...your main Blackberry dies and you choose to activate an old 7100G instead of installing and activating Blackberry Connect on an AT&T Tilt.

The phone part of my two year old 8700c stopped transmitting audio. I'm not asking for a new device to replace the 8700 as I was planning on holding out for a Bold, and hoped that the old 8700 would keep working until it was released. Oh well. My choice of devices I can pick from here at the office are one of several retired 7100G's or the AT&T Tilt we got in late last year to evaluate Blackberry Connect.

Now I'm not a Windows Mobile hater by any means. I've been using Pocket PC's since the HP Jornada 568 and still carry around a Dell Axim X51v, but after six months of trying I just could not contend with the Tilt any longer. It would start out fine, but after three months the intermittent delays between screens and launching apps would get so bad that a hard reset was the only thing that would clear it up. On top of that, on the Tilt Blackberry Connect connects to the blackberry.net APN yet pretty much everything else that wants an internet connection wants to connect to MediaNet. Blackberry Connect provides a way to browse the internet through an icon to a Pocket IE session that is proxied through blackberry.net which works pretty well. However running anything else either doesn't work because it can't take the device radio away from Blackberry Connect, or interrupts email because it takes the radio away from blackberry.net for the MediaNet session. The thought of going back to that hassle just made me cringe. It made having to deal with SureType again seem like a picnic in comparison (not dissing SureType but it just isn't my cup of tea).

So, until AT&T releases the Bold I'll be slummin' it with a 7100G.
    08-14-08 01:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD