I have owned a Blackberry now for roughly 48 hours and I'm totally addicted! The first night I was up until 2am hanging out with it. I woke up at 7am with what was surely my first Blackberry hangover!

I can't believe how amazing this phone is...is it okay to call it a phone? I mean, it's so much more than a phone and I'd really hate to offend anybody with my very first post as a new Crackhead!

So let me start at the beginning. I have a home based business and need to stay in constant contact with phone and emails. I travel a lot (I am a Travel Agent) so it's important to me to be able to work in my office, airport, hotel, car, ship, etc.... you get the picture. I got a UtStarcom 6700 a couple years ago but honestly I just didn't use it like I thought I would. I hated it as a phone. It was awkword to dial and it felt like I was talking on a brick. I used it mostly to tether to my laptop which is kind of ironic since i gave up my wirelss card to go with the 6700. I did like being able to check emails on the flly instead of pullling out my laptop but it definately wasn't what I thought it was going to be since I ended up carring a Razr for voicecalls too.

Last week I saw an news report saying that At&t was going to match Verizon's offer of an unlimited minute plan for $99. I had been toying with the idea of switching from my CDMA carrier; Alltel to the GSM format of At&t so I could use international sim cards when I traveled overseas. Of course by goign with At&t I would be able to get the hyped up IPhone too! I went into my local store and got a live demo on the IPhone. Oh don't get me wrong, it's definately "cool" but is it really that functional for the business basics? I guess I'll never know because I didn't get one, I came very close though!! Luckily you can't get it in my local store and I would've had to go home and order it online or over the phone. On my way home I swung into my local Alltel store to get a warranty replacment for my new LG I got in December. I started telling the rep I was considering picking up a line from At&t to get the IPhone and he asked me if he could demo the Blackberry 8830 World Edition. I was skepitcal that I would use it more than I did my 6700 at first but when he told me it would push my emails thru on Blackberry's service when I was overseas in a lot of countries without extra charges I was sold (god I hope that's true! LOL)

The first thing that blew me away was the 10.5 seconds (if even) that it took me to interface my Yahoo email. No POP server, no SMPT server ...or whatever those are.....just typed in the email address and password and I was good to go. But then Blackberry really rocked my world when I realized that when I replied to an email on my BB that it put a copy of it in my sent folders in my online Yahoo! OMG.....that is HUGE!!! When I used Yahoo Plus or Outlook on my 6700 or lapstop, the sent emails aren't saved to the server. I live and die by my sent email file, it's a searchable record of all my business communications which is one of the reasons I avoided replying to emails from my 6700, it was just easier and better to wait until I got back to the office so I could have it go to my sent file. I know my Outlook will save them on my laptop but I find it's just easier to use a webbased email so I can access it from any computer, not just mine.

So that was the start of it, from there I was hooked, reeled in and mounted on the wall as an official Crackberry junkie. I must mention I had one glitch with my original BB, yes, it 48 hours I've had two! After less than 24 hours my first one started deleting my call logs and text messages. I called Alltel customer service and they said it wasn't common in the 8830's but it is a problem, more often with the Pearl though. They told me Blackberry was working on a patch but they didn't know when it would be ready. I literally ran out the door and back to the store to get a new one before it closed for the weekend. The idea of having a sick Blackberry until Monday morning was more than I could bear. It didn't take me long to get my new/new BB looking just like the "old" one!

I've spent the entire Sunday with my BB, not letting it get more than a foot away from me, barely ever putting it down. My heart flutters when I get my little "tones" signally another message and I can play with my BB!! I even activated TelNav's GPS which I think is totally awesome! I navigated myself to the local Applebee's yesterday even though I've been there a zillion times! LOL I figured I need to practice with it so I'd know how to use it the next time I'm away!!

Ok, enough of my ramblings, I'm going back to reading the boards to get more tips on using my 8830.... Just an hour ago I learned I didn't have to type a period at the end of a sentence, that if I just double spaced it automatically inserted it...........AMAZING!
    02-24-08 08:56 PM
    Wow!!! That's pretty serious business Your first born....Welcome to the Addiction!!!!
    02-24-08 08:59 PM
    Haha the wife yes but not my first born. welcome to the CB forums.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-24-08 09:04 PM
    i'm glad you LOVE your BB so much! welcome to CB :]
    02-24-08 09:08 PM
    lol... talk about hitting the addiction hard. Welcome to CB I am sure your addiction will only grow.
    02-24-08 09:11 PM
    yeah, blackberry can be really addicting!
    02-24-08 09:15 PM
    Wow!!! That's pretty serious business Your first born....Welcome to the Addiction!!!!

I should've mentioned that my first (and only) born is 21....does that say it all? I could buy several BB's...outside of contract...for what a 21 will cost you in a year! LOL

Thanks for the warm welcome. Can anybody recommend a good thumb therapist?
    02-24-08 09:15 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry, I so glad you love your BlackBerry as much as I do!
    02-24-08 10:18 PM
    I have owned a Blackberry now for roughly 48 hours and I'm totally addicted! The first night I was up until 2am hanging out with it. I woke up at 7am with what was surely my first Blackberry hangover!
    I've had my first BlackBerry (a Curve) for about two months. Just about every time I start to think I have it customized as much as a phone can be cusztomized, I find something else to do with it.

One of the most amazing things about this phone is how incredibly customizable it is. There are a million things you can do to personalize it. People laugh at my phone and ask if it cleans my house.

I'd like to tell you that one night until 2am is all you need, but if you really want to go the distance, there are many 2am nights ahead if you want to really tweak your new BlackBerry.

Welcome aboard.
    02-24-08 10:27 PM
    You guys Crack me up.........(pun inteneded)
    02-25-08 06:30 AM
    US Marines already got my first born (along with his wife), So I guess I could say the same thing.
    02-25-08 07:13 AM
    Take my wife, but not my "first born;" Golden Retriever, Samson...I could never part with him!
    02-25-08 07:24 AM
    OOOORAH US MARINES!!! Semper Fi do or die and blood makes the grass grow!!! I was born in a bomb crater, my mother is the M16 and my father the devil!!!

Give up my first born for my Berry?? Yeah, why not.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-25-08 03:09 PM
    Dang. I think the original poster needs to lay off the crack
    02-25-08 08:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD