I've cut my "landline" internet 2 weeks ago as I found it to be useless since I've been using hotspot.
    Just a few days ago I tried xbox live over hotspot and i've been blown away. i noticed little to no lag (sniper rifle works for halo !!!!!!!!! ).

i also tried voice chat with skype and works great.

i think great connectivity is largely influenced by the service provider. mine happens to be sk telecom.

anyone else tried this? what's your carrier?
    05-08-12 08:58 AM
    Xbox live over a mobile hotspot?! Now that's something else! Ahaha
    05-08-12 09:05 AM
    This was from AOTS back in 2010. They tested using a 4G hotspot on Sprint while playing Starcraft II on a laptop, Fat Princess on PSP and Halo: Reach on Xbox Live.

Sprint 4G Test with Blair Herter in High Definition

The future is looking pretty cool!
    05-08-12 10:09 AM
    I have a BB 9700 and just wondered if it was possible to use it as a hotspot and connect my MacPro using Wifi to go on line

Rod
    05-08-12 10:18 AM
    I have a BB 9700 and just wondered if it was possible to use it as a hotspot and connect my MacPro using Wifi to go on line

Rod
    Unfortunately, only those who have OS 7.1.x.xxx can use the Mobile HotSpot feature.
    05-08-12 10:21 AM
    I myself wouldn't use xbl over hotspot since I only have 6GB of data only on my plan and I play mw3 a lot so I'll definitely go over in a day or 2 lol
    05-08-12 02:33 PM
    I myself wouldn't use xbl over hotspot since I only have 6GB of data only on my plan and I play mw3 a lot so I'll definitely go over in a day or 2 lol
    ohhh
    do not let your data cap keep you from enjoying xbox live. the service by itself only sips data. i've played 6 full games of halo reach with total downloads of under 24mb and uploads under 11mb (i did not use the headset for in-game chat but this should just be more data by very little)

just stay away from any video-streaming content or high-quality music streaming.
    05-08-12 07:03 PM
    ohhh
    do not let your data cap keep you from enjoying xbox live. the service by itself only sips data. i've played 6 full games of halo reach with total downloads of under 24mb and uploads under 11mb (i did not use the headset for in-game chat but this should just be more data by very little)

just stay away from any video-streaming content or high-quality music streaming.
    I would question this... how can it be 24MB of data when it is transferring complete game data for dozens of players in those 6 games. Maybe the data usage isnt being recorded properly.

This might actually work in Canada though because companies like WIND offer unlimited call/text/data for like $50 ... they 'throttle' after 3 or 4 GB... but im sure if it only uses 24MB that wont be an issue.

Try it again and make sure it actually uses that much data... its better to be SURE then to pay A LOT of money in a few weeks
    05-08-12 07:18 PM
    I would question this... how can it be 24MB of data when it is transferring complete game data for dozens of players in those 6 games. Maybe the data usage isnt being recorded properly.

This might actually work in Canada though because companies like WIND offer unlimited call/text/data for like $50 ... they 'throttle' after 3 or 4 GB... but im sure if it only uses 24MB that wont be an issue.

Try it again and make sure it actually uses that much data... its better to be SURE then to pay A LOT of money in a few weeks
    i think i know where are you coming with this opinion.
    i thought the same thing when i "took the plunge" but i was pleasantly surprised that this was not the case. my guess is that the console actually loads the game and xbox live only requires current data (i.e. your current location on the map and what weapons you are are currently equipped with and how many grenades you have, and location of other players).

let me try this again to confirm (both uploads and downloads) and i urge other to confirm.

remember that you must also look at the upload side since your carrier may also account upload data as well. in my case doanload + upload = 24 + 11 = 35mb in 6 games, no audio chat, no online video streaming.
    05-08-12 07:48 PM
    ohhh

I use my home internet connection for all that, I use the hotspot though when im away from home and can't find free wifi. I travel alot within the country so i use the hotspot then and end up using about 5GB a month.
    05-08-12 09:27 PM
    kust played 2 full games. lots of killing and dying, boatload of grenades thrown, precision weapons worked flawlessly, no laggin at all.
    download 9.4mb, upload 6.8mb, no in-game chatting.
    quite higher per game than yesterday but still much much lower than expected for xbox live
    05-09-12 10:40 AM
    kust played 2 full games. lots of killing and dying, boatload of grenades thrown, precision weapons worked flawlessly, no laggin at all.
    download 9.4mb, upload 6.8mb, no in-game chatting.
    quite higher per game than yesterday but still much much lower than expected for xbox live
    do you mind trying WITH in game chat for one game?

Also, im still using the old school xbox which doesnt have wifi, but i may be upgrading so this is pretty cool...

maybe it can be used when you go to the cottage or a friends house who doesnt have internet/wifi
    05-09-12 02:11 PM
    Some of these wireless plans available, especially on LTE are insanely impressive.

they're talking about what? 40+ Mbit/s over cellular networks. With low latency.

That absolutely trounces old dialup, and is easily on par with any service you can get to your home. The only problem is the cost, especially up here in Canada where Telecom costs are expensive.
    05-09-12 02:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD