You do realise that any device over 4" has terrible battery. In fact you have to lower the brightness to nothing, turn off all location services, turn off unnecessary antennas WiFi Nfc Bluetooth and carry a charger or extra battery. It's the way lf the future until improved technology comes about. Its not the Lumia, they're all like that. And 10 hours on a phone like that is pretty amazing.
    I turned off nfc, have my brightness set to low, have only the weather app running in the background and it is still poor battery life. If bb10 is the same then I'll just go iPhone.
    11-18-12 08:01 PM
    For those who are so quick to defend the competition, my question to you is: where are you when others are bashing RIM?
    Answering a question with a question: who cares? ALL smart phones have bugs and glitches, even established OS ones. They more or less get fixed sooner or later. Come back and squabble if it's still unresolved in a few months
    11-18-12 08:08 PM
    I turned off nfc, have my brightness set to low, have only the weather app running in the background and it is still poor battery life. If bb10 is the same then I'll just go iPhone.
    I have used an iphone 5 and the most you will get out of it is 5-8 hours. That's heavy use. Or 10-14 hours without any use, few messages or emails.

It's the Antennas that draw alot power.

Lte+4.5" ips display... 10 hours is really good.

All devices are like this.
    I have a s3, most I can get out of it with heavy use is 6 hours.
    11-18-12 08:09 PM
    To answer the OP question, I would hazard a guess as it can’t hurt.
    I'm not looking for WP8 to fail. I would much rather they succeed than Android. But perception is reality. Just ask RIM!
    The more damming of the recent issues being the Trojan. This is out there and has real ramifications in enterprise. Enterprise being RIMs backyard.
    Will RIM have issues at launch, probably but if they don’t or they are minor and easily overlooked due to being minor, they have a real chance at gaining the needed momentum over WP8. Perhaps RIM understood this when deciding to delay
    11-18-12 11:52 PM
    As a WP 7 user (Samsung Focus S owner), I am spending my first post on a thread about problems with WP 8. Go figure, huh?

I spend a lot of time on WP Central and the couple of other sites I post on defending RIM and it's future. For all of Microsoft's deep pockets, the ecosystem they are building, and the cross platform development they now can offer, I still see one thing RIM has they do not: HUGE fan base. WP is still trying to build it, BlackBerry has it. No way around it.

I enjoyed my old Curve. I feel that RIM has been trying to make the right decisions in the past year. But there is no way around this: BB10 will succeed on it's own merits, not because of WP 8 failing, Apple standing still, or people getting burned out on Android. Could problems with WP 8 help? Sure, if those problems were so bad it chased off users and eliminated WP from the landscape. But there is no chance of that happening. None. There is already talk of another huge update to WP 8 which will include a notification center, improvements to Kids Corner such as Internet controls, and some Bluetooth file transfer updates. WP is not going away.

But really, like RIM fans need a pep talk. This is an EXCITING time for RIM. BB10 looks promising. I have decided to hold off until the 7.8 update to my phone just to see how BB10 looks. I am 90% sure I am a WP 8 user waiting to happen, but I like RIM hardware and performance enough to wait and see. If it blows me away, I might just give it a go.

RIM doesn't need WP to fail. It needs BB10 to succeed.
    11-19-12 12:15 AM
    Are we not allowed to enjoy a little failure from the competition anymore?

Bottom line is we, the consumer, should wake up to this manufacturer's way of selling unfinished products only to promise to fix them later. This would not fly with any other product, imagine buying a car that has so much bugs.

I hope that's what RIM is doing with BB10 and the delay.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    11-19-12 02:47 AM
    Just like windows 8 is a new platform, blackberry 10 is also. However, the difference? Blackberry won't exactly have security hiccups.

My two cents.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 on 7.1.0.714 with Tapatalk and my fingers
    11-19-12 04:23 AM
    Are we not allowed to enjoy a little failure from the competition anymore?

Bottom line is we, the consumer, should wake up to this manufacturer's way of selling unfinished products only to promise to fix them later. This would not fly with any other product, imagine buying a car that has so much bugs.

I hope that's what RIM is doing with BB10 and the delay.
    Yep, just like a much beloved company that would sell you a tablet - at a premium price - with no native e-mail client.
    That kind of company. Right?
    waker likes this.
    11-19-12 04:56 AM
    Yep, just like a much beloved company that would sell you a tablet - at a premium price - with no native e-mail client.
    Exactly like that and it's a mistake I'd like to think and I hope they learned from.

Edit- clearly microsoft haven't.
    11-19-12 07:02 AM
    And yet there is no evidence that they have learned. But their PR must be getting better.

Have you tried Windows Phone 8 yet? Or are you basing everything on what you read on the Internet?

I know you haven't tried a production BB 10 device as they still don't exist.
    11-19-12 07:17 AM
    Goes for any company. BTW they didn't sell me a tablet without NATIVE email, I bought one by choice not someone selling it to me. I think win8 metro interface is fine for phones and tablets but it is completely ignored by me on my lappy.
    Prince_Poppycock likes this.
    11-19-12 08:01 AM
    Goes for any company. BTW they didn't sell me a tablet without NATIVE email, I bought one by choice not someone selling it to me. I think win8 metro interface is fine for phones and tablets but it is completely ignored by me on my lappy.
    Well technically, by the time I bought a PlayBook it did have native email, however, I don't use my PlayBook for email, it's a shared family entertainment tablet.
    kbz1960 and spike12 like this.
    11-19-12 08:08 AM
    And yet there is no evidence that they have learned. But their PR must be getting better.

Have you tried Windows Phone 8 yet? Or are you basing everything on what you read on the Internet?

I know you haven't tried a production BB 10 device as they still don't exist.
    Is it really excusable for Microsoft with all the money they have to release such a problematic device/OS?

And to answer your question, no and I don't intend to, they completely ignored the section of the market I'm a customer in, the qwerty market.

At least RIM delayed BB10 rather then releasing it early but unfinished. The rest, only time will tell.
    spike12 likes this.
    11-19-12 08:11 AM
    Good to see that you draw conclusions without your own testing.
    I have a Lumia 920 and have not had any of the issues you are so well familiar with (battery life - no BlackBerry has ever had that problem, etc.)

You are assuming that BB 10 will be released finished.
    11-19-12 08:32 AM
    Good to see that you draw conclusions without your own testing.
    I have a Lumia 920 and have not had any of the issues you are so well familiar with (battery life - no BlackBerry has ever had that problem, etc.)

You are assuming that BB 10 will be released finished.
    I'm not assuming, I'm hoping.
    11-19-12 09:10 AM
    I think that Windows 8, or Windows Phone 8 problems will not help MS. They were starting to have the memories of the Vista debacle die down. I wasn't expecting WP8 sales or Window 8 RT sales to be notable anyway. As to who it will benefit, time will tell, but at the moment it won't help RIM. If they had an alternative available today, then maybe, but they won't have a product for people to move to till February.
    11-19-12 09:20 AM
    I'm not assuming, I'm hoping.
    Believe it or not, me too. Competition is always good.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    11-19-12 09:29 AM
    MrFreeTruth - For someone who doesn't know anyone with a Windows Phone (you have stated that in ALL CAPS several times) you seem to know a lot about the problems.
    And yet, somehow, it is sold out at retail stores. I went to two today - got some very nice accessories (wireless charging is great) and I haven't experienced the problems you are crowing about.

Wait for BB 10. Then gloat.
    LOl you shills are touchy today. I hope and think WP8 will sell ok or maybe even well and it's not because Wp8 is a good phone. The way I see it is that people are tired and bord of their same old apple and android phones and looking for something new. I don't like the live tiles or anything else from WP8 but it's at least DIFFERENT from apple and android and that's good enough to get people to switch. My thought is if WP8 who has no users base to build on and is using a OS that doesn't excite and has problems and yet people are still willing to try somthing new? WP8 and BB10 is DIFFERENT and new and I think Apple and android is going to lose a nice % of their users to WP8 and BB10. If WP8 can steal users using WP8 what will BB10 do?
    sf49ers likes this.
    11-19-12 09:50 AM
    I find the live tiles and the hub pretty much the same thing.
    11-19-12 10:06 AM
    I corrected this for you:
    The way I see it is that people are tired and bord of their same old apple and android and old BlackBerry phones and looking for something new.

The BlackBerry shills are the same as every other fan group...

If WP8 can steal users using WP8 (whatever that means) what will BB 10 do? NO ONE KNOWS BECAUSE IT ISN'T AVAILABLE. And you can't argue that (although you will try)..

Shill away...
    11-19-12 10:12 AM
    If you look hard enough, you'll find write ups on problems on all platforms (ie. bricking 9900s, iMessage failures, GS3 exploits etc.). Owners of said platforms, especially if they are unaffected, tend to view the issues as blown out of proportion, or not a big deal. But when there is a problem affecting another platform, then all of a sudden it's a "gotcha" moment, and it is a big deal to be magnified and dissected under a microscope.

Human nature I guess.
    spike12 likes this.
    11-19-12 10:19 AM
    There is absolutely no sales evidence that anyone is bored of android - none, nil, zilch - if we took every person everybody (active users) on this forum knew I doubt it would add up to one half of the activations of android devices per day. If we are going to have these conversations, we might as well as set them in this reality. There is evidence that people take the echo chambers that are tech forum as representing the same views as normal people.
    Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
    11-19-12 10:21 AM
    I find the live tiles and the hub pretty much the same thing.
    Actually, they're not. Live Tiles in WP8 roughly correspond maybe to the Live FRAMES in BB10, but the actual Hub is a centralized messaging bin. Microsoft tried to implement this in WP8 and admitted they couldn't, at least not in time for launch.
    11-19-12 11:03 AM
    Actually, they're not. Live Tiles in WP8 roughly correspond maybe to the Live FRAMES in BB10, but the actual Hub is a centralized messaging bin. Microsoft tried to implement this in WP8 and admitted they couldn't, at least not in time for launch.
    My bad, the active frames or whatever they call the icons on screen that update.
    11-19-12 11:13 AM
    Is it really excusable for Microsoft with all the money they have to release such a problematic device/OS?

And to answer your question, no and I don't intend to, they completely ignored the section of the market I'm a customer in, the qwerty market.

At least RIM delayed BB10 rather then releasing it early but unfinished. The rest, only time will tell.
    SOME folks complain about infrequent random reboots and poor battery life. Not a statistical majority and certainly nothing that can absolutely be pinned on the OS. Who knows if it's an issue with the OEM hardware?

You're jumping to conclusions here. Head over to the PlayBook forum and you'll find folks complain of issues like poor battery life, sluggish web browsing experience, frequent crashing. Would you be thrilled if some journalist ran with it and insisted that the PlayBook (and hence the upcoming QNX based BB10) had deep flaws?

Software is never really finished. Saying WP8 is an 'unfinished OS' because of a lack of a notification centre is just FUD.

Finally, prior to the painful but necessary split between 7.8 and WP8, Microsoft were actually pretty exemplary when it came to phone software updates. Every single WP7 device released since 2010 will move to 7.8. 2 solid years of updates is more than we've usually seen from Android OEMs and RIM.
    snowmutt likes this.
    11-19-12 11:47 AM
79 1234