Whenever I try to watch youtube videos on my blackberry 8900, it says "an error has occurred while trying to play media."

Its very frustrating.

I have a blackberry data plan with my carrier, etc... But I can't view youtube videos. Anyone had this problem and solved it?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-30-10 01:49 AM
    Wish I could help but works fine on my phone... course I am on a Torch 9800
    09-30-10 02:54 AM
    i have had problems with you tube have you tried uninstalling the app and trying another one? im on a bold 9000 but you tube works but still breaks up now and again
    09-30-10 06:02 AM
    Whenever I try to watch youtube videos on my blackberry 8900, it says "an error has occurred while trying to play media."

Its very frustrating.

I have a blackberry data plan with my carrier, etc... But I can't view youtube videos. Anyone had this problem and solved it?

try this, browser > menu> options>general properties > check switching to WAP for streaming media, also check if javascript is enabled.

this worked for me in the past.

Although now I seem to have the same problem as you, I can only stream via wifi, can't do it with 3g. Most frustrating.. any thoughts? It;s not just youtube.. all kinds of streaming.

edit: solved, Entered my carrier's APN setting correctly. Options >advanced options> TCP/IP then enter your carrier's APN login.
    Last edited by hibanzai; 09-30-10 at 09:17 AM.
    09-30-10 09:01 AM
    Did that and still no luck. I called my provider and the guy was as dumb as a box of hair. He said blackberrys can't play any type of youtube video.

09-30-10 05:44 PM
    personally, my 8530 (from Claro jamaica) send me to WAP but i have Opera and so far it plays.
    it may be the Data plan

PS try the wifi
    09-30-10 08:01 PM
    Does it work in a wifi hit spot?

09-30-10 11:53 PM
    I haven't tried wifi yet. I'll do that next time I get a chance.

10-01-10 12:36 AM
    I find that my youtube works the best, and without problems in a wifi hot spot.
    10-01-10 12:42 AM
    Googletube alway has problems. That is why I don't use my device, but my computer, to watch videos on.

10-01-10 05:00 AM
    I never had very good luck with youtube on my 8900. If it did work it was all garbled and painful to watch. Edge isn't very youtube friendly.
    10-01-10 08:16 AM
    Have you tried the free YouTube Player in the CB App Store?
    10-01-10 08:27 AM
    I tried the free player but it gives me the same error.

10-01-10 03:35 PM
    I gave up on watching youtube on my 9630 because I think I tried everything.
    10-01-10 04:08 PM
    For watching YouTube on 3G or EDGE on a phone not on its original carrier, you'd have to input the apn setting manually (Menu > Options > advanced options > TCP/IP) then input your carriers apn address. For fido its internet.fido.ca. You'd have to search for your carriers apn address on your own wich shouldn't be hard to find. I know this cuz I've had the same problem back in december 09 and it took me 5/6 months to figure out the problem.

For watching YouTube videos on EDGE smoothly you'd have to switch to normal quality than high quality. It uses less data speeds that way. Worked that way on my loner pearl should work on the 8900s or any non 3G smartphones too.

Anyways hope this info helps all and good luck!

10-01-10 07:09 PM
    No luck with wifi. I believe I had youtube working on my curve 8520 and that was an unlocked phone. This one is from my local carrier.

10-02-10 09:25 PM
    Oh wifi related issues are from your end not your carrier's end. Check ur wifi settings and make sure the RTSP option is set to enable or w.e (don't remember which tab its under if you have a linksys router) but that should fix it. Because YouTube Mobile videos stream through RSTP and if its not enabled u can't stream them.

10-02-10 10:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD