Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 155
Like Tree236Likes
  1. Andrew4life's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,757 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,758 Global Posts
    #26  

    Default

    WIth every positive aspect of the Xperia Z, there is a countering point.

    Great screen? -> So does a lot of other phones. Plus at a certain point, a higher DPI isn't going to look any different.
    Ability to mirror your phone to a Sony Smart TV? -> You have to buy the Sony phone and also the Sony SmartTV. (It's not going to cost you an arm and a leg. It's going to cost you two arms and two legs!!)
    Waterproof? -> No removable battery or removable anything for that matter.
    Great Camera? - > So do a lot of other phones. Plus if you really want good quality pictures, you'd probably get a POS or a DSLR.
  2. kill_9's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    5,168 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts
    #27  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Djlatino View Post
    But the quality of the actual phone is what matters..... right? I mean that's been our excuse for the past years with our blackberrys, I'm sure others will do the same with the Xperia Z, after all, a lot of people don't mind android.

    On a smaller note, funny how they're also calling it the "Z". Since when did this "Z" come into account with naming phones, it used to be "X" :P
    I think Xperia used the 'Z' before the BlackBerry London became the BlackBerry Z10. And you are correct it is the quality of the smartphone that matters; the Xperia Z just shows what we should expect from the BlackBerry Z10 although we hope the BlackBerry Z10 does more and does it better than the Xperia Z. The dust-proof and water-proof features are very nice but won't be on a BlackBerry sadly. As I have said in other threads I am not in the market for any smartphone brand that is not BlackBerry.
  3. knowledge_6's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,281 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,334 Global Posts
    PIN
    2*******
    #28  

    Default

    its a sony.. the end...
    Thanked by:
    Bold_until_Hybrid_Comes (01-19-2013) 
  4. collinc93's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    891 Posts
    #29  

    Default

    interesting it almost reads like one of those threads that used to bash the BB... 'its a sony'....ok then hope no one gets upset when anyone speaks negative of my beloved RIM. nice phone BTW
  5. Bold_until_Hybrid_Comes's Avatar
    Waterloo's Finest

    Posts
    5,380 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,409 Global Posts
    #30  

    Default

    Yep. And I remember the big old fat sony experia x10 that my ex had. Same bloodline. They dont stand the test of time
    Phones: Nokia 5110>Nokia 3360>Siemens C56>Moto RAZR>LG Chocolate>Pearl 8100>Bold 9000 >Pearl 9100 + Bold 9900 > iPhone 4S + Z10 + Bold 9000
    Tablets: 16GB Playbook > Playbook 32GB
    __________________________________________________ _________________________

    CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE SEXY GIRLS IN YOGA PANTS CHANNEL

    C000288CC
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________
  6. jafrul's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,691 Posts
    PIN
    2B5A11B6
    #31  

    Default

    Sony has always been using alphabet since I don't know when... Wiki it...

    Can I have just both Zs.
    One for business and one for pleasure (read: social)
  7. lynxs_claw's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,075 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,079 Global Posts
    #32  

    Default

    Interesting that the promotional video states water and dust resistant.. This doesn't mean it waterproof.
  8. xiaohuaxing's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    246 Posts
    #33  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimberry Storm View Post
    Neat, why everyone is not making their devices waterproof is beyond me. Since it is made by Sony I'm sure you can expect to pay through the nose for it.
    So you have to buy a new one when you drop yours in the toilet
  9. xiaohuaxing's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    246 Posts
    #34  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Berry_Pink View Post
    after watching this i just had a quick google on waterproofing and liquipel will permanently waterproof your phone for $59 (only certain brands atm), tempted to bug them to offer this for the z10 lol
    I checked out their site, sounds interesting but they claim they use vapor to coat the device in a vacuum, so wtf does a brand being "not supported" mean? It doesn't fit in the chamber of their machine?
  10. Djlatino's Avatar

    Posts
    1,869 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,870 Global Posts
    PIN
    Look at her ****, dios mio
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #35  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew4life View Post
    WIth every positive aspect of the Xperia Z, there is a countering point.

    Great screen? -> So does a lot of other phones. Plus at a certain point, a higher DPI isn't going to look any different.
    Ability to mirror your phone to a Sony Smart TV? -> You have to buy the Sony phone and also the Sony SmartTV. (It's not going to cost you an arm and a leg. It's going to cost you two arms and two legs!!)
    Waterproof? -> No removable battery or removable anything for that matter.
    Great Camera? - > So do a lot of other phones. Plus if you really want good quality pictures, you'd probably get a POS or a DSLR.
    so you're saying that buying a new phone is better then a removable battery?
    fyi, Pixel density will always, always, ALWAYS, have a noticeable difference, no matter what. ALWAYS.

    I swear if this phone had the bb logo stamped on it, you guys wouldn't go saying all its features are "unnecessary"
    That being said, it is in fact android, which is a downer but sony does bring features to its software too ya know... (besides the whole crap about putting your phone on Tv). Gestures are coming to android bit by bit as well...
    [Atticus told me to delete the adjectives and I'd have the facts]

    Wacka Flocka came out with a 4.0 GPA in Business. I want to be Wacka Flocka when I grow up.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
  11. Bold_until_Hybrid_Comes's Avatar
    Waterloo's Finest

    Posts
    5,380 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,409 Global Posts
    #36  

    Default

    The whole video was basically about hardware. Now why is that?

    Because it has the same generic android system that 70% of the phones being sold have.

    How do you stand out from 70% of the people buying a android device? You can dump water on your phone. Awesome
    Phones: Nokia 5110>Nokia 3360>Siemens C56>Moto RAZR>LG Chocolate>Pearl 8100>Bold 9000 >Pearl 9100 + Bold 9900 > iPhone 4S + Z10 + Bold 9000
    Tablets: 16GB Playbook > Playbook 32GB
    __________________________________________________ _________________________

    CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE SEXY GIRLS IN YOGA PANTS CHANNEL

    C000288CC
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________
  12. Masahiro's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    4,264 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts
    #37  

    Default

    I don't see anything really ground-breaking here. It's just another step up in terms of hardware, which will be matched sooner or later by another brand. That's the rat race Android OEMs have gotten themselves into.

    Might I remind everyone that Motorola's RAZR (2011) was also water-resist. Hopefully this becomes an industry standard as more OEMs adopt it, because I think it would be a great feature to have that's actually practical. It also doesn't mean it won't work with a removable battery, although having a sealed housing does help.
    Last edited by Masahiro; 01-20-2013 at 01:05 AM.
    Blatant placeholder signature.
  13. Masahiro's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    4,264 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts
    #38  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jesseh View Post
    Horses scare me.
    Blatant placeholder signature.
  14. jakie55's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    453 Posts
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    PIN
    2AE49F77
    #39  

    Default

    I remember when hand held GPS devices were not waterproof. Now virtually all of them are. It is doable. There would be the size and weight penalties. Given how we want things thinner, lighter, etc, would the general public actually go for it?
    Q 10 for the win!
    (WHITE Z 10, on 10.2.1.537 and Nexus 4, both sold)
    pebble watch
    Playbook 64 gb wifi
    Galaxy tab P 1000 with cyanagen 9
  15. Masahiro's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    4,264 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts
    #40  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jakie55 View Post
    I remember when hand held GPS devices were not waterproof. Now virtually all of them are. It is doable. There would be the size and weight penalties. Given how we want things thinner, lighter, etc, would the general public actually go for it?
    With the technology we have today, making devices water resist (not water proof) has only a cost penalty. Check out Liquipel.
    Blatant placeholder signature.
  16. DrWormBoy's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    105 Posts
    #41  
  17. nigoinsnow's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    126 Posts
    #42  

    Default

    Android > close file
    I want a phone which can connect things together, and I can see the potential of bb10, and the security platform blackberry provide
    but I have to admit that the commercial ads is super nice which makes me want to buy sony xperia z (only last 1 sec)
  18. reeneebob's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    5,697 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,365 Global Posts
    PIN
    Wouldn't you like to know
    #43  

    Default Re: Xperia Z... Will BB play catch up once again?

    Quote Originally Posted by pantlesspenguin View Post
    This is quite true, and also when you add carrier testing, carrier bloatware, carriers disabling features, etc it can get a bit messy. I learned my lesson with the Samsung Vibrant. Eclair was on its way out and the SGS series was set to get the Froyo update soon after release. "Soon after release" turned into 6 months. Also, GPS was nonfunctional and it took Samsung too long to admit there was a problem. Then they threw together a fix, that for the most part didn't work. After that ordeal I swore I'd only buy phones that I enjoyed the CURRENT capabilities of, and not what it may do in the future.

    ETA: Actually what I just wrote reminded me that I'm pretty sure it's up to the OEMS to push out updates like bug fixes, security patches, etc. Google just pushes out the actual OS updates and that's when things get messy with carrier involvement.
    This.

    That's why everyone and their dog tries for a Nexus device... Frequent updates of the latest builds. It's also why so many root and put stock Android on their phones. It's not Google that delays the updates to the OEM's, it's the OEM's delaying the update to the end user because they have to make their skin work with the update.


    Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
    jakie55 (01-20-2013) 
    pantlesspenguin and Drew808 like this.
  19. reeneebob's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    5,697 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,365 Global Posts
    PIN
    Wouldn't you like to know
    #44  

    Default Re: Xperia Z... Will BB play catch up once again?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bold_until_Hybrid_Comes View Post
    The whole video was basically about hardware. Now why is that?

    Because it has the same generic android system that 70% of the phones being sold have.

    How do you stand out from 70% of the people buying a android device? You can dump water on your phone. Awesome
    There's a lot you don't understand about Android, isn't there... You can put three different Android phones side by side, by different OEM's, and they don't look or behave the same. Period.

    Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by 2:
    Drew808 (01-20-2013),  pantlesspenguin (01-20-2013) 
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
  20. mrpenaflor's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    33 Posts
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    #45  

    Default Re: Xperia Z... Will BB play catch up once again?

    I like that it's waterproof but they have to cover all the ports which you need to remove when you charge or do stuffs. I have a phone once that have those types of cover and they tend to break easy.
  21. kevinnugent's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    4,142 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,267 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B630F1E
    #46  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrpenaflor View Post
    I like that it's waterproof but they have to cover all the ports which you need to remove when you charge or do stuffs. I have a phone once that have those types of cover and they tend to break easy.
    Not necessarily. The Liquipel people tell me they can waterproof an iPhone 5 without blocking up the ports.
  22. jafrul's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,691 Posts
    PIN
    2B5A11B6
    #47  

    Default

    In regard to the OP's title.. I guess RIM just have to keep on continuing their R&D to keep up with the changes... And this doesn't mean on the software alone which is, as we knew, are great. But the hardware as well.. Improvements especially in the High end market. This is mainly to cater and shut down the critics who kept talking about specs, specs and specs..
    RIM need to be better than the past.. Creatively.
    Versions of playbooks. IPod likes. Laptops. As long as it is inline with the purpose people buy blackberrys.
    Business before pleasure.
  23. belfastdispatcher's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    13,683 Posts
    PIN
    27F48177
    #48  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pantlesspenguin View Post
    This is quite true, and also when you add carrier testing, carrier bloatware, carriers disabling features, etc it can get a bit messy. I learned my lesson with the Samsung Vibrant. Eclair was on its way out and the SGS series was set to get the Froyo update soon after release. "Soon after release" turned into 6 months. Also, GPS was nonfunctional and it took Samsung too long to admit there was a problem. Then they threw together a fix, that for the most part didn't work. After that ordeal I swore I'd only buy phones that I enjoyed the CURRENT capabilities of, and not what it may do in the future.

    ETA: Actually what I just wrote reminded me that I'm pretty sure it's up to the OEMS to push out updates like bug fixes, security patches, etc. Google just pushes out the actual OS updates and that's when things get messy with carrier involvement.
    Don't take this the wrong way but I've noticed a pattern where nobody talks warmly of their previous Android phone, after they get a new one all the problems of the old one come out(lag, lack of updates, gps problems, re booting etc) but if you ask them at the time it never had a problem and it was the best thing ever. Am I the only one seeing this?
  24. #49  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by belfastdispatcher View Post
    Don't take this the wrong way but I've noticed a pattern where nobody talks warmly of their previous Android phone, after they get a new one all the problems of the old one come out(lag, lack of updates, gps problems, re booting etc) but if you ask them at the time it never had a problem and it was the best thing ever. Am I the only one seeing this?
    This is the same perception problem most people don't understand when they replace anything with a new model. With regular exposure the old inadequacies become normal and slow creeping degradation is accepted. New car.... quieter, no rattles, less fuel, better seats, perfect. New bed... more comfortable, perfect. New computer... faster, better display, perfect. New kids... much better behaved They also said exactly the same "perfect, great improvement" when they got the old one.
    <a href="http://www.galatis.de/starboard.php?d=5518"><!-- Something special for the spammers --></a>
    CrackBerry... where only Stupid People fight about Smart Phones
  25. qbnkelt's Avatar
    Retired CrackBerry Ambassador

    Posts
    17,137 Posts
    Global Posts
    18,179 Global Posts
    PIN
    nahhhhh.....
    #50  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Branta View Post
    This is the same perception problem most people don't understand when they replace anything with a new model. With regular exposure the old inadequacies become normal and slow creeping degradation is accepted. New car.... quieter, no rattles, less fuel, better seats, perfect. New bed... more comfortable, perfect. New computer... faster, better display, perfect. New kids... much better behaved They also said exactly the same "perfect, great improvement" when they got the old one.
    Very clearly evident with the BB browser. How many times do we see people talk about how happy they are with the BB browser....let's see what they all say when the Z10 shows up with a REAL functioning browser.
    I see the difference each time I have to suffer through my 9900 and 9810's browsen when compared to my 4S or my SGIII or even when I had my Skyrocket. THAT was a good browser in comparison with its contemporary BB7 devices. The browser on my SGIII, today, eats my 9900's lunch. My Z10 will eat my SGIII's lunch. My SGIV or my Note 3 will eat my Z10's lunch....and so on....and so on.....and so on....
    My experience is that each new tech improves on old, and it is natural to say that a new device improves on the old. It's only logical.
    Last edited by qbnkelt; 01-20-2013 at 06:55 AM.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and good with ketchup
    "When debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser" - Socrates
    iMore Ambassador
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Will big Red catch up with Sprint and 7.1?
    By Betmen in forum BlackBerry Bold 9930/9900
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-17-2011, 06:28 PM
  2. Will RIM ever catch up?
    By Storm2Cool in forum News & Rumors
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 03-02-2011, 10:10 AM
  3. RIM misses estimates marks trying to play catch up
    By CrackberryBrandon in forum General BlackBerry Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-31-2010, 10:02 PM
  4. why is the storm always playing catch up
    By m.ave in forum BlackBerry Storm
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 07-20-2009, 02:01 PM
  5. When accessing the Internet, what will BB play?
    By threatt3661 in forum BlackBerry 8830 WE
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-17-2007, 03:33 PM

Posting Permissions