Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32
Like Tree11Likes
  1. gorang's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    250 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default Yes, it's the patriotic thing to do

    Wow I'm really starting to get annoyed with The Globe and Mail. For a Canadian outlet they are really seeding negative sentiment for RIM. Their latest poll really ticked me of when I read the options:
    1. Yes, it's the patriotic thing to do
    2. Maybe, if it's cheap and works well
    3. Not unless it's really mind-blowing
    4. I wouldn't be caught dead with one

    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/incoming/will-you-consider-buying-a-new-blackberry-in-2013/article5808567/%3Bjsessionid=v7LYQ4hJ17ZKrgH5nsKWpJTZGyQVTPKjyvnh 0CVbh9kz0MMQL0hn!515680613/

    Now I don't have a problem with 2, 3 and 4th choice becaause its understandable that there are bunch of people that simply don't want to get it unless its cheap and revolutionairy or just don't want one ever again. My problem is the first option 'Yes, it's the patriotic thing to do' I mean COME ON MAN!!! Does this news paaper really think that BlackBerry gives us no reason other than patriotism to buy these devices that over the years have become part of us, connect us to our friends and families and the rest of the world, help us stay organized and productive. I want to buy a BlackBerry because it fits my life style, it fits my personality and it gives me things that other smart phones simply don't, I'm not buying it because I live 5 km from the headquarters but because I relate to it!

    Damn u Globe and Mail!

    Rant over.
    Thanked by:
    Bold_until_Hybrid_Comes (11-30-2012) 
  2. SlcCorrado's Avatar
    BlackBerry

    Posts
    6,233 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,286 Global Posts
    #2  

    Default

    I'm not Canadian, but thanks for sharing
    BB4Life
  3. gorang's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    250 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

    Default

    That's another point too, according to that poll only Canadians should buy BB10. There is no patriotic reason for anyone else to buy BB. Sad, very sad.
  4. pmccartney's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,990 Posts
    PIN
    K Floyd
    #4  

    Default

    I understand where your coming from. Maybe 'patriotic' is a poor choice of wording and should say something more along the lines of 'to be supportive of your home country corporation'

    I recently took a short trip through Michigan (in my Japanese made and imported vehicle) where it didn't take more than a second to notice that 99% of the cars driving along the interstate near Detroit where Ford, Chevy and Chrysler. They build them and the locals support them. There's nothing wrong with that at all.

    BTW, I live closer to RIM HQ than you do
    Z30
  5. gorang's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    250 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

    Default

    Of course there is nothing wrong with that, but its very short sighted of GnM to say that Canadians should buy BB only because its Canadian product. There are a lot of things in which BB is and will be better than the competition and that's why people chose it over others (and vice versa).
  6. pmccartney's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,990 Posts
    PIN
    K Floyd
    #6  

    Default

    GnM didnt say that we should buy BB because it's a Canadian product - they are asking the question in a poll.

    I see the problem is that the poll has no option for voters to simply choose 'Yes, because I like using a Blackberry , it suits my needs'

    We all know how hard the local media has been on RIM (kind of sickening really). Some of it warranted, valid and true and some not.
    Z30
  7. gorang's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    250 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pmccartney View Post
    GnM didnt say that we should buy BB because it's a Canadian product - they are asking the question in a poll.

    I see the problem is that the poll has no option for voters to simply choose 'Yes, because I like using a Blackberry , it suits my needs'
    That's what I'm saying. They didn't give us an option to voice our preference but instead they forced and option on us (patriotism).
  8. pmccartney's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,990 Posts
    PIN
    K Floyd
    #8  

    Default

    Gotcha
    Looks like I'm a little bit slow at catching on today
    Z30
  9. gorang's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    250 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

    Default

    Haha naw man, you knew what I was going for. I'm just frustrated with local media right now. I appreciate critisism but they often pooop on RIM and that ticks me off.
  10. RubberChicken76's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    4,458 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,462 Global Posts
    #10  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pmccartney View Post
    I recently took a short trip through Michigan (in my Japanese made and imported vehicle) where it didn't take more than a second to notice that 99% of the cars driving along the interstate near Detroit where Ford, Chevy and Chrysler. They build them and the locals support them. There's nothing wrong with that at all.
    For the number of times I've seen Canadians sneer at, make fun of and ridicule Canadian success stories (including RIM but not limited to it by any means), I'm firmly convinced that Americans are patriotic whereas Canadians love to tear down their own successes.

    Very bizarre.

    As you say, drive around Detroit with a Honda and you risk getting your car keyed. Yet Canadians walk around with iPhones in Waterloo and openly ridicule RIM.
  11. raino's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    6,483 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,698 Global Posts
    #11  

    Default

    It's a fine line between supporting and patriotism. There was a thread about a month ago, where the OP emailed his MLA suggesting the Canadian government should equip its employees with BBs to "support a successful, Canadian born and bred company." Now you tell me which side of the line this suggestion is on.
    Last edited by raino; 11-30-2012 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Added thread URL
    Models and Supported Frequencies: Z10, Q10, Q5, Z30 , Passport (coming soon!)

    Want to find out which radio band your BB10 phone is currently on? UMTS, LTE (careful with escreens!)
  12. Bold_until_Hybrid_Comes's Avatar
    Waterloo's Finest

    Posts
    5,431 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,460 Global Posts
    #12  

    Default

    There should have been options:
    1.i plan on getting it
    2. I plan on getting it because its patriotic
    3. Getting one if they are really good
    4.not planning to get one no mattr what

    Would that be so hard for them to say it non offensive? Its ridiculous that there is no simple yes option for people that simply know they want it because of the device itself

    Also the not being caught dead with it is unnecessary to say.
    Phones: Nokia 5110>Nokia 3360>Siemens C56>Moto RAZR>LG Chocolate>Pearl 8100>Bold 9000 >Pearl 9100 + Bold 9900 > iPhone 4S + Z10 + Bold 9000
    Tablets: 16GB Playbook > Playbook 32GB
    __________________________________________________ _________________________

    CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE SEXY GIRLS IN YOGA PANTS CHANNEL

    C000288CC
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________
    kbz1960 likes this.
  13. Bold_until_Hybrid_Comes's Avatar
    Waterloo's Finest

    Posts
    5,431 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,460 Global Posts
    #13  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RubberChicken76 View Post
    For the number of times I've seen Canadians sneer at, make fun of and ridicule Canadian success stories (including RIM but not limited to it by any means), I'm firmly convinced that Americans are patriotic whereas Canadians love to tear down their own successes.

    Very bizarre.

    As you say, drive around Detroit with a Honda and you risk getting your car keyed. Yet Canadians walk around with iPhones in Waterloo and openly ridicule RIM.
    I actually find it to be one of the most hostile blackberry environments in waterloo. Its like a den/nest of iphone owners
    Phones: Nokia 5110>Nokia 3360>Siemens C56>Moto RAZR>LG Chocolate>Pearl 8100>Bold 9000 >Pearl 9100 + Bold 9900 > iPhone 4S + Z10 + Bold 9000
    Tablets: 16GB Playbook > Playbook 32GB
    __________________________________________________ _________________________

    CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE SEXY GIRLS IN YOGA PANTS CHANNEL

    C000288CC
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________
    RubberChicken76 likes this.
  14. raino's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    6,483 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,698 Global Posts
    #14  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RubberChicken76 View Post
    As you say, drive around Detroit with a Honda and you risk getting your car keyed.
    Which post was this?
    Models and Supported Frequencies: Z10, Q10, Q5, Z30 , Passport (coming soon!)

    Want to find out which radio band your BB10 phone is currently on? UMTS, LTE (careful with escreens!)
  15. Bold_until_Hybrid_Comes's Avatar
    Waterloo's Finest

    Posts
    5,431 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,460 Global Posts
    #15  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gorang View Post
    Wow I'm really starting to get annoyed with The Globe and Mail. For a Canadian outlet they are really seeding negative sentiment for RIM. Their latest poll really ticked me of when I read the options:
    1. Yes, it's the patriotic thing to do
    2. Maybe, if it's cheap and works well
    3. Not unless it's really mind-blowing
    4. I wouldn't be caught dead with one

    Will you consider buying a new BlackBerry in 2013? - The Globe and Mail

    Now I don't have a problem with 2, 3 and 4th choice becaause its understandable that there are bunch of people that simply don't want to get it unless its cheap and revolutionairy or just don't want one ever again. My problem is the first option 'Yes, it's the patriotic thing to do' I mean COME ON MAN!!! Does this news paaper really think that BlackBerry gives us no reason other than patriotism to buy these devices that over the years have become part of us, connect us to our friends and families and the rest of the world, help us stay organized and productive. I want to buy a BlackBerry because it fits my life style, it fits my personality and it gives me things that other smart phones simply don't, I'm not buying it because I live 5 km from the headquarters but because I relate to it!

    Damn u Globe and Mail!

    Rant over.
    5km...St.agatha?
    Phones: Nokia 5110>Nokia 3360>Siemens C56>Moto RAZR>LG Chocolate>Pearl 8100>Bold 9000 >Pearl 9100 + Bold 9900 > iPhone 4S + Z10 + Bold 9000
    Tablets: 16GB Playbook > Playbook 32GB
    __________________________________________________ _________________________

    CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE SEXY GIRLS IN YOGA PANTS CHANNEL

    C000288CC
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________
  16. gorang's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    250 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bold_until_Hybrid_Comes View Post
    5km...St.agatha?
    Resurection High School area
  17. Double_J75's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,363 Posts
    #17  

    Default

    I don't even know what one to check in that survey. There was an option for

    "Fuk ya it looks awesome" - so I'm not voting!
  18. pmccartney's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,990 Posts
    PIN
    K Floyd
    #18  

    Default

    Are you on the K or the W side of Univ Ave?
    Just trying to figure out where your allegiance lies
    Z30
  19. gorang's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    250 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #19  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Double_J75 View Post
    I don't even know what one to check in that survey. There was an option for

    "Fuk ya it looks awesome" - so I'm not voting!
    I should have done the same


    pmc - Its Westvale haha
  20. pmccartney's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,990 Posts
    PIN
    K Floyd
    #20  

    Default

    You're alright

    Z30
  21. cjcampbell's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    5,885 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,889 Global Posts
    #21  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gorang View Post
    Resurection High School area
    Queen and Highland area here....
  22. gorang's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    250 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #22  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cjcampbell View Post
    Queen and Highland area here....
    Ooh lil shady close to downtown Kitchener there hehe
  23. Bold_until_Hybrid_Comes's Avatar
    Waterloo's Finest

    Posts
    5,431 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,460 Global Posts
    #23  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pmccartney View Post
    Are you on the K or the W side of Univ Ave?
    Just trying to figure out where your allegiance lies
    Let's not bring kitchener vs waterloo into the forums lol!!!
    Phones: Nokia 5110>Nokia 3360>Siemens C56>Moto RAZR>LG Chocolate>Pearl 8100>Bold 9000 >Pearl 9100 + Bold 9900 > iPhone 4S + Z10 + Bold 9000
    Tablets: 16GB Playbook > Playbook 32GB
    __________________________________________________ _________________________

    CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE SEXY GIRLS IN YOGA PANTS CHANNEL

    C000288CC
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________
  24. cjcampbell's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    5,885 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,889 Global Posts
    #24  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gorang View Post
    Ooh lil shady close to downtown Kitchener there hehe
    Oh for sure... not to be trifled with.... lol
  25. Bold_until_Hybrid_Comes's Avatar
    Waterloo's Finest

    Posts
    5,431 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,460 Global Posts
    #25  

    Default

    Its amazing how they have a definite NO answer in the fom of "wouldn't be caught dead with one. This is before seeing the final product. Yet they don't have a definite YES answer for those of us who know we want It based on what we have seen. Goes to show you there are so many ignorant,obvlivious people out there that treat smartphones like fashion accessories and are already writing it off before even seeing functionality because of the setiment in the little clique known as the media.there is no other way to justify saying NO to a totally new experience before its even out. Dispicable and discusting. Shame on them for this poll.
    Phones: Nokia 5110>Nokia 3360>Siemens C56>Moto RAZR>LG Chocolate>Pearl 8100>Bold 9000 >Pearl 9100 + Bold 9900 > iPhone 4S + Z10 + Bold 9000
    Tablets: 16GB Playbook > Playbook 32GB
    __________________________________________________ _________________________

    CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE SEXY GIRLS IN YOGA PANTS CHANNEL

    C000288CC
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. New out of the box..1st things to do?
    By xpeterpx in forum BlackBerry PlayBook
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-07-2012, 10:37 AM
  2. What's the first thing to do with a new PB?
    By cipo81 in forum BlackBerry PlayBook
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-22-2011, 08:24 PM
  3. is it a bad thing to do this to a torch
    By dm4nn in forum BlackBerry Torch 9800
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-18-2011, 12:10 AM
  4. Neatest thing to do on the "curve"
    By yogi50 in forum General BlackBerry Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-07-2009, 09:46 PM
  5. Hardest thing to do on my phone is...Answering it?!!?
    By weswilkes in forum BlackBerry Storm
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 03-10-2009, 07:50 PM

Posting Permissions