I just had a look at parental contol and I just noticed this, BB now has a built in call blocker.
    Superfly_FR and AntL85 like this.
    06-06-12 12:10 PM
    Cool beans.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    06-06-12 03:45 PM
    Yeah. Android has had this feature since forever. You can auto reject unknown number calls or create your own autoreject lists. You can also make your phone send a text message to rejected calls automatically. You can also bar international calls, etc.

Pretty handy feature. I use it at times when I don't want to be distracted by certain individuals.
    06-06-12 04:15 PM
    Now...any idea on how to unblock?

I should've figured that out first. Hahaha.
    06-06-12 04:27 PM
    Yeah. Android has had this feature since forever. You can auto reject unknown number calls or create your own autoreject lists. You can also make your phone send a text message to rejected calls automatically. You can also bar international calls, etc.

Pretty handy feature. I use it at times when I don't want to be distracted by certain individuals.
    Built in or app?
    06-06-12 04:28 PM
    i know, certain individuals can be so annoying sometimes!! but personally i thinks its kinda nazi-style to block people, better to tell them "stop f*cking calling me"

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    06-06-12 04:28 PM
    i know, certain individuals can be so annoying sometimes!! but personally i thinks its kinda nazi-style to block people, better to tell them "stop f*cking calling me"

That doesn't work with telemarketers unfortunately, you have to block them or they keep calling.
    kennyliu likes this.
    06-06-12 04:35 PM
    Built in or app?
    Built in, but it doesn't give the option to only select incoming calls from contacts. You have to manually enter the numbers you want blocked.

ETA: Apparently Samsung devices *do* allow you to select to block calls from non-contacts, but my HTC device doesn't give this option.
    Last edited by pantlesspenguin; 06-06-12 at 04:44 PM.
    kennyliu likes this.
    06-06-12 04:39 PM
    Great. "Android had this feature forever" /said in a sniveling, whiny voice. You know what else Android had forever? Data mining of all your personal information.

Thanks for passing this along.
    Ben1232 likes this.
    06-06-12 04:46 PM
    Great. "Android had this feature forever" /said in a sniveling, whiny voice. You know what else Android had forever? Data mining of all your personal information.

Lol yeah, and depending on how far you want to look back, BlackBerry had a lot of features before Android even existed.
    06-06-12 04:56 PM
    Lol yeah, and depending on how far you want to look back, BlackBerry had a lot of features before Android even existed.
    Blackberry was around like 8 or 9 years before Android even existed. I would hope they'd have features first!
    kennyliu likes this.
    06-06-12 05:05 PM
    The problem with this BB feature is that you will not receive any calls if the person isn't in your contacts.

I use Call Blocker Professional and it works great. I've been getting a lot of calls lately from unknown callers and CBP blocks all of them.
    06-06-12 05:36 PM
    That doesn't work with telemarketers unfortunately, you have to block them or they keep calling.

What THEY are for is if you have a lot of built up frustration you can let it out on them
    Or if you have some spare time you can pretend to be really interested and ask tons of questions, and after 30 minutes of them telling and you asking you just hang up. Do this enough of times and they might even stop calling you!

06-06-12 08:42 PM

Thanks. If I was too concerned about privacy policies by Google (and yes, you are mixing up OS functionality and privacy policies) and was OK with phones that lack features, I'd go with a feature phone like an S40-based Nokia. Same deal.
    Last edited by kennyliu; 06-06-12 at 09:21 PM.
    06-06-12 09:18 PM

Thanks. I was actually going to ask if android had this feature. Too bad theres not any websites completely dedicated to android to find that information on.
    06-06-12 11:23 PM
    Built in or app?
    Android 4.0.3, HTC Sense 3.6

Blanket Call Barring Settings:

Block Calls from a Specific Contact in People App:

Both obviously built-in.

Also I think you can do this for some carriers from their website if you log into your account. Obviously I cannot vouch for all of them, especially in other countries :P
    06-07-12 12:35 AM
    Android 4.0.3, HTC Sense 3.6

Blanket Call Barring Settings:

Click to view quoted image

Block Calls from a Specific Contact in People App:

Click to view quoted image

Both obviously built-in.

Also I think you can do this for some carriers from their website if you log into your account. Obviously I cannot vouch for all of them, especially in other countries :P
    And both obviously not the same thing, ALL phones have those call barring settings, since I can remember, they've always been there.

And how is blocking an existing contact the same as blocking ALL numbers that are NOT in your contacts.

Jumped the gun there my friend.
    06-07-12 12:52 AM
    Here is what it looks like on my Gingerbreaded Samsung:

Last edited by kennyliu; 06-07-12 at 01:16 AM.
    06-07-12 01:03 AM
    And both obviously not the same thing, ALL phones have those call barring settings, since I can remember, they've always been there.

And how is blocking an existing contact the same as blocking ALL numbers that are NOT in your contacts.

Jumped the gun there my friend.
    See my post above.
    06-07-12 01:04 AM
    See my post above.
    For a start stop showing me the call barring setting, I think even my first mobilr phone in 1996-1997 had them.

And again, still not the same thing, blocking unknown numbers and creating your own list is NOT the same as blocking ALL numbers not in your Address Book.
    06-07-12 01:14 AM
    For a start stop showing me the call barring setting, I think even my first mobilr phone in 1996-1997 had them.

And again, still not the same thing, blocking unknown numbers and creating your own list is NOT the same as blocking ALL numbers not in your Address Book.
    1) None of my screenshots show call barring settings

2) Also, you probably can't read the word "Unknown" in the last screenshot. That's exactly for blocking ALL numbers not in your Address Book.

Hence, Android can block all non-contact numbers PLUS block specific numbers. And this has been available forever. I am sorry you discovered a feature and had to learn that it is standard on a different platform.
    Last edited by kennyliu; 06-07-12 at 01:24 AM.
    06-07-12 01:20 AM
    That is an awesome find! Wonder if it is on my Curve?
    06-07-12 01:23 AM
    1) None of my screenshots show call barring settings.

2) Also, you probably can't read the word "Unknown" in the last screenshot. That's exactly for blocking ALL numbers not in your Address Book.

Hence, Android can block all non-contact numbers PLUS block specific numbers. And this has been available forever. I am sorry you discovered a feature and had to learn that it is standard on a different platforms.
    I believe you'll find you're wrong, Unknown numbers are numbers with a hidden caller ID, not numbers not storred in your contacts.
    06-07-12 01:23 AM
    That is an awesome find! Wonder if it is on my Curve?
    If you have 7.1 you should have it
    06-07-12 01:34 AM
    I believe you'll find you're wrong, Unknown numbers are numbers with a hidden caller ID, not numbers not storred in your contacts.
    True that.

I use this app, which is more capable anyway:

06-07-12 01:38 AM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD