Sooooo...... As per request. I encrypted my device, set my camera to store images on device vs. my media card which it was set to, took a photo and Bam! Instantly uploaded to Dropbox totally unencrypted.

Lesson learned: Even with my device encrypted, if I was taking nudies they'd still be uploaded to Dropbox from my BlackBerry and therefore, still susceptible to a Dropbox hack.
    I guess tresorit has a use after all....

Posted via CB10
    The Big Picture likes this.
    09-02-14 09:00 PM
    Apple has been pushing the cloud thing for a long time. They never had an SD slot on their phones for people to save their stuff to. The icloud is on by default. Google is starting to do the same thing. I read that in some of the later versions of android SD cards are not going to be allowed. Many windows phones have no SD slots too. All the platforms are pushing the cloud crap and that sucks.
    09-02-14 09:05 PM
    I just find it amazing for a company like apple who makes a pretty secure o/s especially with their imacs and laptops, or at least I thought it was safer and secure, to fail in terms of cell phone security. Been using an imac for 10 years and never even had it crash or compromised to my knowledge
    It's not. IOS 8 is there first true attempt to containerize.

Posted via CB10
    09-02-14 09:08 PM
    This wired article released today seems to have some good info about the celebrity hack.
    The Police Tool That Pervs Use to Steal Nude Pics From Apple?s iCloud | Threat Level | WIRED
    The Big Picture and gebco like this.
    09-02-14 09:53 PM
    All the platforms are pushing the cloud crap and that sucks
    Cloud isn't bad. It just needs to remain optional.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    09-02-14 10:04 PM
    This wired article released today seems to have some good info about the celebrity hack.
    The Police Tool That Pervs Use to Steal Nude Pics From Apple?s iCloud | Threat Level | WIRED
    That is some scary stuff. Glad I really don't use any cloud storage for much more than sharing some large files, most of which are videos taken at public events. I'm also glad to have an SD card in my phone, but now I'm thinking I need to encrypt it; not that there is really anything super private, but why would I want a thief to have access to my family pics?
    lift and Genghis2k3 like this.
    09-02-14 10:05 PM
    Having the cloud can be handy; having it as an OPTION, and not quasi obligatory is a good thing.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    09-02-14 10:06 PM
    Having an SD slot on a phone is a must have feature. When a company (platform) refuses to put one in their devices it is just proof that they don't want you to have control over your music, pictures, videos etc. They want you to store all your stuff in their cloud. Have you read the terms of service and privacy policy for some of these cloud services. Basically they say that they can do what they want with your stuff. It's just crazy.
    Playbook007 likes this.
    09-02-14 10:10 PM
    Did you do a check of the encrypted files on the media card? How do those look of you hook it up to a PC?

Guess the bottom line is files go up to dropbox/box unencrypted. So the two factor auth is very important. I enabled two factor on my box account today, and it is pretty good about reporting I would say. Not that I have much to protect there, but I see emails when a web login is made or any new access, which ain't bad.

Posted via CB10
    09-02-14 10:16 PM
    Was an account hack not a cloud attack.... if someone hacked Icloud it would be a data miners dream come true.... if someone can figure out your user name and password they can pretty much get in anywhere... one of the pitfallls of too much connectivity with an users account......as for Apple's take on all this... well remember that this is the same company that told customers there was no attena issue with the Iphone it was the way the the users were holding the phone......
    I suppose the risk is twofold: (1) putting all data with one account (2) while not taking sufficient security precautions.

Apple is partially responsible by making it too easy for users to enable all kinds of iCloud features without educating their users properly. It’s a single switch in the setup process that may have far-reaching consequences for your data. Apple also failed to highlight security measures, instead only requiring one simple password when setting up the iCloud account. It’s true that Apple has added two-step authentication recently, but that one isn’t included in the setup process yet (I think) and barely advertised. What’s more, you can only change your iCloud password and set up two-step authentication by managing the underlying Apple ID, which can only be accessed on a special website (appleid.apple.com) in your browser. As such, keeping track of your iCloud security details can be tedious on an iOS device and it’s not particularly straightforward on a desktop either. This must be changed.

Apple’s services can be very confusing. The integration between Apple’s cloud services iCloud (and before MobileMe) together with Apple IDs has been a known problem for years. Apple insists on keeping them separate and doesn’t offer a method to merge separate accounts together. It’s possible that people may have various Apple IDs in addition to their iCloud accounts, making this a great mess. I have an Apple ID for iTunes and the App Store, another one for my old MobileMe account (I don’t know why it still exists) and another for my iCloud account. Simply confusing.

I can imagine how this happened. Some victims set up their iPhones, created an iCloud account and enabled iCloud, made some pictures, uploaded them (perhaps unaware) to the cloud and failed to secure their accounts properly with frequent password changes and two-step authentication, thereby exposing themselves to crackers. This isn’t a problem common to celebrities, but can happen to anyone who doesn’t observe what their phones are doing with the cloud. I’m sure that there are lots and lots of people that don’t even remember that they have an iCloud account.
    Laura Knotek and Superfly_FR like this.
    09-02-14 10:33 PM
    Apple has been so good at selling their stuff, that they now serve such a low common denominator of "tech skilled" customers. They essentially have to make their devices and services as dumbed down as modern cars,.. including automatic backup breaking, lane departure control, blind spot detection, etc.

The more they disconnect the end user with the "how" of how things work in their relentless pursuit of "it just works",.. the more the burden of responsibility to make sure their systems don't harm anyone will shift to them. It's like the imessages fiasco,.. people are blinded to the sms/imessages integration, never think about it, and then are confused when things go wrong when they switch.

Posted via CB10
    09-03-14 12:27 AM
    Yep. That's that mind share I keep hearing about around here.

Posted via CB10
    Don't like it? you're free to go to Imore or Android Central anytime you feel like it.
    09-03-14 02:06 AM
    Great
    09-03-14 03:41 AM
    It's too close to earnings. Last time they were in green but that was due to tax cuts and sell of buildings etc
    09-03-14 03:57 AM
    Clip was more highlighting the strenght of BlackBerry than explaining the celbs' hack. And that's positive for BlackBerry in the Enterprise space.
    Consumers side isn't the problem here and I believe that's why BlackBerry isn't jumping on the occasion in general media (edited : as Bla1ze wrote earlier, there's as much danger than reward to do so).

About the hack itself, the celeb' case just highlighted what's been revealed last month (I guess) about the proven flaw existing in find my iPhone feature. Anyone with a little knowledge of hacker's behavior will totally ignore the celeb's case and would be much more worried in knowing how many accounts (celebs or not) have been compromized during the past month using the pithon script posted on github.

apple PR is brilliant - as usual - and instead of talking about it (the flaw), they smoke the celeb's story with a vague statement. Story will die with a bunch of free iP6s and upcomming events.

But CTOs and security admins already got this : if there was indeed a brute force attack flaw anywhere, then the iCloud security has been compromized. For sure. And this level of flaw is denoting an amateurish approach, to say the least (reminds me the "goto:error" one).
    Security is BlackBerry fundation, bottom up. And it's now spawned everywhere. That's what "we" gain from this.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 09-03-14 at 04:21 AM.
    09-03-14 04:04 AM
    No where near enough what BlackBerry needs to 'save' it in the sense of becoming relevant again (which for me goes beyond Chen's goal of 10 million devices per year)

1) doesn't inform people about Blackberry's new devices

2) doesn't appeal to non-celeberity consumers although I acknowledge that a lot of people follow celebs, I haven't seen any recent traction on this from a BlackBerry side

I agree with Bla1ze that the best move for BlackBerry is to not directly involved themselves with the situation in any way, buut if around the time they start Passport/Classic adverts there is a slight emphasis on security then so be it..

It doesn't matter what the facts are (as others have said) and with news the facts tend to come a long time after an event more on reviewing them rather than reporting them, perception is what counts, and perception is an Apple product iCloud in some way related to a breach..

Whether in reality this actually equates to any BlackBerry sales.. I highly doubt.. the mood is shifting but it's not on 'cool' yet, it's on the far right side of acceptable.

My final not to this rant of sorts is we (I assume) don't want people to get a BlackBerry because they have to, we want people to buy BlackBerry devices because they want to, having recognised the marketed value in it..

All in all.. meh

Check Out TechCraze
    Andy_bb_king and alan510 like this.
    09-03-14 04:06 AM
    I remember when I got my iPad, it was a pain in the *** to have to shut off iCloud. You have to go out of your way to do it. I bet you all these celebs had no idea their photos were even saved on iCloud and they just assumed they were just on their own phones.
    Like this?
    Attached Thumbnails WOW! Great BB plug on Fox Business!-img_20140903_170535_edit.png  
    The Big Picture and lift like this.
    09-03-14 04:08 AM
    "Will iCloud?s hack save BlackBerry?
    Sep. 02, 2014 - 7:51 - Vic Alboini of Jaguar Financial and Enderle Group president Rob Enderle on whether BlackBerry can benefit from Apple?s security issues."

http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/37636...#sp=show-clips

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for the share. Would have never found it.

Glad to see BlackBerry gets a boost finally.

Sent from my white Q10 using Tapatalk
    09-03-14 04:23 AM
    The news is slowly changing about BlackBerry. However yesterday I saw a US news feed portray the breach as any cloud service. Then at the end they stated Apple takes its icloud security seriously. Like it is completely misleading at times. Also a month ago, when Apple and IBM, actual foes, stated they were jointly going after enterprise, well BlackBerry was dead again. Apple and Android will continue to breach and that is understandable. If you want ground up security, you cannot supply all the non essential perks that the consumer demands. That is the reality. So BlackBerry will always be behind the average consumer needs and ahead in the enterprise arena.

Posted via CB10
    I cannot disagree with u!

Posted via CB10
    09-03-14 04:28 AM
    Just heard a report about Apple security (or lack of it). They were praising BlackBerry to the skies!

"The stock will shoot up, people will start buying BBs, many people still have their BBs, Merkel has a Z10, BlackBerry should come up with some exciting new phones (they didn't mention the Passport), etc, etc, etc ".

Better than advertising!!!!
    Come on, BBRY stock!

Posted via my Q10 or Z10
    I went to a 3 day mobile device security seminar in the US in April 2013 - the important speakers were from the FBI and some US Gov Dept - at the time RIM/BlackBerry was looking in dire shape, and the federal chaps were worried as they had no alternatives (eg no other non-BlackBerry devices that had all of FIPS 140-2 certification) if BlackBerry went under. FBI chap gave example that 90%+ of his work emails would not be allowed to be received on a non-BlackBerry smartphone (eg only the non-confidential emails about stuff like the coffee machine being fixed would be allowed to be sent to an Apple/Android device)

The speakers all agreed, that they thought the best thing for BlackBerry's survival would be some massive security breaches/howlers for Apple & Android....

Fingers crossed - this is the start of some massive security breaches/howlers for Apple & Android!
    Andy_bb_king likes this.
    09-03-14 04:33 AM
    I went to a 3 day mobile device security seminar in the US in April 2013 - the important speakers were from the FBI and some US Gov Dept - at the time RIM/BlackBerry was looking in dire shape, and the federal chaps were worried as they had no alternatives (eg no other non-BlackBerry devices that had all of FIPS 140-2 certification) if BlackBerry went under. FBI chap gave example that 90%+ of his work emails would not be allowed to be received on a non-BlackBerry smartphone (eg only the non-confidential emails about stuff like the coffee machine being fixed would be allowed to be sent to an Apple/Android device)

The speakers all agreed, that they thought the best thing for BlackBerry's survival would be some massive security breaches/howlers for Apple & Android....

Fingers crossed - this is the start of some massive security breaches/howlers for Apple & Android!
    And this is why John Chen came in to the rescue because BlackBerry's survival was good for everybody. He said it himself in one of his early interviews as the new CEO.

Posted via CB10
    09-03-14 05:07 AM
    Consumers don't care about security or privacy.

This is why Apple and Android have been so successful in this market.

All consumers care about are the apps.

Posted via CB10
    I have been saying this for a while now and while nobody cares about personal security until it affects them directly, this is a perfect time for BlackBerry to capitalize on these events.

Get the z3 and Passport launched in North America with a price point that will attract new customers. They also need to have a cloud services of their own. Just my two cents worth.

Sent from my Lovely z30 on T Mobile USA (10.3.0.1052)
    09-03-14 05:19 AM
    Clip was more highlighting the strenght of BlackBerry than explaining the celbs' hack. And that's positive for BlackBerry in the Enterprise space.
    Consumers side isn't the problem here and I believe that's why BlackBerry isn't jumping on the occasion in general media (edited : as Bla1ze wrote earlier, there's as much danger than reward to do so).

About the hack itself, the celeb' case just highlighted what's been revealed last month (I guess) about the proven flaw existing in find my iPhone feature. Anyone with a little knowledge of hacker's behavior will totally ignore the celeb's case and would be much more worried in knowing how many accounts (celebs or not) have been compromized during the past month using the pithon script posted on github.

apple PR is brilliant - as usual - and instead of talking about it (the flaw), they smoke the celeb's story with a vague statement. Story will die with a bunch of free iP6s and upcomming events.

But CTOs and security admins already got this : if there was indeed a brute force attack flaw anywhere, then the iCloud security has been compromized. For sure. And this level of flaw is denoting an amateurish approach, to say the least (reminds me the "goto:error" one).
    Security is BlackBerry fundation, bottom up. And it's now spawned everywhere. That's what "we" gain from this.
    But I would go a step further and say the damage done to Apple is two fold. First, as you point out iCloud security is Amateurish to the extreme. But more importantly, when these simple and avoidable weaknesses are exploited, Apple will release vague and obtuse press statements. In other words, Apple will try to lie it's way out of the problem. That is where the real damage is being done and that is 100 percent Apple's fault. This whole event will take some shine off their upcoming launch. Certainly not a good thing.

Posted via CB10
    09-03-14 05:28 AM
    We know that for people to wake up, a crisis is required. Is this the crisis? Possibly.

What we see here are multiple points of failure here from hardware to software from a single vendor (Apple) who isn't focusing providing better basic security. Sure some user error might be involved (weak or no passwords) but that's why technology is supposed to help and automate with. Because this did happen on iCloud, Apple is accountable. A simple lock out on multiple attempts to the cloud server with an alert to the account owner would have made it that much more harder for a brute force hack. This vulnerability has been around for a while too so I'm not sure if Apple is the provider of choice if one is security and privacy minded (everyone should be).

BlackBerry's strength is providing end-to-end solutions to the organization and user. To an enterprise, risk mitigation is paramount for information security while adhering to privacy laws especially when handling client information. For government, the same but for handling citizen and corporate entity information. I've been saying for a while that too many hands in the pot within an end-to-end solution is a recipe for disaster especially with new players in the industry. To move away from BlackBerry is an unwise move to make.

So I say go ahead and use this breach of security and privacy incident to bring people on board with BlackBerry and ammo for the BlackBerry naysayers. Now is the perfect time to say "I told you so.".

Posted via CB10
    09-03-14 05:47 AM
    Sooooo...... As per request. I encrypted my device, set my camera to store images on device vs. my media card which it was set to, took a photo and Bam! Instantly uploaded to Dropbox totally unencrypted.

Lesson learned: Even with my device encrypted, if I was taking nudies they'd still be uploaded to Dropbox from my BlackBerry and therefore, still susceptible to a Dropbox hack.
    This iss why BlackBerry need their OWN cloud. One with consumer and security in mind.

I think they should buy tresorit. While they at it buy proton mail too.

Charge consumers a yearly or monthly fee or whatever.

It'll be worth it.

Posted via CB10
    09-03-14 05:54 AM
237 ... 34567 ...