View Poll Results: would you wait in line for a phone?

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

7 8.64%
  • no

66 81.48%
  • depends on the device

8 9.88%
    While many of you claim you would never do it there in lies the problem with RIM. There has never been a need to do it. It's not like RIM sells out of their phones upon release. If they ever generated enough hype around a launch of one of their devices like Apple does then it might be a different story. Until then we can all casually walk into carrier stores and pick up our BB phones without having the slightest of problems.

It happened in the past with the first Storm.
    09-23-12 02:35 PM
    It happened in the past with the first Storm.
    That is a bit of a stretch. There were not lines even close to what Apple sees and I walke into a Verizon store and there was no one waiting to get one. There may have been 1 or 2 people somewhere but there weren't "lines" formed for it.
    09-23-12 06:22 PM
    That is a bit of a stretch. There were not lines even close to what Apple sees and I walke into a Verizon store and there was no one waiting to get one. There may have been 1 or 2 people somewhere but there weren't "lines" formed for it.
    I wasn't really trying to compare the two, I was just stating that there was a time that a BB user would stand in line for a new release.
    09-23-12 08:19 PM
    I wouldn't do it for a phone, i did it a couple of times for Air Jordan retro shoes but I had my reasons, in new York if you don't get the shoes on release date at the release hour you will end up paying double or triple the price the next day for them.
    09-23-12 09:03 PM
    I wouldn't do it for a phone, i did it a couple of times for Air Jordan retro shoes but I had my reasons, in new York if you don't get the shoes on release date at the release hour you will end up paying double or triple the price the next day for them.
    Why not just wait until the supply catches up?
    09-23-12 09:05 PM
    Why not just wait until the supply catches up?
    Thr supply never catches up in retro jordans
    09-23-12 09:06 PM
    No, it's just a phone. No matter how amazing it might be it will remain to be just a phone. At least for now.
    On the other hand I must say: I love camping.
    09-23-12 09:09 PM
    Honest question.

I was watching some of the interviews with people in line for the iPhone and some of them had been there for a week or more. Adults not teenagers.

How do so many people not have to work or go to school ...... or something , anything?

Edit. Spelling
    So I interviewed those people who were there for a week or more. Two types: fame whores/people trying to get media attention and flat out crazy people. At least at the 5th Ave Apple Store in NYC.

I got in line at 2:30am and got my phone around 8:15. I did it on part because of work (I'm a reporter) and in part because my attempt to switch carrier locked me out of getting a phone for two weeks and and for work, I really can't wait that long (plus my boss got our one review unit).

Look, most of the people near me in line got in around midnight. There was free food, free Wi-Fi and as one girl said - the one chance we have in this day and age to interact with strangers in New York City.

It's not for everyone. It's like concert tickets or going to a midnight showing of a big movie (where I've had to wait up to three hours in advance to see midnight premieres before).

It's stupid but it is also fun for some. This was my first outdoor wait and while I can't recommend it to everyone, it was way better than I expected, especially with the Wi-Fi.
    09-23-12 09:56 PM
    So I interviewed those people who were there for a week or more. Two types: fame whores/people trying to get media attention and flat out crazy people. At least at the 5th Ave Apple Store in NYC.

I got in line at 2:30am and got my phone around 8:15. I did it on part because of work (I'm a reporter) and in part because my attempt to switch carrier locked me out of getting a phone for two weeks and and for work, I really can't wait that long (plus my boss got our one review unit).

Look, most of the people near me in line got in around midnight. There was free food, free Wi-Fi and as one girl said - the one chance we have in this day and age to interact with strangers in New York City.

It's not for everyone. It's like concert tickets or going to a midnight showing of a big movie (where I've had to wait up to three hours in advance to see midnight premieres before).

It's stupid but it is also fun for some. This was my first outdoor wait and while I can't recommend it to everyone, it was way better than I expected, especially with the Wi-Fi.
    Good point. People wait in line for other things (tickets, Black Friday deals) so I really don't think it's that insane.
    09-23-12 11:02 PM
    Why not? I waited I line last year for a new tv for Black Friday and had an absolute blast. It was fun. Besides... Who am I to judge? I will my judgement for politics.
    09-23-12 11:17 PM
    no. I would never wait for any electronic device. I like gadgets a lot but this iphone line up waiting thing is just idiotic. this is just a phone after all. There ARE more important things in life then a phone. But kudos to Apple marketing team. This is art to brainwash so many people to doing all this waiting thing.
    09-23-12 11:23 PM
    It wasn't so much that I was crazy for the game right then, but it was a good time out there with other fans, who I would normally only interact with online, or who I wouldn't have met at all. Anything can be a good time if you make it one.
    THIS x10! Thanks
    09-23-12 11:35 PM
    No.

No commercial product is worth that kind of attention. Not that I've never bought anything on the first day. I did that a lot back in the days of new vinyl record releases, but even then, I never waited in a line.
    09-23-12 11:35 PM

Wow! Thank you for such a great response!
    09-23-12 11:37 PM
    It really depends on where you were. I remember seeing on the news people who were waiting in lines to get the first storm in some parts of the country where at some stores, no one was in line.

Here are a couple of stories I found doing a quick search
    Lines out door, around corner for BlackBerry Storm | ZDNet

And

Customers line up for new BlackBerry Storm | Mobile - CNET News

Hasn't happened lately but there was a time when people would freeze in line to get the latest BB phone just like people did Friday
    09-23-12 11:41 PM
    It really depends on where you were. I remember seeing on the news people who were waiting in lines to get the first storm in some parts of the country where at some stores, no one was in line.

Here are a couple of stories I found doing a quick search

Lines out door, around corner for BlackBerry Storm | ZDNet

And

Customers line up for new BlackBerry Storm | Mobile - CNET News

Hasn't happened lately but there was a time when people would freeze in line to get the latest BB phone just like people did Friday

Oh I'm not saying people just for iphones. I mean a phone in general.

Not trying to be 1 sided here. Lol

Sent from my Bold using Tapatalk
    09-27-12 04:45 PM
166 ... 567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD