My carrier is T-Mobile. I have the 8120 Curve. Can I receive xm radio on my phone?
    03-18-08 03:34 PM
    I don't believe you can. I have never seen anything about XM for the 8320. I think it's just for the 8130.
    03-18-08 03:41 PM
    I know, the engineers at BlackBerry have wasted all that valuable logic board space with Cell and GPS, WiFi and Bluetooth when they could have just given us a XM satellite radio.

No, there is no way, the technology is totally different.

Edit: I stand corrected. It is pushed data.
    The XM Radio Mobile service expanded to more than 30 handset models
    from AT&T and Alltel, including the BlackBerry Curve, the Samsung
    SGH-a717, and The Wafer by Samsung.
    T-Mobile does not support it, at this time.
    Last edited by Stoner; 03-18-08 at 03:47 PM.
    03-18-08 03:42 PM
    According to the XM Radio website, XM Radio is not offered by T-Mobile.
    03-18-08 03:47 PM
    Sorry I meant 8320.

I went on the xm website as well and saw the same thing. I was hoping someone knew a way to get around it. oh well..lol
    03-18-08 03:51 PM
    Don't give up so easily, everyone. I flexed my Google-fu and came up with some promising results:

One service is nuTsie, though I'm not sure that's actual streaming radio. I am certain that it is not associated with XM or Sirius. However, it is an option. A common problem with 8320's was resolved here.

From CrunchGear, there comes a post that is dedicated to streaming Sirius on the 8320 using Orb. It even has a comment down below that explains it all step-by-step (be sure to read through all the comments).

I'm still looking around for more answers and I'll post when I find more info.
    03-18-08 04:18 PM
    Thank you. I'll try.
    03-18-08 04:55 PM
    OK, here's what I came up with after some searching around.

If all of this has been posted before, then I apologize but I didn't see a post that contained everything here. One way or another, it should help at least a few people enjoy streaming radio.

Oh, and I haven't tested any of these as of yet on my 8320 but I plan to when I have some more time. I'll post my results when I do.

The OP's question was regarding XM so I'll start there. It looks like it's actually possible and people have reported varying results.

Streaming XM Radio On Your BlackBerry

This post describes a guy that has success with streaming XM with the help of some additional, free software.

It says that first and foremost you need to be a current subscriber with an online account. After that you will need:

Winamp

Two Shoutcast Server downloads:

Be a DJ and Be a Server

uXM Server

These all run in the background on the PC and stay on continuously so you have to make sure your PC doesn't go on standby or shut down.

Next, you will have to run what he calls "RadioBee version 1.1." When I looked for that, the site actually has two different "1.1" files:

V1.1a, released at Aug 10, 2006

Version 1.1M, released at Sep 14, 2006

To further complicate matters, the RadioBee website says that Blackberries should use a specific BlackBerry download, located here.

And to make this entire endeavor even more fun, the RadioBee website goes on to point out that, "to download and use radioBee, you need an unlocked cell phone, with java support ( MIDP 2.0, CLDC 1.1), integrated mp3 player, and internet plan."

Here is a detailed post that explains how it all comes together.

Simple, right? Hardly. But if you really want to stream XM on your BB and you have an hour or to spare I guess you could give it a try.

I'm thinking that you may need the Beta OS 4.3 8320 release for that.

Alternatively, this is a more generic guide that actually appears at least slightly less-intensive at first glance so you may want to look at it as well. It uses this site as well as software called Orb to get the job done.

At any rate, here's the XM home site if you need that for some reason and also a pretty active XM forum that may contain some knowledge about the subject.

Next up: Sirius.
    Last edited by sd2001; 03-18-08 at 09:41 PM.
    03-18-08 08:35 PM
    Streaming Sirius Radio On Your BlackBerry

Getting XM to work appears to be pretty treacherous, if you ask me. But that's just my opinion and like I said before, I haven't tested any of these methods. This is just what I found after an hour or so of searching around.

Anyway, Sirius looks to be a bit more promising.

There were several different methods of streaming Sirius on assorted models of Blackberries that looked promising. If I'm not mistaken they all rely on just two free software downloads unlike the XM which seems like it needed around 14 or so.

Like XM, the Sirius project uses Orb and what appears to be a variant of the proprietary software, uSirius. Both are free.

A guy that is named Werner Menneisyys Ruotsalainen posted a detailed article on his blog on New Year's Day called "The Radio Stream Transcoding Bible - Part 1."

While you probably won't need a fraction of the information that is supplied in that last link, the next post titled, "Listening to Sirius Radio on Your Handset" is sure to be informative.

For the sake of redundancy, I'm going to link to the same article he posted on a forum as well, since someone may glean some bits of info from the comments.

The guy that made this post and then this post, both of which seem to have a lot of info, was proud enough to post video proof of him streaming Sirius on his Pearl. Not content at that, he went ahead and posted it on his blog as well.

In addition to these very well-executed tutorials, I also found a few that pertain to iPhones and other smartphones as well. The reason that I'm posting them is that, even with hardware and software differences, many of the concepts are the same. So if someone gets stuck at some point with the first two tutorials, they may be able to read something in one of these that helps them out.

Streaming Sirius on Your Phone

How to Get Sirius Satellite Radio to Work on Your iPhone

Listening to XM and/or Sirius Radio Streams on iPhone

Next up: Some BlackBerry Media Applications You May Not Know Of.
    03-18-08 09:34 PM
    Getting Music/Streaming Radio On Your BlackBerry From Other Sources

Just like before, I haven't tried any of these yet but I know that using any one of them appears to be a whole lot easier than trying to make your Blackberry make nice with Sirius or XM. But, to each his own.

First, is nuTsie. nuTsie seems to be a good solution for people that use iTunes on their PCs. Other than that, I don't really know what it does. I think it uses what would have to be an extensive network of song/artist/genre tagging to stream music to you it thinks you will like according to what you listen to.

While looking around, I came across this small problem a poster had that I figured I'd link to in case anyone has the same problem in the future.

Next up is the PocketStreamer, which claims to be "live music and radio on the GO." Pearl, Curve, and 88-series owners can grab the OTA download here.

It appears to be a free trial, but the site doesn't come out and say that for a fact.

Here's a thread from another BB-themed forum where posters linked to several downloads. There are downloads here for the RadioBee that we saw up in the XM post. There are also links for a mediaplayer that is distributed by Dollar5.

Subsequent posts in the thread share plenty of radio stations that work with the players.

This is another thread dedicated to the RadioBee that may be informative and here's a thread where posters share compatible working stations.

Podcast fans are likely to already know about QuickPlayer for BlackBerry but I didn't want to run the risk of leaving it out just in case. Finally, on April 1st BlackBerry users will be offered music titles in AAC and AAC+ formats from the new service Puretracks.com Rumors are already circling about their future plans for Wi-Fi support.
    03-18-08 10:33 PM
    Wow! You've done some great research. I thank you very much for that. I tried the orb and uXM option. I don't like that you have to use the computer as well. Can anyone narrow down the other options for me?
    03-18-08 11:12 PM
    There is XMradio for the T-mobile curve. I personally downloaded it today and it works perfectly!

www.xmradio.com/bb

Follow that link on your bb browser and you should be able to test it out for 24 hours, but after that its $7.99 a month for the service.
    04-02-08 11:50 PM
    well thats good that it works for tmobile
    04-03-08 01:28 AM
    no one falls short haha
    04-03-08 01:29 AM
    I was able to download (after a few tries), but when I click on the icon, a message pops saying the service is only available in the US. I am on T-Mobile.
    04-03-08 08:08 AM
    Try this link.
    XM Radio Mobile on BlackBerry

I followed the instructions, by texting XM to 47201 and it works fine on my Pearl.
    04-03-08 12:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD