i have google set as my default home page. if i type something on the search box, and click the "google search" button below the text box, nothing happens. the little hand comes up when i scroll over the button, but nothing happens when i press the button.

if i press the "i'm feeling lucky" button, however, it will work like that button should.

then, if i hit back, and try to use the "google search" button, it works normally!?

what is preventing the "google search" button from working when loading a fresh google page??? i searched the web thoroughly, as well as this forum, both with no luck.

thanks.
    Last edited by bulthatch; 07-03-10 at 12:33 AM.
    07-03-10 12:17 AM
    What carrier?
    What device?
    What OS version on the device?
    What browser?
    What browser emulation?
    07-03-10 05:52 AM
    What carrier?
    What device?
    What OS version on the device?
    What browser?
    What browser emulation?
    thanks for the reply.

weird, i thought my signature would show up to identify my phone and carrier. i don't know what i'm doing, i upgraded to this BB yesterday from an LG VX8300 flip phone, circa 2006

phone: 9650, new as of yesterday
    browser: ?
    browser emulation: firefox. if i switch to blackberry it has a simplfied version of the screen with only a search button and that works. i haven't tried IE since a warning comes up in red text indicating that IE can cause pages to show up incorrectly or something to that effect

i know i could, at this point, just use the BB one, but it perplexes me why in FF emulation the sequence in my initial post is necessary for the "google search" button to work.

apparently the new BB browser that is forthcoming will quell all concerns regarding what browser to use, but in the meantime...
    Last edited by bulthatch; 07-03-10 at 11:00 AM.
    07-03-10 10:24 AM
    Your signature may well be showing up, but I have that setting unchecked so I don't see signatures on the forums.

It's better to put that information in your profile so that it shows up under your user name.

The obvious answer would seem to be (and this is a guess) is that the Firefox emulation doesn't support what you are doing.

Using the BlackBerry emulation typically will produce the best native results. Otherwise you might try an alternate browser such as Bolt or Opera Mini, although personally I don't like either of those but many people do.

Or if you want to search Google directly, you can install the Google Search application.
    07-03-10 02:05 PM
    Your signature may well be showing up, but I have that setting unchecked so I don't see signatures on the forums.

It's better to put that information in your profile so that it shows up under your user name.

The obvious answer would seem to be (and this is a guess) is that the Firefox emulation doesn't support what you are doing.

Using the BlackBerry emulation typically will produce the best native results. Otherwise you might try an alternate browser such as Bolt or Opera Mini, although personally I don't like either of those but many people do.

Or if you want to search Google directly, you can install the Google Search application.
    thanks for your reply.

when you say emulation, you mean what is selected in browser > browser configuration > browser identifcation, right?

i can't imagine that the firefox wouldn't support using the search button on google of all things. and at that would support using the "i'm feeling luck button", which is supremely useless ; )

it even shows the cursor as the hand when i scroll over it. also remember that when i do use the lucky button and hit "back", it'll allow both the regular google search button and the lucky button next to it to be used, just like a normal computer. something is inhibiting the one button from functioning in the initial opening screen.

very strange.

for now i'll use the BB selection but this small glitch will bug me until i find the solution!

07-03-10 02:36 PM
    If I'm interpreting incorrectly please forgive me. On my curve the button next to the search field only provides more choices of search engines, ie: yahoo, google, wiki etc. Try typing your subject in the field and then press the enter key. (The right angled arrow)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-03-10 02:59 PM
    If I'm interpreting incorrectly please forgive me. On my curve the button next to the search field only provides more choices of search engines, ie: yahoo, google, wiki etc. Try typing your subject in the field and then press the enter key. (The right angled arrow)

Yes, just press the enter/return key on your keyboard after you type what you want to search for. The logos to the right are for searching on different search engines or Wikipedia.
    07-03-10 03:40 PM

yeah that's something different. this is some sort of GUI glitch with the firefox emulation. oh well, i'll keep using the BB one until the next gen stuff comes out and i can update and try again!

thanks all.
    07-04-10 12:24 PM
    While on your browser page, press the blackberry button, select "options" and check "enable java script". That should do it.
    Worked for me.

11-17-11 09:27 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD