Sup y'all
    So I've been PM-ing some of the members here for their opinions, but since going through this forum today, I thought I'd could use some help in answering these noob-like questions AND some help on deciding WHICH BB

WARNING: LOTS OF ... STUPID DESCRIPTIONS/QUESTIONS WILL BE ASKED, PLEASE BE PATIENT~

1.1 - So here's my story. I have a friend ... okay maybe not friends anymore that jacked my old BB Bold 9700. So I went back to my back-up phone, it's a Samsung slide/touch with 8MP. So you can sort of relate which two I'm planning to decide on. Either the 9780/9800.
    What attracts me towards the 9780 is it's originality, and since I've used a BOLD before, I thought, I should pretty stick with a "BOLD".
    What attracts me towards the 9800 is it's huge screen for GPS and Browsing.
    I will be texting and BBMing a lot, also surfing, and watching videos.

1.2 - Now my relative that's planning to purchase the phone for me is planning on getting me the 9800. Okay. But here comes my worries. He's from Hong Kong, and he plans to buy it for me in Hong Kong. I'm from Vancouver (Canada). I'm still using the Rogers BB plan I used with my old BB. Now ... once I put in my Rogers Sim card, should I be ready and set to go? Will there be any problems/glitches?

1.3 - If I went to Rogers/T-Booth to get some help with automatically updating to the new official 0.448(?) system, should that be no problem? Or should I just stick with doing everything on my own comp?

1.4 - What do/should I make sure my relative does to guarantee that I won't have to send the phone back to Hong Kong to get some warranty or getting it fixed? Pre-cautions?

2. NOOB QUESTIONS
    2.1 - What differences do you see when updating your OS?
    2.2 - What's better, 0.448? or 0.450? I'm a bit sketched on the 0.480/0.486 (whichever one it is out there)
    2.3 - If I went with the Torch, is it true that if I am part of many "groups" on BBM, it will lag for sure? Or will that be different once I update my OS ?
    2.4 - Is there a limit on BBM contacts?

I'd appreciate it if you could reply to my questions, I know it'll be tough....
    Sorry for being such a noob. I don't like noobs either, but I'm pretty sure there's nice people out there

VERY MUCH THANKS !

EDIT 1:
    1. Why does it seem like battery pulls are a good thing? :/
    2. What are some of the ways to try to reset and fix a problem?
    3. ANY Blackberry tracking/locator apps so when it gets stolen it is possible to recover may be from a theft/lost?

AFTER ALL COMMENTS AND SUCH I WILL NOTIFY YOU GUYS WHEN I GET THE PHONE, AND THANKS FOR THE HELP!
    (Still waiting for 1st reply ...) :/
    Last edited by foker; 03-16-11 at 02:40 AM. Reason: Adding info & do not want to spam post.
    03-16-11 02:26 AM
    What is a battery pull??
    03-16-11 07:21 AM
    What is a battery pull??
    Seriously...did you just ask that? Just kidding.

To the OP:

The 9780 is really not original, if follows the same form factor as the 9700, with double the memory, the original Bold was the 9000 and is quite larger than the 9700/9780 series.

Now, if your relative buys the device in China, you need to make sure of a few things, first that it's unlock if it's presently locked to a Chinese carrier. Second, you need to know if it was lock what are the 2G/3G bands or frequencies? This is important because it can affect the coverage you will get in Canada. They need to be the same frequencies or you may only get 2G service.

Simply putting your SIM card into a device will not make that device useable on another network. You will need to register the device on the new carrier network by registering the host routing table, then log into your carriers BIS and have the proper service books sent to the device, and ensure you have a blackberry data plan provisioned on your acount.

Rogers, T-Booth or any other carrier will not offer technical support for a deviece that is not theirs. Hence, you're on your own.

As far as OS upgrades, you can always update the device OS using the AppLoader as long as the OS is for that specific device and you delete the vendor.xml file before installing on your BB.

2. NOOB QUESTIONS
    2.1 - What differences do you see when updating your OS? Performance improvements.
    2.2 - What's better, 0.448? or 0.450? I'm a bit sketched on the 0.480/0.486 (whichever one it is out there) This is objective, some prefer one OS to the other for various reasons.

2.3 - If I went with the Torch, is it true that if I am part of many "groups" on BBM, it will lag for sure? Or will that be different once I update my OS? No, not true.

2.4 - Is there a limit on BBM contacts? I think its pretty much a many as you want.

I'd appreciate it if you could reply to my questions, I know it'll be tough....
    Sorry for being such a noob. I don't like noobs either, but I'm pretty sure there's nice people out there We were all noobs at one time, no worries.

VERY MUCH THANKS !

1. Why does it seem like battery pulls are a good thing? With newer devices like the 9780, 9800 battery pulls are not needed like they were with older devices. I only do battery pulls when installing a new OS, application or theme. Or when deleting an application or theme.
    2. What are some of the ways to try to reset and fix a problem? Depends on the problem and error message if any.
    3. ANY Blackberry tracking/locator apps so when it gets stolen it is possible to recover may be from a theft/lost? Blackberry Protect, SmrtGuard, Lookout Mobile.

Hope this helps, please ask if you have more questions.
    foker, pkcable, Reed McLay and 1 others like this.
    03-16-11 07:47 AM
    Dog is the man.
    03-16-11 08:34 AM
    Dog is the man.
    I second that emotion!
    03-16-11 11:44 AM
    Simply putting your SIM card into a device will not make that device useable on another network. You will need to register the device on the new carrier network by registering the host routing table, then log into your carriers BIS and have the proper service books sent to the device, and ensure you have a blackberry data plan provisioned on your acount.

Rogers, T-Booth or any other carrier will not offer technical support for a deviece that is not theirs. Hence, you're on your own.
    Thanks a lot for your help, soo help am I going to do this myself :P
    I remember a Roger rep once told me that once I put my sim in the phone i'll be fine .... hmmmm Rogers

PS; anyone in Vancouver wanna help me out with this? I'm too noob for this :P
    03-16-11 11:52 AM
    2.2 - What's better, 0.448? or 0.450? I'm a bit sketched on the 0.480/0.486 (whichever one it is out there)

I'm using .450 and it's a dream. I've read some scary things about .486 (plus my Norton Antivirus flagged the download), so I'm sticking to .450 since I've had no issues with it.
    03-16-11 02:32 PM
    I'd just use .486.
    03-16-11 02:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD