One of the huge problems the BlackBerry Storm had was the clicking feature...it was an amazing idea but since it only clicked down in four points, it was not the best.
    Now it's some years later...
    What about a storm with a sort of flexible screen that could click in? There would be a grid pattern of points that the screen could be forced downward...instead of having one on each corner. This way, you could press anywhere on the screen and get the same amount of "click " amount.
    Would it work? Would it be practical in today's market?

I known just posted a couple minutes ago about something else but this idea came to me right after I submitted my other one
    05-25-12 02:54 PM
    I think RIM should never use the Storm name again, solely for marketing.

They want to be the best typing phone, and for their touchscreens, I think they're going in the right direction.

Kind of like Ford bringing back the Maverick.....
    howarmat and Premium1 like this.
    05-25-12 03:33 PM
    I played with a Storm some years back & I think the
    clicking screen was completely stupid to begin with.
    Leave it in the past, & act like it neeeever happened lol.
    05-25-12 03:44 PM
    I personally like the storm. I still use a storm 2 occasionally. The click screen was actually a good idea in theory, separate selection from action (typing should have been purely touch though). I'm hoping they revisit the idea, at least in their labs.

I played with a Storm some years back & I think the
    clicking screen was completely stupid to begin with.
    Leave it in the past, & act like it neeeever happened lol.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    glassofpinot likes this.
    05-25-12 04:46 PM
    I actually liked the storms and the clicks, still have the storm 2 actually but havent fired it up in a month or so. I fully agree with killing the name and starting new though as there is too much negative connotations around it.
    glassofpinot likes this.
    05-25-12 04:54 PM
    I am with howarmat. I actually liked my Storm2. Unfortunately, the screen has quit working and I am now using an old Tour (I do not like the keyboard.) Wish someone would give me a Storm2 to hold me over till the new BB10 phones come out.
    05-25-12 05:01 PM
    In terms of design, no the clicking screen would not work in todays market unless it kept all the functionality of a regular screen like pinch to zoom and such.

The storm name however should have been kept for the 9860 i think that was a big missed opportunity as the name was out there and with the storm 2 especially there were a lot of people with good ownership experiences that i think would have made the jump.

Using the Torch name to me was really dumb imo.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    Mrluky likes this.
    05-25-12 05:36 PM
    Okay, here's my observation:

Storm (9530) was an attempt to unseat the iPhone (just like EVERY OTHER TOUCHSCREEN in 2008) and needed a gimmick to separate it from other devices. SurePress was that gimmick. Unfortunately, it was a polarizing gimmick.

On the one hand, it was a great bridge for those who wouldn't use a touchscreen because they felt uncomfortable touching and not getting the feedback they were used to (ME!) from keys. On the other hand, the original design was so far from responsive it was painful for some to use.

The Storm 2 (9550) is what should have been released as the original Storm, because it was everything the first one lacked. Still, SurePress was polarizing: love it or hate it.

The rumors of the Storm 3 (which was released as the Torch 9850/60) started a flame "war" over the name of the device. Seeing the performance and response to the Storm name, RIM made a good choice releasing it as a Torch, since the Torch 9800 had a much better reception.

I like SurePress, but I can understand why using it in another phone would be yet another nail in the coffin for BlackBerry.
    05-26-12 07:33 PM
    The storm was such a fail I think RIM needs to stay far away from the storm name. Plus the whole clicking thing made it much more difficult and required more of a hard press. I think they should just leave all of that by the wayside.
    05-26-12 08:28 PM
    Storm was replaced with Torch 9860.
    05-27-12 09:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD