The excitement of my new shipment of BlackBerry Classics came today for all my employees. Over time and through the years we've gone from the Storm to the Curve, upgrading to the 9930s, the Zed 10s, and now the Classics. In a meeting today I handed out all the new Classics with some overlay here during it where my employees can still use there Zed 10s and the Classic at the same time until next week give or take having to swap their BlackBerry IDs back and forth for personal between the two devices.

The surprise here was that after two hours of intense usage on the new Classic and so forth, an overwhelming majority spoke and said they prefer the Zed 10 over the Classic. I was in shock, literally as this goes past the point of just everyday general preference(s) for the full qwerty vs. the touch. I guess it's just 'shock value' here where I've spent an enormous investment in these new classics, but with the Z10s, I'm at a lost for words.

I suppose if I can afford to allow them to use both I will and maybe it will take a bit of an adjustment period on either side of the line, but, for example, how all of us embraced the 9930 at the time vs using the Classic, there's no comparison, and to think, that for the most part after two years with the original flagship device as the Zed 10, with the specs being almost identical give or take a few, I'm thinking about the embracing period here. A resounding 'wow' here. I really thought they'd be excited as I took polls, had them read the reviews and so forth, not to mention how the new classics will work with our BES10 etc., I don't know what to say.

I guess as an owner in relation to BlackBerry, I am an early adopter. BlackBerry is every much a part of my professional life as it is personal and I want my employees to be happy. I suppose if they have to use both I may let them as I need to go over integration and so forth of keeping the Zeds and using the new Classics.

Still to this day, the Zed 10 to me was way ahead of its time (see my post on "A time in passing: Remembering my Zed 10, two years, the flagship of beauty in a new era")

That Z10 is still as strong today for all the right reasons. Curious to see where the Classics will take us...
    02-27-15 04:45 PM
    Well they will prefer the battery life of the classic
    02-27-15 04:59 PM
    I never tried the Z10 but I hear many great things about the phone. The only negative thing I heard about it is the battery life. I hope BlackBerry comes out a new z10 replacement soon with a great battery life like the Passport.
    kbz1960 and MarsupilamiX like this.
    02-27-15 04:59 PM
    I'd be more than happy to take one of those Classics if they return it to you (verizon brand)
    02-27-15 05:02 PM
    And this is why Chen is releasing the Leap 'Rio', business users want an inexpensive touch replacement for the Z10 but don't want to spend $700 for a flagship.
    stevepar, stevobbm, lift and 1 others like this.
    02-27-15 05:03 PM
    Yes that is a hard one for shure but i wonder if they would have came halfway to the likes of a passport with the form of both phones touch and keypad. Personally i came from a z10 to a passport and im not looking back (z10) or forward to the classic maby beyod, the future is not known at this point so passport will remain till somthing blows it away in 2 years. or maby sooner time will tell, hopefully u find a common ground in the future with one phone.
    02-27-15 05:09 PM
    Sounds like Chen could be wrong about the pkb.
    02-27-15 05:14 PM
    not for me for sure the Classic all the way^^^^^^^
    02-27-15 05:19 PM
    And this is why Chen is releasing the Leap 'Rio', business users want an inexpensive touch replacement for the Z10 but don't want to spend $700 for a flagship.
    Are you just making that up or is it a presumption or do you have any facts to back up your statement?

Posted via CB10
    02-27-15 05:21 PM
    Honestly, if your employees were happy using z10s, then they were (IMO) not the target market for the classic. It is more aimed at getting the remaining bbos holdouts moved on to bb10.
    Admittedly you may not have had many other choices for upgrades due to BlackBerry 's somewhat limited range, but if it ain't broke, why fix it?
    Have to agree with the comments regarding the z10 as an excellent device.
    02-27-15 05:22 PM
    touchscreens in. buttons are the past my 13 year old says to me lol
    02-27-15 05:25 PM
    Are you just making that up or is it a presumption or do you have any facts to back up your statement?

Posted via CB10
    Business is all about TCO. What does a Z50 do for the typical touch BB10 business user that the Rio doesn't. Rio will be manufactured for at least a year or more and the Z10 is no longer. Not every BB user yearns for PKB.

Its much the same for Apple. The less expensive regular 6 is much more popular than the 6Plus for the business market.
    I'd give them some more time with their Classics. I bet at least some of them will come around. But some people will just prefer all-touch.

From a Z30
    acovey and bh7171 like this.
    To keep the devices and your business budget you might tell them they can buy the Z10 at (reasonable deal) for personal use. Maybe they can't give up the screen real estate. I love my Z10, but I have never been on a physical keyboard. I would think battery life would be an issue. I have a chance to plug in, so it works fine for my purposes. You have to wonder what they will think when 10.3.1 hits.
    02-27-15 05:30 PM

Posted via CB10
    No, that's what phone is for. It sure isn't an upgrade to anything other than maybe the Z10.
    02-27-15 05:35 PM
    So 99% of smartphones sold are all touch and there is shock that end users prefer all touch over the Classic?! Chen might be in shock too when he realizes what a waste it was to focus so much on PKB and ignoring the existing Z line customers. I'm seeing federal employees taking the Z line over PKB too. Unless you are typing super long emails, books, or documents, PKB just isn't needed and most end users want all touch.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-15 05:44 PM
    OP- did any of them say WHY?
    02-27-15 05:45 PM
    Some people prefer all-touch devices and there's nothing wrong with that.

That said, NO WAY is 2 hours enough time to give any new device a fair shake. I usually give it at least 2 weeks of daily use before I make any final judgements.

Having a physical keyboard, trackpad, and toolbelt means a very different workflow from what they've been used to. It doesn't mean it's worse than the Z10, it's just different. They really need to be more patient and give it some time.
    fkornre, acovey and lactose like this.
    02-27-15 05:51 PM

It doesn't mean it's worse than the Z10, it's just different. WAY FASTER.
    fixed it...
    02-27-15 05:55 PM
    I kind of understand how they feel.
    All those games they used to play all day at work won't run on the square screen, also at home, they can't use it to play videos for their kids while they are eating dinner.

Sarcasm aside, it is a real adjustment and was designed as an upgrade for the Bold and Q10 users versus the Z10 users.
    I think there is also an appearances issue with the Classic in that it looks like a really old phone.

I got the Classic for my wife and she loves it (held onto her Bold as long as she could)
    02-27-15 06:01 PM
    Z10 is a great phone. I miss mine.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-15 06:08 PM
    After the OS update I do get pretty good battery life on the z10 but probably not as good as a new Classic.

I wonder if the negative feedback from his employees is because in the USA the Zed10 disappears in a sea of all touch phones. If you can type well on a virtual keyboard there really would be no advantage to the Classic. Perhaps they do not like that their boss did not give them a choice. At the very least he should be giving the choice of using a Z30. The majority of employees would prefer a Z30 over a Classic if given a choice.

OP should be reconsidering his management strategies. He seems very top down, my way or the highway.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-15 06:09 PM
    I wish my employer provided a BlackBerry device. Have to bring my own device and I switch between a Z and Q 10. I. Like the concept of the passport but the form factor isn't what I like. I definitely think the classic will be a good place to land for my next device.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-15 06:13 PM
    Well i am not surprised your employees prefer the Z10 instead of Classic because Z10 has bigger screen real estate than the Classic. They must play a lot of video clips otherwise they wont want the Z10.
    CyberMan2013 likes this.
    02-27-15 06:20 PM
    If you can type well on a virtual keyboard there really would be no advantage to the Classic.
    Except all the shortcuts.
    And the one handed operation.
    With gloves.
    02-27-15 06:30 PM
211 123 ...