I guess the market has spoken about the Z10.Z10<9930-blackberry.jpg
    I have a 9930, I've been using blackberries for the last 10 years (it is my 5th one) and although I like previous versions, i personally feel that 9900/9930 was rock bottom for BlackBerry. In 2012 at a time when ios7 and jelly bean were being released, to be trying to compete with something that is little still more than just a phone you can email on was just so utterly pathetic. I had two (i got a warranty replacement when the microphone stopped working) Neither of them ran any apps with any dependability; half wouldn't load at all and the other half froze and required frequent removal and instillation to get them back working in ****-poor fashion again. Neither had a functional proximity sensor, so your face would randomly conference numbers from your address book into your calls. Previous generations were at least honest; they were cell phones with email, they didn't pretend to be something more, then leave you stranded and lost when you turned down the GPS on the rental car because you assumed the traffic app would work, and at least the telephone let me have phone sex with my wife without adding my customers into the conversation.

Nonetheless, Verizon thinks the Z10 is worth less than the worst phone I've ever used.
    belfastdispatcher likes this.
    01-14-14 06:28 PM
    Probably due to stock.
    Any sane person knows the z10 is miles ahead.

Also I don't know anybody who has had the hardware issues you faced with your 9930 on any bbos model yes including 9930.

Every piece of hardware has duds, and maybe quality control wasn't as great as it should have been but there is no way this was a common issue.

Software issues well sure users and BlackBerry alike recognised the limitations and thus we now have bb10 for the next 10 years.

Remember the old bbos was designed long before apps and heavy computing in a mobile existed, so naturally it never excelled with that functionality.

Posted via CB10
    01-14-14 06:51 PM
    Probably due to stock.
    Any sane person knows the z10 is miles ahead.

Also I don't know anybody who has had the hardware issues you faced with your 9930 on any bbos model yes including 9930.

Every piece of hardware has duds, and maybe quality control wasn't as great as it should have been but there is no way this was a common issue.

Software issues well sure users and BlackBerry alike recognised the limitations and thus we now have bb10 for the next 10 years.

Remember the old bbos was designed long before apps and heavy computing in a mobile existed, so naturally it never excelled with that functionality.

Posted via CB10
    Considering that I was 2 for 2 on the proximity sensor issue, of the coworkers I know of who have the 9930, all have had the same problem, The first result when I did a Google search for "Blackberry Proximity sensor" was this: Blackberry 9930 "Proximity Sensor" or whatever it ... - BlackBerry Support Community Forums
    When I did a search for "Face dialing" in the 9930/9900 forum, I found these:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-calls-856204/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...9900-a-779456/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...y-bold-811939/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ialing-792742/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...s-hold-743193/
    Those are actually just the first few I read from the list of results... there were many more... all describing the exact same problem I had. I think I can say with a high degree of confidence that this was a very common problem. I am aware that BBOS wasn't really designed for apps and heavy computing and years after other phones were able to do it, they were still using BBOS. If the 9930 had come out in 2008, the problems May have been excusable but for something that was released in late 2011 and remained blackberry's top dog until 2013 it was a just plain horrible phone. I do recognize that the BB10 phones are light years ahead of the 9930, which is why I was so surprised that it was more expensive than the z10. I think it is a symptom of the fact that the few holdouts left who refuse to dial on a touchscreen are just about the only market blackberry has managed to hold on to.
    01-15-14 01:40 AM
    You're entitled to your opinion but I don't agree at all that the 9900/9930 is a terrible phone. Your problems with the 9930 sound self-inflicted and/or software related. As to the viability of the 9900/9930 in this day and age I say it's still a reliable and efficient device for those who make calling, texting, emailing and messaging a high priority. It simply allows one to get work done quickly without all the trivial productivity-wasting nonsense associated with full touch phones.
    01-15-14 04:08 AM
    You're right about rock bottom. BlackBerry were never so far behind as with the BB7 phones. The 9900's battery was a disgrace for a high end device . It could have been a really solid if dated phone without the battery and quality issues. Maybe the best looking BlackBerry ever.

BlackBerry was working hard on the BB10 phones while they were releasing the OS7 phones. I think they were really just placeholders.

So far my Z10 has exeeded my expectations and restored my faith.

Posted via CB10
    01-15-14 06:25 AM
    I suspect the reason for the pricing discrepancy could simply be that there is a large surplus of unsold Z10s, and relatively few remaining 9930s. My guess is that there will be some ongoing hardcore demand for the 9900 series, and they will become increasingly expensive as it become harder to find.
    01-15-14 06:55 AM
    You're entitled to your opinion but I don't agree at all that the 9900/9930 is a terrible phone. Your problems with the 9930 sound self-inflicted and/or software related. As to the viability of the 9900/9930 in this day and age I say it's still a reliable and efficient device for those who make calling, texting, emailing and messaging a high priority. It simply allows one to get work done quickly without all the trivial productivity-wasting nonsense associated with full touch phones.
    I like this... I also liked in reading through the threads of people asking about the same problem in the 9900/9930 forum, the way that someone even suggested that although he did know others who had the same problem, they were all quite "round-faced", so the OP should consider losing weight. Incidentally I'm 6'0" tall and 167 lbs.
    01-15-14 09:37 AM
    That conference call issue can be annoying, but I wouldn't be surprised if this also indirectly helps drive sales on devices Verizon wants to move, such as the Z10. The 9930 is a good device and I still think it is hard to beat but could it be Verizon being more aggressive with the devices it wants to sell?
    01-15-14 09:50 AM
    I don't think it's just annoying. the ability to make phone calls is any phone's most fundamental function. People use these phones for work, and the random numbers that they are conferencing in might be important customers. I found the problem bad enough that I dug up my old 9650 and had it activated rather than taking a risk of conferencing the wrong person into the wrong call
    01-15-14 10:42 AM