I think BlackBerry should produce a device that is a z30 on one side, and if you flip it over, it is the Q10. Problems solved. Whatever side is facing up is the active side, and combine that with a lock. Would you buy such a device? The back screen could run low energy graphics! Personalize your device, change the look, quote of the day, etc. No need for covers to personalize your device. Use it as a billboard. All kinds of uses.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Playbook007; 01-07-14 at 01:15 PM.
    01-07-14 09:39 AM
    That would certainly be a unique device. I'd have to see how it works.
    01-07-14 09:44 AM
    What?

Posted via CB10
    01-07-14 09:44 AM
    I think the "up" orientation would be problematic. For example, what if I'm lying flat on my back at night reading emails. The surface I would be using would likely be oriented down.

As an alternative to that, perhaps have a "back" cover that could very easily be flipped from one side to the other. That would also add a measure of protection to what would otherwise be a device that could be prone to getting banged and scratched quite a bit.
    01-07-14 09:46 AM
    so basically only time you would ever switch is when you need to type something? wouldn't a slider solve that problem instead of creating something you named? not to mention it woudl mean two different resolution when you switch screen
    01-07-14 11:12 AM
    so basically only time you would ever switch is when you need to type something? wouldn't a slider solve that problem instead of creating something you named? not to mention it woudl mean two different resolution when you switch screen
    Sliders add thickness and moving parts. Screen resolution can be made identical. I am not saying dimensions of the screen have to be identical to the Q10. When you type on the z30, the screen is shrunk no? Also when you use a slider, you get an unbalanced feel. I love my z30, and I want the larger screen for picture, document, browsing and video viewing. However, when banging out emails etc, I do miss my physical keypad....i just think if I could flip the device over I would have the best of all worlds.

Posted via CB10
    01-07-14 11:24 AM
    Interesting concept. Probably slider is more practical. But interesting concept, nonethless. I'd be tempted to buy it if it's reasonably priced ($500 or less) just because it'd look SO DAMN different from anything on the market!
    01-07-14 11:24 AM
    Interesting concept. Probably slider is more practical. But interesting concept, nonethless. I'd be tempted to buy it if it's reasonably priced ($500 or less) just because it'd look SO DAMN different from anything on the market!
    People would see you using it and would say...."what the hell"? also the back screen could be used for low energy displays for neat graphics. Adding flare. Change you look on the fly. No more coloured cases required....talk about a billboard!

Posted via CB10
    01-07-14 11:27 AM
    I wouldn't buy such a thing (at least not right now) as it would probably be too thick and too fragile.

But I would definitely buy a Q10 successor.

Posted via CB10
    01-07-14 11:57 AM
    I don't think this would turn into a product anyone wanted when you actually had to design and build it in reality with cost and technology limitations.
    01-07-14 11:59 AM
    I know there's a phone out there already with a screen on one side and an e-ink screen on the other, it ran droid though.
    01-07-14 12:03 PM
    I don't think this would turn into a product anyone wanted when you actually had to design and build it in reality with cost and technology limitations.
    Actually Lasardis built the NANO tech center. Part of its purpose is to explore new technologies for building materials that will allow the production of extremely small and powerful components while sipping small amounts of energy. The future holds very good abilities.

Posted via CB10
    01-07-14 12:40 PM
    If there was a slider I wouldn't be owning a z10-30 right now. If a slider does come out i know the first 2 are going to me and my wife.

Posted via CB10 on my blazing fast Z30
    Tim Heard likes this.
    01-07-14 12:51 PM
    That would certainly be a unique device. I'd have to see how it works.

Reminds me of my beloved Nokia Communicator
    I'd totally buy something like that again!

Posted via CB10
    01-07-14 12:52 PM
    I'll be close behind.

If there was a slider I wouldn't be owning a z10-30 right now. If a slider does come out i know the first 2 are going to me and my wife.

Posted via CB10 on my blazing fast Z30
    01-07-14 01:05 PM
    The way it would work I believe is self explanatory. I think the fact that the back screen could use low energy graphics defined by the user would allow personalization of the device beyond anything on the market. Iphone users, especially girls change their cases on an on going basis to make a statement. Never mind spending money on cases. Just change the back graphics. Post sayings. Personally I would like to see a mood ring type app on the back of my wife's.....lol

Posted via CB10
    01-07-14 01:10 PM
    i think op is speaking of maybe something similar to sprint's samsung upstage?

WOULD YOU buy a Z30 and Q10 offspring?-sprint_m620_review.jpg
    01-07-14 01:13 PM
    I think BlackBerry should produce a device that is a z30 on one side, and if you flip it over, it is the Q10. Problems solved. Whatever side is facing up is the active side, and combine that with a lock. Would you buy such a device?

Posted via CB10
    That sounds like it would be big and ugly. I'd rather have two separate devices. I don't think even BlackBerry could make this device attractive. Apps would be all weird looking, deciding which side of the device to use. What side do you put the phone down on? Too many parts...if one part malfunctions, the whole unit would have to be replaced.

No thanks.
    01-07-14 01:18 PM
    Is my z30 ugly...no....is the q10 ugly...no. of course the design has to be pleasing and definitely not bulky. But with current technology and Lasardis' work at the nano center, smaller more powerful circuitry is the future. Also, I edited the post to include the back screen to be an active personalization screen, making it more pleasing. Anyhow it would be one device with the best of both worlds.

Posted via CB10
    01-07-14 01:46 PM
    I would rather have a bluetooth keyboard as an accessory, rather than have a larger phone.
    01-07-14 01:52 PM
    Interesting... I might buy such a device actually.

Posted via CB10
    01-07-14 05:02 PM
    Really foolish idea I'm sorry
    01-07-14 06:30 PM
    Sliders add thickness and moving parts.
    People want 5 and 6 inch screens, but god help us if the device was thick enough to be a slider.
    01-07-14 06:38 PM
    Too nerdy imho.
    And surely too heavy ! 2 screens, the battery would suffer too much, would have to be bigger... heavier again...
    Fingers crossed for a Q30 with at least 4.5" screen (with Z30 width)

Posted via CB10
    01-07-14 07:29 PM