So I was looking at the in process list for FIPS approval today:

http://csrc.nist.gov/groups/STM/cmvp...0InProcess.pdf

and noticed that Apple has finally gotten iOS out of IUT state, which it has been in since they tried to get it approved probably 3 years ago, and into the "Review Pending" state. They actually have two iOS kernels in pending, my guess is a 5.X and 6.X version. I'm pretty sure that this means we will see iOS FIPS approved by October, November at the latest, based on my experience with the FIPS process.

So what do you think this would mean for RIM if iOS is FIPS approved before BB10 is even available? Personally I think you will see the floodgates at the US Federal Government open up for iOS devices, and would probably start the rapid demise of BES installs at Federal agencies and possible even BYOD iPhones into the Federal space. Blackberry phones being FIPS approved and iOS not being FIPS approved has been about the only thing keeping iOS and Android from making serious in-roads in the US Federal Government. RIM better get its Federal sales force out in droves showing off BB10 before release IMHO.
    08-15-12 08:08 PM
    I'm not too sure we would see a mass exodus to Apple once iOS gets the certification. Remember, the BYOD model isn't exactly the optimal one to use in certain agencies since they can't control an employee's entire device. Also keep in mind that several federal agencies and military divisions prohibit cameras and recording capabilities on their employees' phones, which is why RIM still makes handhelds without cameras in them.

Either way, the federal government (at least in the US) is slow to adopt anything so if it does make an impact, I'm sure BB10 will be close to launching or already released by the time they decide to do anything.
    08-15-12 09:03 PM
    Yes, it does hurt. I don't see a mass exodus either, but RIM does not need its Enterprise customers tempted. Even a little.

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    08-15-12 09:11 PM
    I should add some specific Android tablets and phones have been FIPS certified for a while.

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    08-15-12 09:12 PM
    Not necessarily, as long as BB10 gets FIPS certified it's fine.

iOS is on version 6 right now. It took them 6 versions to get certified. Not a blow at all. And if it does get FIPS certified, then I think there's no more jailbreaking.
    08-16-12 12:23 AM

Either way, the federal government (at least in the US) is slow to adopt anything so if it does make an impact, I'm sure BB10 will be close to launching or already released by the time they decide to do anything.

I thought the US army were working on their own secure version of android?
    08-16-12 02:38 AM
    NSA is working on secure Android but it is a very long and very expensive process. IOS getting FIPS doesn't necessarily get it approved for government use, FIPS is just supposed to be the baseline. BB10 is based off of the PlayBook OS, which is already FIPS validated 140-2, and I suspect BB10 will ride that and get its approval very quickly.
    00stryder likes this.
    08-16-12 04:54 AM
    NSA is working on secure Android but it is a very long and very expensive process. IOS getting FIPS doesn't necessarily get it approved for government use, FIPS is just supposed to be the baseline. BB10 is based off of the PlayBook OS, which is already FIPS validated 140-2, and I suspect BB10 will ride that and get its approval very quickly.
    I should also add that BlackBerry has had talks on getting approved for classified information for quite some time. Not sure where they are in the process (if anywhere past that), but I know its at least been a conversation.
    08-16-12 04:56 AM
    The point is "what changes iOs 6.x can state to gain FIPS" ?
    I'm not familiar with this kind of certification, but usually, long time frames for certification means "oh wait, we know we're not really ready yet, so hold the process, we don't want to be rejected".
    "Review pending" means to me that they feel they can give a try, not that they're 100% compliant ... so let's wait until they get a FIPS stamp, and then let's look at its level ...

In security environment, newcomers are only granted as "capable", not "bullet proof". Having the certification is mandatory, yes, but not sufficient as-is.

In a marketing perspective, APPL getting this cert., will result in an implicit validation of RIM superiority ... years before the first ixxx even hit the street. This must be fine-tuned in communication but can also turn as an advantage.
    madman0141 likes this.
    08-16-12 05:19 AM
    iOS6 brought device level device key encryption I thought, which wasn't available previously which could be one step to gaining FIPS

I don't think that just the devices getting FIPS will change a whole lot, how do they get managed? what management software with iOS gives even fractional control that BlackBerry with BES gives?

iOS with no App Store, no iCloud, no Siri, since all 3 can't gain security clearance, how useful will the devices be in comparison to the BlackBerry devices?

BB10 wont be far off FIPS approval once it receives carrier approval, RIM's been building from the ground up with that in mind, it isn't an afterthought like iOS.
    08-16-12 06:13 AM
    Just so you are aware, RIM released this on the BizBlog last month. The PlayBook, running OS 2 is already FIPS 140-2 validated. (BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.0 and BlackBerry Device Service Receive FIPS 140-2 Certification �Inside BlackBerry for Business Blog)

Also, since we are talking the NIST process, NIST.gov - Computer Security Division - Computer Security Resource Center
    is the link to the steps for the validation. In Review means they have finally submitted proper paperwork for validation, they still have to go through the testing etc.

And of course
    DISCLAIMER: The Cryptographic Module Validation Program (CMVP) FIPS 140-1 and FIPS 140-2 Modules In Process List is provided for information purposes only. Participation on the list is voluntary and is a joint decision by the vendor and Cryptographic Security and Testing (CST) laboratory. Modules are listed alphabetically by name. Blank entries indicate modules in process but joint decision made not to post. Posting on the list does not imply guarantee of final FIPS 140-1 or FIPS 140-2 validation.
    One last thing, looking at the OP's attached document, it doesnt state whether it is FIPS 140-1 or 140-2 in process for Apple. This actually makes a significant difference as 140-2 is generally considered the minimum to play in Government.
    Last edited by Sith_Apprentice; 08-16-12 at 06:32 AM.
    08-16-12 06:28 AM
    "Review pending" means to me that they feel they can give a try, not that they're 100% compliant ... so let's wait until they get a FIPS stamp, and then let's look at its level ...

In security environment, newcomers are only granted as "capable", not "bullet proof". Having the certification is mandatory, yes, but not sufficient as-is.
    Testing is actually done by qualified 3rd party shops now that specialize in FIPS approval. The vendor gives the product to them, they test to make sure they will pass and them submit to NIST and usher them through the NIST process. Lucrative little business. Do some things get turned back? Sure, but they are usually are resubmitted very quickly because it is usually some small thing.

Blackberry has another Tablet Crypto Kernel in now too, which if I had to guess will be the BB10 kernel, and RIM has cleverly worded the policies to be generic enough where any devices running and ARM processor, the right OS, and Crypto Kernel is FIPS approved.
    Last edited by lnichols; 08-16-12 at 09:00 AM.
    08-16-12 08:56 AM
    RIM actually does this for each major revision of the OS, but with BB10 the crypto kernel can be something different. It doesnt have to be revalidated with each OS (as in BB OS for each major revision (4/5/6/7/etc), but can instead be validated once and the OS pieces around it can change, leaving the crypto kernel the same.
    08-16-12 09:05 AM
    One last thing, looking at the OP's attached document, it doesnt state whether it is FIPS 140-1 or 140-2 in process for Apple. This actually makes a significant difference as 140-2 is generally considered the minimum to play in Government.
    From memory I'm pretty sure it must be FIPS 140-2 because 140-1 was superseded several years ago. Existing 140-1 approvals were grandfathered but all new entries must be to 140-2 protocols.
    08-16-12 02:24 PM
    This thread prompted me to look closer at Apple security, and the announcements reported last year from Black Hat.
    Apple has built encryption based on the 256-bit Advanced Encryption standard and the Secure Hash Algorithm into its processors. De Atley said neither Apple nor the manufacturers know the unique identifier, a safeguard he says makes sure the user has maximum protection. Apple maintains a global key as a top control point.

Basically, as is already known, apps from the Apple App Store will not run on users' iOS devices unless they're signed by Apple. Third-party developers can be issued a public-key certificate from Apple to make apps that run on Apple iOS. To build enterprise apps, developers can enroll in the iOS Developer Enterprise program. Each will find they receive an "Enterprise Provisioning profile" that is installed on devices they use. This provisioning profile expires annually, said De Atley.

The end result keeps Apple firmly in control over what's going on in apps running on its devices, a fact that enterprises may find beneficial or not.
    So, it sounds like a move to crypto signed modules and verification before the software will load. That could bring the end of jailbreaking, but more worrying is the mention of limited validity for enterprise signing keys. As a manager and owner it is MY phone, MY application, and I demand I will approve business apps, and what devices are allowed to use them. Apple seems to be going back to the bad old ways of revenue generation
    08-16-12 02:38 PM
    ...Snip... So, it sounds like a move to crypto signed modules and verification before the software will load. That could bring the end of jailbreaking, but more worrying is the mention of limited validity for enterprise signing keys. As a manager and owner it is MY phone, MY application, and I demand I will approve business apps, and what devices are allowed to use them. Apple seems to be going back to the bad old ways of revenue generation
    No end to jailbreaking because jailbreaks use a combination of processor and kernel exploits. Jailbreak teams already possess plenty of kernel exploits, and all beta versions of iOS 6 have already been compromised. IMHO, cracking the new processor is a when, not an if.

Is the iPhone 4S currently FIPS 140-2 compliant? Probably yes, according to Jonathan Zdziarski. Would you want to store confidential data on an iPhone? Look at the kinds of iOS exploits currently being taught in seminars:
    • How to manipulate the runtime of applications on a target device to assist in law enforcement investigations involving loss-of-life or national security, when all other forensic techniques fail.

• Work with classroom examples of malware to see how an attacker can transparently infect and steal application data, surveil user activity, and access encrypted documents in the background of a device while being used by an unsuspecting user.

• Identify common vulnerabilities in real-world applications and how attackers can take advantage of these through a number of attack techniques to break through security, hijack sessions, and steal user data.

• Manipulate the runtime environment of running applications to access data, bypass program logic and override many security mechanisms.

• Techniques attackers use to infect applications with malware through code injection.

• Discover how attackers defeat iOS keychain, file system, and data-protection encryption to steal encryption keys, passwords, and infect a device without necessarily breaking the passphrase.

• Attack processes to inject code and manipulate the runtime environment of Objective-C application, in many cases without detection.

• Redirect networking traffic and intercept SSL encrypted traffic.
    http://hacking-arlington.eventbrite.com/
    Last edited by hornlovah; 08-16-12 at 06:53 PM. Reason: To add link. DOH! ;)
    08-16-12 06:47 PM
    From memory I'm pretty sure it must be FIPS 140-2 because 140-1 was superseded several years ago. Existing 140-1 approvals were grandfathered but all new entries must be to 140-2 protocols.

Each crypto kernal must be approved, if it is has changed then Apple would be starting the process over. Now they could easily apply directly for FIPS 140-2 (which you are likely correct on) but they have not yet been able to obtain that. FIPS only validates the Crypto kernel, from my understanding, and this would not necessarily protect the rest of the OS from exploit. Keep in mind DingleBerry was able to root the Playbook even though it was FIPS 140 compliant.
    Last edited by Sith_Apprentice; 08-17-12 at 07:05 AM.
    08-17-12 06:40 AM
    No end to jailbreaking because jailbreaks use a combination of processor and kernel exploits. Jailbreak teams already possess plenty of kernel exploits, and all beta versions of iOS 6 have already been compromised. IMHO, cracking the new processor is a when, not an if.

Is the iPhone 4S currently FIPS 140-2 compliant? Probably yes, according to Jonathan Zdziarski. Would you want to store confidential data on an iPhone? Look at the kinds of iOS exploits currently being taught in seminars:
    Hacking and Securing iOS Applications L-1 - Eventbrite

iOS (any) version is not FIPS 140-2 certified at this time.
    08-17-12 07:04 AM
    End of jail breaking

How else would one get that new bb10 keyboard on a iphone though!?!?
    08-17-12 07:15 AM
    Is the iPhone 4S currently FIPS 140-2 compliant? Probably yes, according to Jonathan Zdziarski.
    If it ain't in the list it ain't compliant. I don't see any reference relevant to Apple mobile devices in the list available today, in the last 18 months only the OS X crypto module has received approval.
    Sith_Apprentice likes this.
    08-17-12 07:21 AM
    Each crypto kernal must be approved, if it is has changed then Apple would be starting the process over. Now they could easily apply directly for FIPS 140-2 (which you are likely correct on)
    For the record, FIPS 140-2 was approved back in 2001, and became effective soon after. I didn't notice the formal date but most equipment with 140-1 approval is likely to be long-retired by now.
    08-17-12 07:25 AM
    For the record, FIPS 140-2 was approved back in 2001, and became effective soon after. I didn't notice the formal date but most equipment with 140-1 approval is likely to be long-retired by now.

Very possible. Apple received their validation in March of this year for MAC OS X 10.7, so they have changed their stance on it (they came into DoD and said no, we arent changing anything for you guys, take it or leave it lol)
    08-17-12 08:05 AM
    iOS (any) version is not FIPS 140-2 certified at this time.
    I did not claim that any version of iOS was certified, I just noted that in one expert's opinion, maybe The Expert on iOS security, the latest devices were "probably compliant." My second point is that while FIPS certification is very important, Apple has some work to do before they actually deliver the kind of mobile security that some organizations and individuals need.
    08-17-12 09:36 AM

Hacking and Securing iOS Applications L-1 - Eventbrite
    Those seminars are the reason my agency won't even consider iOS at the moment. They start squirming like a man faced with a running three year old running straight to him.
    08-17-12 01:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD