Because I really really really really want my apps to be able to make phone calls behind my back even if I disable that permission. [/sarc]

The Register: App permissions? Pah! Rogue Android soft can 'place phone calls at will'
    raino, MarsupilamiX, lift and 7 others like this.
    07-08-14 04:17 PM
    No, no. You don't understand. Android is secure!
    spikesolie, lift, Nayalm and 2 others like this.
    07-08-14 04:49 PM
    Luckily I'm on 4.4.4 :chortle:

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.3247
    darkehawke likes this.
    07-08-14 04:53 PM
    No, no. You don't understand. Android is secure!
    Lol but seriously

Posted via CB10
    07-08-14 05:54 PM
    No it is secure, it really is.

Now if only people cared about this!

From my z30
    07-08-14 06:04 PM
    Sideloading is basically leaving your key under the mat and then paying for a home security system.
    07-08-14 07:01 PM
    Sideloading is basically leaving your key under the mat and then paying for a home security system.
    Explain ....

Posted via CB10
    Nayalm likes this.
    07-08-14 08:14 PM
    I've wondered about this since first hearing that android apps could be downloaded and ran on Blackberry. I've heard of Chen slamming android security, but not seen much discussion of whether android apps on Blackberry devices compromises their security..... Does anyone have any info on this ?

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums
    07-08-14 08:36 PM
    I've wondered about this since first hearing that android apps could be downloaded and ran on Blackberry. I've heard of Chen slamming android security, but not seen much discussion of whether android apps on Blackberry devices compromises their security..... Does anyone have any info on this ?

android apps have access to whatever you give them access too. You cant select to disable permissions with them though. So if the flashlight app asks for permissions to you contacts it can do whatever malicious things it wants to with them. The sandbox doesnt protect you from anything if you allow the app access through permissions

this instance appears to gain access even without granting permissions though so hopefully under the sandbox this wouldnt happen on BB
    07-08-14 08:46 PM

That's common sense though.

Posted via CB10
    07-08-14 10:20 PM
    Bla1ze posted some good information about the sandbox BlackBerry uses to run android apps. I hope he sees this thread and can give us some information. I'm not sure, but I think android apps cannot access the same permissions on BlackBerry devices that they can on standard android devices.
    moody likes this.
    07-08-14 10:42 PM
    Bla1ze posted some good information about the sandbox BlackBerry uses to run android apps. I hope he sees this thread and can give us some information. I'm not sure, but I think android apps cannot access the same permissions on BlackBerry devices that they can on standard android devices.

here a good reference that i found
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...e-else-905378/

it might be the best explanation that I can give really on how it works.
    Nayalm, moody and riss89 like this.
    07-08-14 10:53 PM
    I know what sandboxing is. I think that BlackBerry's sandboxing of android apps does provide better protection than running the same app on android itself. That is an old article and BlackBerry DOES sandbox android apps with it's runtime.
    Nayalm likes this.
    07-08-14 10:59 PM
    Android is a cesspool, I repeat cesspool, I won't ever allow an Android app to be downloaded and I am on BES, however the following in part is what BlackBerry has to say on the matter,with Amazon now official it will be interesting to see how well sand boxing works without Trend vetting the apps.

"BlackBerry implemented several controls to ensure that Android apps do not present a security threat to data held on its devices, as security is the company's main differentiator in the corporate market. For example, all Android apps will run in a sandbox. In order to cause damage, a malicious app must avoid detection during app-store review and be able to leave the sandbox. Sandboxes have been defeated before (take the Java sandbox, for example), so this is an area to watch carefully.

For an Android app to use the runtime, developers must first repackage and port the Android application into the BAR file format, which is the compatible file format required for an application to work on the BB10. BlackBerry provides various tools, such as the BlackBerry Packager for Android apps, to make this process reasonably straightforward. In order for any app to be distributed through the BlackBerry World storefront, though, it has to be digitally signed. This requires a developer to request a code-signing key from BlackBerry and submit the app for approval. BlackBerry is incorporating Trend Micro's Mobile Applications Reputation Service into its own system for analyzing applications, and all applications on the BlackBerry World application store are scanned for potentially malicious behavior. There is also a certification called Built for BlackBerry, which consists of a set of additional tests covering the user interface, user experience, security and optimization.

To further protect sensitive data, BB10's Balance security feature separates work and personal environments, and ensures that work-related information can be wiped remotely if necessary. Administrators can prevent company data from being accessed by a user's personal apps, which connect directly to the Internet, unlike work apps, which connect through the corporate network. However, organizations have to purchase BB Enterprise Service 10, or BES 10, to use Balance. (For those enterprises that have a bring-your-own-device policy, Secure Work Space for iOS and Android will be of interest. This expands BlackBerry Balance to other mobile devices, letting those without a BlackBerry check data such as corporate calendars, contacts and email without requiring a VPN to access data and applications that reside behind corporate firewalls.)"

Posted via CB10
    Nayalm, lift and muellerto like this.
    07-08-14 11:07 PM
    I know what sandboxing is. I think that BlackBerry's sandboxing of android apps does provide better protection than running the same app on android itself. That is an old article and BlackBerry DOES sandbox android apps with it's runtime.
    I think it's generally true that BB10 is probably offering better security, but a sandbox is not perfect security. If a user accepts the permissions that the app requests, then that app can do damage, track the user, etc.

Even if the app requests no permissions other than Internet access, the app can phish sensitive information. If the user grabs the app from some unmanaged storefront, the app could be compromised.

Picture a BB user desperate to install the app for her favorite bank, so someone sends her a link to an apk. Now imagine that apk is Citi's app, except it was hacked to silently send her login credentials to a third party when she logs in. No sandbox will save her there.

This is the problem with Google play. Banks have to fight fake apps on that store every week. Amazon seems to be better, though.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    howarmat and lift like this.
    07-08-14 11:22 PM

Direct quote from Chen, with respect to the Android running on BlackBerry 10.this was in response to Samsung going Knox with Partitioning similar to Balance on BlackBerry 10.

"BlackBerry architects security into every single layer, from our BlackBerry 10-enabled devices (which, by the way, can securely run your Android apps) to the networks upon which your messages and data travel, to our secure messaging platform BBM Protected to the BES management software. It?s why we have won 45 security certifications, more than any other vendor, including the only coveted Full Operational Capability certificate to run on U.S. Department of Defense networks to a mobile vendor. "

Posted via CB10
    07-08-14 11:32 PM
    As long as there is no way (currently) to toggle app permissions the way it is done with native apps I don't see how android apps running on BlackBerry 10 is more secure compared to the way the apps run natively on android os.

Posted via CB10
    07-09-14 01:20 AM
    android apps have access to whatever you give them access too. You cant select to disable permissions with them though. So if the flashlight app asks for permissions to you contacts it can do whatever malicious things it wants to with them. The sandbox doesnt protect you from anything if you allow the app access through permissions
    A question for me is: would it be possible to remove the Android runtime completely? Has anybody done this?
    07-09-14 01:33 AM
    No security can protect stupid.
    07-09-14 02:20 AM
    Wow, great article. Agreed, who needs security.

Go BlackBerry!!

Posted using my amazing and intelligent Z10
    07-09-14 04:42 AM
    A question for me is: would it be possible to remove the Android runtime completely? Has anybody done this?
    No. I don't think anybody has. The easiest workaround is to not install Android apps.

No security can protect stupid.
    'Stupid' in this case is Android
    lift likes this.
    07-09-14 09:11 AM
    No. I don't think anybody has. The easiest workaround is to not install Android apps.

'Stupid' in this case is Android
    As my teacher preached to us daily, computer is as smart as the person sitting in front of it. I find it hard to blame any os.
    07-09-14 09:27 AM
    As my teacher preached to us daily, computer is as smart as the person sitting in front of it. I find it hard to blame any os.
    Agree with your teacher, but what are you supposed to do beyond reasonable precautions such as believing that if permissions are not asked for or outright denied, they are denied?
    lift and spikesolie like this.
    07-09-14 09:29 AM
    This is part of the quote from John Chen: "BlackBerry architects security into every single layer, from our BlackBerry 10-enabled devices (which, by the way, can securely run your Android apps)"
    I believe not all android app permissions are granted when used on a BlackBerry device. Like I said before, Bla1ze had a write-up on android apps on BlackBerry 10 and said a lot of great things about the security. Where is Bla1ze when we need him?
    riss89 likes this.
    07-09-14 10:36 AM
    Again - this is another watch what you install case. Saying that Android is a cesspool is no different than saying that PCs and the internet are cesspools because viruses and malware exists. Don't sideload questionable apps. Stick to well reviewed social apps, banking apps, games, etc.
    mornhavon likes this.
    07-09-14 12:16 PM
101 123 ...