I think you either have the knack for technology or you don't. I picked up my yoga teacher's Android because she wanted to change the lock screen pic. Now, I haven't used an Android since the Thunderbolt and this was an Different model obviously with a different "skin." I was able, within a few minutes, to change Her lock screen pic even though it's done differently on my apple and on BlackBerry.

On my iPhone I go to the picture then press the arrow then set as. I first tried that on her Android. No go...so I went to settings. D'uh. It's what anyone with phone experience would do. And some folks, like my teacher, just don't play around with their phones. She calls, texts and emails. That's it. Same with my mom. She just doesn't care to learn about the phone features. She just calls and texts. She has an iPhone and doesn't even use email on It.

So it's the person, not the OS really. They're all basically the same when it comes down to it. It certainly has nothing to do with being smart or stupid. It's just experience. My mom is really smart, she just doesn't care about phones. If a person came into my teaxher's class as a yoga beginner and didn't know the poses, she wouldn't call them stupid. They're new.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    02-25-15 05:50 PM

So it's the person, not the OS really. They're all basically the same when it comes down to it. It certainly has nothing to do with being smart or stupid. It's just experience. My mom is really smart, she just doesn't care about phones. If a person came into my teaxher's class as a yoga beginner and didn't know the poses, she wouldn't call them stupid. They're new.
    Thanks for that.

See, imho the difference is the willingness to learn, as described in your own example. The yoga beginners don't know, but are willing to learn. And therefore there's no judgement, rather encouragement.

Your mom is smart, but she's not willing to learn. But that's all she needs and uses it for. Totally ok.

The grey zone is entered when people are not willing to learn, but still wanna use features and have everything, but then instead of sitting down for a few minutes or an hour and taking some time to familiarize themselves with the device, simply "dump" their request (due lack of effort and personal convenience) onto somebody else, blaming inexperience or claiming to be non-technical, etc...

I'm happy to help :-D , but "using" someone else out of convenience is slack and simply not right. I don't like to support that behavior. That goes for other areas of life, but with tech it's quite obvious, because it can be pulled off easily without being found out or getting embarrassed...

(obvious case: "Can you mow my lawn?" - "Yes, sure"... while the other person is sitting down and having a drink... ouch, come on, give him twenty...)

I hope I didn't express my feelings about it in a way that might seem too harsh, gotta love people ... :-)

�   "Oh Classic, you are the fairest here so true. But Passport is a thousand times more powerful than you..." (no offense, Classic is a great device, when it's charged)   �
    02-25-15 09:55 PM
    C
    Thanks for that.

See, imho the difference is the willingness to learn, as described in your own example. The yoga beginners don't know, but are willing to learn. And therefore there's no judgement, rather encouragement.

Your mom is smart, but she's not willing to learn. But that's all she needs and uses it for. Totally ok.

The grey zone is entered when people are not willing to learn, but still wanna use features and have everything, but then instead of sitting down for a few minutes or an hour and taking some time to familiarize themselves with the device, simply "dump" their request (due lack of effort and personal convenience) onto somebody else, blaming inexperience or claiming to be non-technical, etc...

I'm happy to help :-D , but "using" someone else out of convenience is slack and simply not right. I don't like to support that behavior. That goes for other areas of life, but with tech it's quite obvious, because it can be pulled off easily without being found out or getting embarrassed...

(obvious case: "Can you mow my lawn?" - "Yes, sure"... while the other person is sitting down and having a drink... ouch, come on, give him twenty...)

I hope I didn't express my feelings about it in a way that might seem too harsh, gotta love people ... :-)

�   "Oh Classic, you are the fairest here so true. But Passport is a thousand times more powerful than you..." (no offense, Classic is a great device, when it's charged)   �
    Meh, people ask me for help with their phone all the time (they know I like wireless tech). My coworkers, my parents, acquaintances at the studio, etc. I help them. Mine isn't to judge whether they're being lazy or unwilling or whatever. I just help them even knowing they could learn. I'm not going to sit and stew that they should be willing to learn or could. It's whatever. My coworkers, one specifically, asks me so many questions about her Android. Some easy, some I had to google for her. Doesn't bother me and I don't condemn Her for not knowing or even wanting to learn. Same with my mom. She used to work X-ray equipment. I KNOW she could learn to put podcasts on her phone. Yet she asks me to do it and I do. I don't lecture her or feel bitter. If you do, don't "help" the person because you really aren't helping.

People have their reasons, and we don't always know them. For my mom, she had a stroke and has since retired from X-ray. So it's takes her longer to do things now. For her, figuring out how to put podcasts on her phone would be frustratingly slow and she doesn't think its worth it. So I help. I don't see the point in judging others. Especially when you probably don't know their story.

I do think it's generational as well. Those that "grew up" with tech just have what seems like "natural ability" for it. Of course it's learned, even hard wired into the brain for those young enough. Kids are way more savvy than my generation (I'm 35). We grew up with Atari, Nintendo and most of us got our first cell phone in our late teens or 20s. So we're alrady more experienced than our parents by default. And of course kids now grow up with iPads and smartphones. I've seem videos of 3 year old effortlessly scrolling through an iPad. I think it is learned much younger and also partly wired in the DNA from the parents.

Are people smart because they can use tech? Not really. They just have experience or want to. My coworker has a fantastic garden. I try and try and mine isn't near as good. Not because I'm dumb, but I've less experience. I ask her for tips all the time.

You can't "be used" as you put it unless you're willing to be. If you feel that way, simply don't help. Offering service to someone while being bitter or judgmental seems not right too, doesn't it? "Can you mow my lawn?"from person sipping drink. "No, mow your own damn lawn!" Solved.
    Last edited by Chrisy; 02-26-15 at 12:27 AM.
    02-26-15 12:06 AM
    Meh, people ask me for help with their phone all the time (they know I like wireless tech). My coworkers, my parents, acquaintances at the studio, etc. I help them. Mine isn't to judge whether they're being lazy or unwilling or whatever. I just help them even knowing they could learn. I'm not going to sit and stew that they should be willing to learn or could. It's whatever. My coworkers, one specifically, asks me so many questions about her Android. Some easy, some I had to google for her. Doesn't bother me and I don't condemn Her for not knowing or even wanting to learn. Same with my mom. She used to work X-ray equipment. I KNOW she could learn to put podcasts on her phone. Yet she asks me to do it and I do. I don't lecture her or feel bitter. If you do, don't "help" the person because you really aren't helping.

People have their reasons, and we don't always know them. For my mom, she had a stroke and has since retired from X-ray. So it's takes her longer to do things now. For her, figuring out how to put podcasts on her phone would be frustratingly slow and she doesn't think its worth it. So I help. I don't see the point in judging others. Especially when you probably don't know their story.
    Sure, your story is different to mine. I appreciate it very much when people are willing to learn. If you've worked in tech support for any number of years, your patience might wear bit thinner, and you know your usual suspects... :-D

For you it's fun, because you do it freely, occasionally and no-obligation, for me it might rather feel like work, it can happen, if you let it happen. Sometimes to the extend that you feel you've only got friends (at least some) because you can fix their stuff. Now, without judging me for my point of view and experience, I believe you can see where our stories differ.

Neighbor knocks after 11pm (and wakes me up!) because his wi-fi is down. "Excuse me, mate, you'll have to wait till tomorrow or ring your carrier...!" I believe I'm not being unreasonable here. This happens to me all the time, sometimes I can't even have a normal conversation without any tech involved, I have to remind people that I have a life and a personality outside my job or job experiences.

I also mentioned I'm happy to help, but not at the price of my own sanity...

God bless!

:-)

02-26-15 12:31 AM
    I worked at Verizon Wireless for 3 years, AT&T (Cingular) for 2. Regardless, almost every job is customer service in some way. I can't think of many that aren't. I don't always think it's fun to help people, but I'm not always doing it to have fun. I'm helping to help someone. That's the reward, if any. Even at work, I *try (don't always succeed) to see my job as helping others because It's right rather than just for the money. I work in the medical field in a technology capacity.

Your situation above with the neighbor sounds more like a failure to set boundaries issue. Somehow the neighbor felt that it would be ok with you to wake you up at that the of night. Probably you'll want to clearly explain to him that that isn't acceptable behavior. You literally teach people how to treat you. That's YOUR responsibility. Unless the people you're discussing have learning disabilities, I'm sure they can understand and respect your boundaries once you clearly set them. If this is a pattern that is seemingly "happening to you" a lot then it's time to look at yourself and what YOU need to change.

I understand helping to the point of losing your sanity for sure! Been there! That's when you need to step back and make it known what you're willing to do, and not do for others. To yourself first, and then express that to others. It sound like you're a giving guy so, yes, people can tend to take advantage of that. That's why its up to you to stop that. I know the feeling of "they wouldn't even talk to me if I didn't help them." That's a lonely feeling to have towards someone. There are users out there, but that's their issue, not yours. You can continue helping them freely or don't. Up to you of course. Do what you have to to stay right. I do see your point of view too because I have been there and had those feelings.

It's been the opposite for me actually. The longer I've worked in customer service, the more patient I've learned to become.

Have a great night! Thanks for passing a sleepless night with me!
    Last edited by Chrisy; 02-26-15 at 12:54 AM.
    02-26-15 12:42 AM
    I worked at Verizon Wireless for 3 years, AT&T (Cingular) for 2. Regardless, almost every job is customer service in some way. I can't think of many that aren't. I don't always think it's fun to help people, but I'm not always doing it to have fun. I'm helping to help someone. That's the reward, if any. Even at work, I *try (don't always succeed) to see my job as helping others because It's right rather than just for the money. I work in the medical field in a technology capacity.

Your situation above with the neighbor sounds more like a failure to set boundaries issue. Somehow the neighbor felt that it would be ok with you to wake you up at that the of night. Probably you'll want to clearly explain to him that that isn't acceptable behavior. You literally teach people how to treat you. That's YOUR responsibility. Unless the people you're discussing have learning disabilities, I'm sure they can understand and respect your boundaries once you clearly set them. If this is a pattern that is seemingly "happening to you" a lot then it's time to look at yourself and what YOU need to change.

I understand helping to the point of losing your sanity for sure! Been there! That's when you need to step back and make it known what you're willing to do, and not do for others. To yourself first, and then express that to others. It sound like you're a giving guy so, yes, people can tend to take advantage of that. That's why its up to you to stop that. I know the feeling of "they wouldn't even talk to me if I didn't help them." That's a lonely feeling to have towards someone. There are users out there, but that's their issue, not yours. You can continue helping them freely or don't. Up to you of course. Do what you have to to stay right. I do see your point of view too because I have been there and had those feelings.

It's been the opposite for me actually. The longer I've worked in customer service, the more patient I've learned to become.

Have a great night! Thanks for passing a sleepless night with me!
    Same to you. Thanks again... :-)

Helping to help someone, not to be used by someone. I believe it's mutual. That why I brought in that (exaggerated?) example with the lawn.

Yes, I'm a bit too soft sometimes and people don't seem to have any self-restraint. It used to be a little different, as far as I can remember when I grew up. Well, it's 2015 now...

(*it's early evening here, just after sunset, btw, you were helping again, ...me

Chrisy likes this.
    02-26-15 03:27 AM
    I think that we put way more focus into what people SHOULD be doing with their smartphones than what they really care about doing with them. Could they learn all of the bells an whistles of iOS, Android, BB10, and Windows phone? Sure, if they took the time and wanted to learn how to use all of the different features of a particular OS. At the end of the day most people don't really care or want to know all of the different things they can do. They want them for basic functions - How to get music on them, how to download apps, and how to text and email. Beyond that I've never met a person that cared that they could hook their phone up to their TV via an HDMI cable. I've never met a person that cares about Miracast. I know plenty of people who have an Apple TV and an iPhone that have no idea that they can control the Apple TV with their iPhone or use Airplay to stream video or browse the web on their TV through their Apple TV. Most people just don't care about this stuff. I always try to tell people if they want to learn, if they don't then that's fine too.

People in here always make comments like "He or she has an Android phone and has no idea how to operate the phone." The same holds true for any OS. Put a BB10 phone in their hand and there isn't going to be this need or desire for them to use remote file management or to use the native file browser. My wife used a Z10 for a while and she used it the exact same way she uses her iPhone now. She uses apps, listens to music, browses the web, and sends messages. Beyond that she didn't care about any of the other features of BB10. The same holds true for a lot of the population.
    02-26-15 06:05 AM
    OP. You're correct. According to Sprint..that's exactly the reason they only offer the Q10. You have to be smart to use a BlackBerry.

Not Fours Years But A Lifetime
    02-26-15 06:08 AM
    OP. You're correct. According to Sprint..that's exactly the reason they only offer the Q10. You have to be smart to use a BlackBerry.

Not Fours Years But A Lifetime
    LOL.
    02-26-15 06:42 AM
    I think that we put way more focus into what people SHOULD be doing with their smartphones than what they really care about doing with them. Could they learn all of the bells an whistles of iOS, Android, BB10, and Windows phone? Sure, if they took the time and wanted to learn how to use all of the different features of a particular OS. At the end of the day most people don't really care or want to know all of the different things they can do. They want them for basic functions - How to get music on them, how to download apps, and how to text and email. Beyond that I've never met a person that cared that they could hook their phone up to their TV via an HDMI cable. I've never met a person that cares about Miracast. I know plenty of people who have an Apple TV and an iPhone that have no idea that they can control the Apple TV with their iPhone or use Airplay to stream video or browse the web on their TV through their Apple TV. Most people just don't care about this stuff. I always try to tell people if they want to learn, if they don't then that's fine too.

People in here always make comments like "He or she has an Android phone and has no idea how to operate the phone." The same holds true for any OS. Put a BB10 phone in their hand and there isn't going to be this need or desire for them to use remote file management or to use the native file browser. My wife used a Z10 for a while and she used it the exact same way she uses her iPhone now. She uses apps, listens to music, browses the web, and sends messages. Beyond that she didn't care about any of the other features of BB10. The same holds true for a lot of the population.
    I totally agree. When I got my first computer, many years ago, I became very frustrated trying to learn how to use it as I was not brought up with computers.
    Then one of my friends, who was in the computer business, gave me advice that I never forgot:
    "Computers were made to be used by everyone. But not everyone has to know how to do everything a computer can do. Learn what you need and forgot the rest".
    So, little by little I learned things as I needed them and was much less stressed. (now I know more than most of my friends).
    Most people don't read CB, or any other tech web site. They are not obsessed with their phones and don't have the time or necessity to find out everything it can do. Doesn't make them less intelligent. They might be spending their time trying to cure cancer or working to put food on the table!!!

9000 > Q10 > Z10 >Z30>?
    02-26-15 07:09 AM
    Most people want things dumbed down, that why so many can't deal with the track pad. A glass slab is as dumbed down as it gets , that's why children prefer it. . For them putting their thumb in the middle of the screen were they can see it and see were they are touching using that big ugly editing circle ,make more sense. I on the other hand prefer accuracy and speed . The only drawback of the classic is its lower end specs ,which make it slower.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-15 11:16 AM
    Most people want things dumbed down, that why so many can't deal with the track pad. A glass slab is as dumbed down as it gets , that's why children prefer it. . For them putting their thumb in the middle of the screen were they can see it and see were they are touching using that big ugly editing circle ,make more sense. I on the other hand prefer accuracy and speed . The only drawback of the classic is its lower end specs ,which make it slower.

Posted via CB10
    Exactly! It took me a few years to learn how to use the trackball on my BlackBerry! Just when I finally got the hang of it, they switched to the Trackpad! Eventually I got so exasperated trying to figure out the trackpad that I just switched to an iPhone!
    02-26-15 07:08 PM
    The Brits sum this up well. There are a lot of "thick" people in this world.. spoon fed by the media not to actually think and exercise their brain! Welcome to the pablum consuming public.

Posted by my fabulous Passport
    02-26-15 07:21 PM

Posted via CB10
    Children, Z30, Z10, Z3, Q10, Q5, and Passport owners, I'm sure you mean?
    Chrisy and donnation like this.
    02-26-15 08:21 PM

Posted via CB10
    You just said you prefer accuracy and speed and then claim you use a Classic which is slower. How can you prefer speed if the phone you are using is admittedly slow?
    pantlesspenguin and Chrisy like this.
    02-26-15 09:55 PM

Posted via CB10
    That "big ugly editing circle " works much better on the iPhone than on my Z30, though I hate to admit it. I do miss the little track ball on my 9000!

9000 > Q10 > Z10 >Z30>?
    Chrisy likes this.
    02-27-15 07:09 AM
    The first BB10 phone I saw at the store was a Z10. It took me less than 2 minutes to figure out the swiping and how it's laid out. Does this make me smart? No but I'm good at what I do for a living. Would I tell people I'm smart because I know how to operate a BB10 phone? Never because it would be IDIOTIC to do so
    02-27-15 11:42 PM
142 ... 456