet/data" even though BB10 doesn't use BIS. Most cell phone reps have no idea, especially when it comes to BBRY services...
    04-01-13 09:06 PM
    Do not bother buying a Z10 if you use straight talk or any carrier like it. The Z10 has the carrier APN settings hard coded in the software. You pop in your SIM and the APN gets applied automatically. Sounds swell don't it? It's not though.

BlackBerry is so clueless, lazy or just plan wipped by the big carriers that they didn't add the ability for users to manually change the APN settings. Even on my LE Z10, which is factory unlocked, the APN is automatically applied and cannot be changed.

So in other words, if a carrier doesn't sell the Z10, then the correct APN setting won't be on the phone and you have no way to change it. My Z10 on straight talk with a AT&T SIM card works for SMS and voice. That's it. No data, no MMS. My Z10 sees the SIM and turns into a AT&T phone. Straight talk uses a different APN setting for data and MMS. So my unlocked Z10 might as well be locked.

Kinda sad, the Z10 is the only phone I can remember owning that wouldn't let you change the APN. Making it the absolute worst device for people that travel internationally or use prepaid. The worst part is, this is how BB10 was designed to work according to BlackBerry support people. So it probably won't be changing.

Posted via my Shiny Red LE Z10
    04-01-13 10:57 PM
    i think some OS version unlock the APN but almost all do not.

Saiga, I am in the same boat as you. I have ST ATT sim that i use in my N4 and when i loaded it into the Z10 LE it was hardcoded and it wasnt even the same APN setup that i had entered when using the N4. Its frustrating to say the least.
    04-01-13 11:26 PM
    i think some OS version unlock the APN but almost all do not.

Saiga, I am in the same boat as you. I have ST ATT sim that i use in my N4 and when i loaded it into the Z10 LE it was hardcoded and it wasnt even the same APN setup that i had entered when using the N4. Its frustrating to say the least.
    From what I heard, even in the strange cases where the OS does allow you to edit the APN, you can't save it. Just backing out of the settings app causes your modified settings to be lost. But I don't know if that is true or not, I've never been able to change them in the first place. I'm just going by the complaints that I've read.

And yep, we are in the exact same situation. I also use the Nexus 4. Was really looking forward to switching my SIM card back and forth and using each device as I chose, but that didn't work out. Now, my LE Z10 gets left at home everyday.

Posted via my Shiny Red LE Z10
    04-02-13 12:06 AM
    Thanks for the responses everyone. Shot down my dream if having the Z10 and cheaper service. Good to know information. Sucks that we have to be stuck on a major carrier to have this phone...
    04-02-13 11:06 AM