Long story short, I convinced someone to buy a Playbook at Best Buy today, which I posted about here. Two replies to this thread (which have been removed) said what I did was creepy. I dont see what was creepy about this.... I just gave someone a tour of the Playbook.

So my question is, would you find it creepy if someone were to come up to you and tell you about a product (and give you a tour of it) that you were looking at?
    stevepar and mud314 like this.
    12-28-11 12:29 AM
    I wouldn't give them a tour, but I have told a few people about different products if I've had personal experience with the product. Kinda like small talk, only helpful.

In most cases, when I go to buy something, I usually know more about it than the person selling it to me. Thanks to the Internet, I do a lot of research before hand, especially big ticket items. I never take word of mouth or advice from friends alone because, as you can see from these forums for example, there are a lot of people who speak about things they don't really know about or have never even used.

I'm also not 100% loyal to any one brand just because I bought something in the past from them that worked great.

War Is All We Know
    12-28-11 12:40 AM
    Not creepy at all.

Are the days of being a friendly passer-by or a good samaritan really gone?

I really feel sorry for the people who thought what you did was creepy. Just goes to show that they themselves lack the social skill to offer help to someone or they just haven't been given that kind of attention from somebody before.

I'm glad you gave them a full tour. If you were going to help them out, might as well do all you could, right?

As I've always said, "There are no strangers, just friends I haven't met yet."
    12-28-11 12:40 AM
    Friendly advice is fine. Giving someone a tour of an item at a store you don't work at, is, a little awkward.

Kinda like if you were at a dealership and gave someone a tour of a new pickup, even though you didn't work there or weren't a salesman.

Just my opinion.

War Is All We Know
    12-28-11 12:43 AM
    Friendly advice is fine. Giving someone a tour of an item at a store you don't work at, is, a little awkward.

Kinda like if you were at a dealership and gave someone a tour of a new pickup, even though you didn't work there or weren't a salesman.

Just my opinion.

War Is All We Know
    It may be wierd, but then again, normal is whatever we make it.

And if getting the "extra-mile" service from a complete stranger isn't normal, then well, I feel sorry for you. Just kidding

But seriously, I don't find it one bit weird, probably because I do the same thing when I'm out and about. Then again, that's probably a reason why I also run into strangers when I'm out and about who are willing to go out of the "norm" to help me if I need something. Of course, I wouldn't do anything the person didn't want me to. And there has been a couple of times I did run into a stranger on the car dealership lot and informed them on things they didn't know about (which in turn made them change their mind and the dealer lost the sale), and this was while me and this "stranger" were taking turns sitting in the car.
    Last edited by jranciano; 12-28-11 at 12:50 AM.
    maddie1128 likes this.
    12-28-11 12:46 AM
    Long story short, I convinced someone to buy a Playbook at Best Buy today, which I posted about here. Two replies to this thread (which have been removed) said what I did was creepy. I dont see what was creepy about this.... I just gave someone a tour of the Playbook.

So my question is, would you find it creepy if someone were to come up to you and tell you about a product (and give you a tour of it) that you were looking at?
    that isn't creepy at all, pretty cool of you actually

but... what would have been real creepy, was if you were wearing a leather trench coat, with bacon taped to your chest, and just a speedo on underneath, trying to show off some family reunion pictures and videos on the playbook, ummm

that would have made it creepy, otherwise, good show
    Last edited by buckwylder; 12-28-11 at 12:53 AM.
    JR A, Dugganm, maddie1128 and 4 others like this.
    12-28-11 12:51 AM
    what would jesus do? lol
    i go to buy products informed, the kid that sold me my playbook tried to talk me out of it. Here in wyoming i bought my playbook from office depot in november and it was the first one out the door
    12-28-11 12:54 AM

but... what would have been real creepy, was if you were wearing a leather trench coat, with bacon taped to your chest, and just a speedo on underneath, trying to show off some family reunion pictures and videos on the playbook, ummm

It would be creepy, but it would also be impolite if you didn't offer any of the bacon to the people around you.
    kbz1960 and dpdave like this.
    12-28-11 12:55 AM
    In most cases, when I go to buy something, I usually know more about it than the person selling it to me. Thanks to the Internet, I do a lot of research before hand, especially big ticket items. I never take word of mouth or advice from friends alone because, as you can see from these forums for example, there are a lot of people who speak about things they don't really know about or have never even used.
    Same here... When I go in to buy something, Ive done my research already and just go to pick up the item.
    12-28-11 12:55 AM
    Not creepy at all.

Im starting to wonder about that too....
    maddie1128 likes this.
    12-28-11 12:57 AM

Just my opinion.
    The only reason why I gave the person the tour of the Playbook was that he asked if he could connect it to his BB 9700. I would be surprised if any Best Buy employee would be able to actually show how the Palybook Bridge works. That is why I bridged my BB with the Playbook.
    maddie1128 likes this.
    12-28-11 01:00 AM
    It wouldnt be creepy if the person was interested in listening to you.. reading body language would be key... but I'll be honest, the reason I'm here is to get bb advice and walk throughs from strangers..
    12-28-11 01:01 AM

I kept it professional, no personal pics or videos.
    12-28-11 01:02 AM
    When I'm looking to buy a device that I'm unfamilliar with, I'd appreciate pointers from someone who is familliar with it.

That's how I got my pots (with no non-stick coating that scratches off when I use metal utensils)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-28-11 01:31 AM
    It doesn't seem creepy to me and I would imagine the detractors were merely following their agenda of disruption and negativity. I didn't see who the posts were from, but I bet I could list 5 names and they would be on it. I get a lot of questions about the PB when out in public and I'm not ashamed to answer them. I will admit to being a BlackBerry fan but my biggest emphasis is about "What do YOU see yourself doing with a tablet?"

If I see that someone is truly interested, I give them the full demo. It makes them nervous at first because the first step is to pop it out of my CaseMate Pop case. Otherwise, they think it is thicker than it is. I show them the various swipe movements, open the demo vid, the browser and a couple of apps. Show them the multitasking and how to flick an app away, multi-tabbing the browser, etc. I mention the lack of some apps but point out that most have alternatives. I pop it back in the case and point out the convenient unobtrusive size of it. Then I tell them about Bridge and how it is THE obvious choice for most BB owners and others too, depending on their usage ideas.

What's creepy is people that think we are here by accident and didn't choose the PlayBook over the competition and feel the need to point out the equivalencies of their chosen platform.
    JR A, kbz1960, Eli_B and 3 others like this.
    12-28-11 02:05 AM
    Not creepy at all.

I really feel sorry for the people who thought what you did was creepy. Just goes to show that they themselves lack the social skill to offer help to someone or they just haven't been given that kind of attention from somebody before.

I'm glad you gave them a full tour. If you were going to help them out, might as well do all you could, right?

As I've always said, "There are no strangers, just friends I haven't met yet."
    Talking to random people in public is a dying act. I personally do it but not many people like to. I also don't believe what the OP did was creepy. I have talked to people in phone stores about their devices and even tried to help with issues.
    12-28-11 04:36 AM
    Yes, it is creepy.

Use the golden rule. What would you feel if an Apple fanboi tried to convince you to buy an iproduct?
    12-28-11 06:23 AM
    I would be annoyed. I like to be left alone.
    12-28-11 06:25 AM
    Talking to random people in public is a dying act. I personally do it but not many people like to. I also don't believe what the OP did was creepy. I have talked to people in phone stores about their devices and even tried to help with issues.
    We Aussies are a fairly open and gregarious bunch though.
    12-28-11 06:35 AM
    I think the creepieness level could vary depending where you are located. In some regions or cities it might be considered extremely creepy where as in my rural area it isn't uncommon to help a stranger.

We will even go so far as to stop to help someone with car trouble on the side of the road. (gasp)
    12-28-11 06:40 AM
    Stopping to help someone in need is way different than offering unsolicited advice about an electronic gadget. Lol.

I offer people help if I feel it doesn't put me in danger and I accept help the same way.

But people opinions, especially strangers, don't usually matter to me.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 12-28-11 at 06:48 AM.
    12-28-11 06:44 AM
    If that's creepy we all better stop coming here for advice. Isn't everyone at CB in reality "strangers"? Unless you were like naked and wearing only a trenchcoat! Haha!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-28-11 06:46 AM
    I know I rarely ask for opinions here. I ask about facts. Like, which device battery lasts longer. Not which device is better. Again, that's different.
    12-28-11 06:51 AM
    Nah, thats not creepy at all. I was steered towards my first Blackberry by a stranger (she was a very pretty co-worker). We became friends because of the Blackberry, and over the years I have helped, advised and pursueded people to look at Blackberry. I even tell people about this wonderful site where information about Blackberry is in abundance
    12-28-11 06:55 AM
    Not creepy at all. To be honest I hate sale reps. They never know the answer to my questuon. No matter what the question is I get the same answer. "Hmmmm I'm not sure".
    If you can answer my question yes I'll listen and I appreciate it.
    I find myself stepping in and helping out.
    Drives my wife crazy. She doesn't understand how I can like bb devices but suggest an ios or android device.
    12-28-11 06:57 AM
119 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD