It was my birthday last week and since I am staying at my partner's family place for a few days, his mother comes to me and said (after blowing the candles) "I know how much you love BlackBerry's, so I got you this phone" and she hands it in a bag... In my head I'm like could she have gotten me the 9900? But of course it was only wishful thinking. She got me the Torch.

If only my birthday is in August! Ugh!

I know I can always sell that one and add a few bucks, but still!!

Anyway, thought to share lol
    07-13-11 05:56 PM
    That is kind of depressing, but hey, at least she got you a brand new phone haha
    07-13-11 05:58 PM
    I know, I was so excited to play with it. Even though in the back of my head I'm thinking "that's not it" but still, there's something about having to configure a BlackBerry and transfer stuff and update it just turns me on! I love it!
    07-13-11 06:06 PM
    why not explain to her your dilemma, and return it, and wait for the next device release?
    07-13-11 06:08 PM
    Because that was the first time I've met her. My partner and I where living in a different country and decided to go "meet the Fockers" so I'm not THAT comfy asking for this! lol
    07-13-11 06:16 PM
    Definitely a better gift than I'm used to getting. I would graciously accept and use it to leapfrog upwards.

(My wife has learned, however, that BlackBerry-related get her extra special attention.)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by BergerKing; 07-13-11 at 06:28 PM.
    07-13-11 06:25 PM
    Definitely a better gift than I'm used to getting. I would graciously accept and use it to leapfrog upwards.

(My wife has learned, however, that BlackBerry-related get her extra special attention.)

That's exactly what I've done. My response was "Thank you so much, I've always wanted a Torch" and to be honest, I am liking it. First time using it, and my conclusion is people seriously underrate it! It's not bullet fast, but faster than my 9780 that's for sure. Only drawback I find is that it's almost impossible to use the keyboard when charging. I have difficulty holding the phone.
    07-13-11 06:31 PM
    I would enjoy the 9800 for a while even after the 9900 is released. It would show her you appreciate the gift, PLUS it would give you some time to see how the 9900 is received upon mass release. Seeing it at shows and reading blog reviews is one thing BUT nothing beats seeing how the CB community reacts to the device. Then around Christmas time treat yourself to the 9900.
    07-13-11 06:31 PM
    The torch is indeed a very good device, and as a gift.... it's even better. If u encounter any issues with the device... give us a yell and we are here.
    07-14-11 05:20 AM
    Love the positive energy in this post!

07-14-11 05:51 AM
    Because that was the first time I've met her. My partner and I where living in a different country and decided to go "meet the Fockers" so I'm not THAT comfy asking for this! lol
    Like you said - just trade it in when the 9900 comes out. Or sell it on Ebay. I'd be willing to bet she never knows the difference.
    07-14-11 06:25 AM
    My upgrade comes in November when the 9900 should be out long enough to get real life reviews. In the meantime the Torch continues to be a wonderful device. Other than not using when charging there are no real issues in my hands. Enjoy the phone while you have the chance. And always be grateful when anyone recognizes the things in life that make you happiest.
    07-14-11 06:54 AM
    Haha, I wonder what would of happened if she said, "I know how much you like Blackberry's" and you looked in the bag and saw your new Droid!

07-14-11 09:28 PM
    wow, what a nice gift for only meeting once. The torch really is a great device. If she does find out you got a new phone and she asks about it, just tell her it dropped in water or something.
    07-14-11 09:57 PM
    That's exactly what I've done. My response was "Thank you so much, I've always wanted a Torch" and to be honest, I am liking it. First time using it, and my conclusion is people seriously underrate it! It's not bullet fast, but faster than my 9780 that's for sure. Only drawback I find is that it's almost impossible to use the keyboard when charging. I have difficulty holding the phone.
    Turn it on its side and practice typing on the touchscreen when its charging..
    07-14-11 10:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD