well if you go over to the carrier threads on this fine site there are a lot of people that feel trapped in their 2yr contract and don't like to pay their etf.
    Most reasons are due to different carriers getting newer and better berries.

Well I was reading a rss feed from berryreview and they did some canadian research.
    I think you will be suprised, lol

Here's the article

Over the past few years I have learned quite a bit about wireless plans in Canada. I remember the first time I heard of a 3 year contract� I used to think that carriers sucked in the US due to ridiculous early termination fees (ETF) and 2 year contracts. Then I started getting some insight into how bad it is just north of the border and all of a sudden I feel quite lucky. I recently did some digging into ETF (known as ECF�s in Canada) so I could get a bit more insight about how things work over there. I actually found it quite enlightening as to how bad it is in RIM�s own country.So lets get down to the details. In general you will be forced to always sign a 3 year contract to get decent pricing on any phone. The only exception is FIDO who has a 2 year option deal for regular phones (not smartphones). To get a decent deal on any smartphone you will almost always sign a 3 year Voice Term + 3 Year Data/3 Year Surging contract.NOTE: All numbers are in Canadian Dollars. There may be some slight errors in here just because this stuff is simply confusing! Let me know if I got something wrong. Rogers � Rogers & Bell are more or less the same� Practically no discount for 2 year contracts� 3 Year Voice + 3 Year Data for all BlackBerry Handhelds.� Cancellation Policy: � Voice - $20 for every remaining month in contract, Max $400, Min $100.* � Data / Vision / Surfing - $5 for every remaining month in contract, Max $100, Min $25.* � NOTES: They require 30 days notice to cancel so you may get charged for another full month before cancellation is applied.* � Real World Example:* BlackBerry Bold retails for $599-$649 + tax on Rogers.* Rogers sells the Bold for $249+tax on a 3 Year Voice + Data.* Maximum cost for the Bold if one cancels their contract early in their contract is $249+$400ECF+$100DECF+tax = $749+tax (which in Ontario is ~$850)� Bell Mobility � Mostly the same as Rogers with a few exceptions:� Data appears to be required for Smartphones as there is no 3 year ONLY option for these devices� ECF appears to be $400 MAX for ALL Devices and $100 minimum for ALL devices� NOTES: As usual cancellations take 30 days to process. Telus Mobility - � Practically no discount for 2 year contracts� 3 Year Voice + 1 Year Data for all BlackBerry Handhelds. After 1 year, you can remove data.� Cancellation Policy: � Voice - $20 for every remaining month in contract, NO MAXIMUM, Min $100.* No maximum means that at 36 months remaining, the Voice ECF is $720 + tax.* � Data / Surfing ECF is $100. � NOTES: Cancellations take 30 days to process. � Real World Example:* BlackBerry Storm retails for $599+tax on Telus.* Telus sells the Storm for $199 when the client�s Voice, Data and Email totals $40 before taxes.* Maximum fee is $199 + $720 + TAX ($1039 in Ontario). There is also the possibility of the $100 fee for cancelling data within the year. I just find these numbers staggering. I know it is slightly offset by carriers in Canada letting you resign a contract while you are 2 years into it to get a new device. On the other hand most of my BlackBerrys barely last a year let alone 2 or 3! Let me know what you think or if you found a country that has worse cancelation fees.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-11-09 11:48 PM
    US carriers and carriers elsewhere aren't all that much better. people should be aware of how long they get locked in a contract, it's their fault if they want to break it and get stuck with all those fees.
    04-12-09 12:50 AM
    *sigh* Yes, it's been a long-running vex up here..
    04-12-09 12:59 AM
    shud live in the UK

free phone
    18 month contact
    �30 a month - unlimited calls text and data
    04-12-09 02:38 AM
    Well I hear companies are suppose to give you 6 months max to pay your early termination fees in the US before you get in trouble or they take legal action and whatever. Dunno if that carries over but christ that is ridiculous. I did read a thing awhile back about the US gov't making it illegal for companies to charge a fee for cancelling early.

04-12-09 03:09 AM
    They are making it illegal to not PRORATE your fees. It will still be legal to charge them, they just have to adjust it according to how much time is left.. Like it seems to be in canada

04-12-09 05:47 AM
    I'm happy to live in America for a million more reasons than cell phone plans and their inclusive "small print".

04-12-09 10:43 AM
    I'm happy to live in America for a million more reasons than cell phone plans and their inclusive "small print".

Absolutely true! But the OP's comments are just icing, I guess.

04-12-09 04:00 PM
    Yeah, it's ridiculous with Telus. Getting very annoyed with them, and wanting to take my two numbers over to Rogers. But at $1500+; **** no. Unless Rogers can pay that for me, looks like I'm stuck with Telus (and getting annoyed more and more :x).
    04-12-09 04:11 PM

This^

04-12-09 06:45 PM
    Yeah, it's ridiculous with Telus. Getting very annoyed with them, and wanting to take my two numbers over to Rogers. But at $1500+; **** no. Unless Rogers can pay that for me, looks like I'm stuck with Telus (and getting annoyed more and more :x).
    Why? Rogers is the same story, different carrier..
    04-12-09 08:47 PM
    I've been a Rogers custumer for over 6 years. When I upgraded for my Flip they wanted me to sign another 3 year contract which I did because I'm not planning to change it over to another carrier anytime soon. BUT I was thinking the amount I've been paying each month for Rogers it's way more in 3 years than my cancellation fee would be. So for me cancellation is cheaper than stay with them. That's why I'm a little bit frustrated why Rogers want me to sign the contract after 6 years being a loyal custumer when they would lose money if I cancel my contract.
    04-12-09 09:02 PM
    Definitely happy I am not in Canada or some European countries.... $30/unl data is already a pain, but not as bad as others have it.
    04-12-09 09:08 PM
    Freakenomics 101: The 2-year contract commitment allows the carrier to recover the cost of the phone. In essence you are financing the phone with the contract. Buy the phone outright and you can get a month-to-month service contract.
    04-12-09 09:14 PM
    Freakenomics 101: The 2-year contract commitment allows the carrier to recover the cost of the phone. In essence you are financing the phone with the contract. Buy the phone outright and you can get a month-to-month service contract.
    04-12-09 09:23 PM
    you can do that.. but it will cost more (at least with rogers) for a data plan if you don't have a contract.. it doesn't matter.. they'll getcha. =)
    04-12-09 10:20 PM
    If you don't like contracts, but the phone outright. Its expensive up front, but a **** of a lot cheaper than finding out you're scared of commitment a year or 6 months into a contract.

I've been on the same 3 year contract for 5 years now. First time re-upped on it was 2 years in for the free upgrade, since then I've been re-upping yearly. Between the loyalty bonuses, data credit for keepping a UL data plan, and the odd threat to cancel (even with 2 years left on a contract, that works, believe it or not) you can get new phones cheaper than the 3 year contract price. My one year date into my latest contract is this Sunday. Bell's curent 3 year price for the storm is 250, recently up from 199. If I upgrade to that, I'll get it for 99. Yes my contract will be back to 3 years, but its not like Bell has any REAL competition anyway....

04-15-09 07:39 AM
    That is an enlightening article. I didn't know that.
    04-15-09 08:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD