I've heard a lot of mixed reviews and comments about the Storm, but I still _think_ I want one. Would it be worth it to upgrade, if it comes out for At&t? I can upgrade in November, and I was wondering if surely the Storm will be on At&t by then? or will there be an different device out? help
    01-19-09 04:55 PM
    Maybe......
    01-19-09 05:00 PM
    No but in all seriousness it depends what you want from your BB.

Have you tried typing with one? do you get on with it?

I went for the 8900 because the Bold was a bit to big for me and I hate virtual keyboards.

Hopefully the Storm will become more reliable in the coming months but it all comes down to what you want from the device.
    01-19-09 05:02 PM
    I have tried the sure-type keyboard, and loved it. the full qwerty was a bit cumbersome, but that can be improved with OS updates that rim SHOULD come out with. the speed at which I type doesn't bother me. I'd love to have a touch screen, but I don't want anything less of blackberry capability. 3G and WiFi would also be nice to have.
    01-19-09 05:07 PM
    If the Storm for AT&T isn't out by November, the Storm for Rogers should be. Just buy that and unlock it and it will work with AT&T.
    01-19-09 05:09 PM
    If the Storm for AT&T isn't out by November, the Storm for Rogers should be. Just buy that and unlock it and it will work with AT&T.
    well, I'll be more than happy to wait for the subsidized price, because an unlocked storm with 3G and WiFi would seem to be expensive. haha
    01-19-09 05:10 PM
    If you're satisfied with your curve than I would say there's no point in switching, although I love everything about mine. But if you really don't have to upgrade than I would say don't because there are a few great sounding devices (i.e. 9900 Pluto, 9220 Magnum) which are rumored to be coming to AT&T soon enough.
    01-19-09 05:47 PM
    what makes those two devices sound good? (I just want to have a good idea of what is coming) and would you switch to either the pluto or the magnum if you could?
    01-19-09 05:50 PM
    what makes those two devices sound good? (I just want to have a good idea of what is coming) and would you switch to either the pluto or the magnum if you could?
    The 9220 Magnum is rumored to being an 8900 with 3G, something which sounds awesome. The 9900 Pluto is suppose to have the Bold's form factor with a touch screen (while keeping the full QWERTY). Would I switch?...good question, I haven't had enough exposure to the 8900 so I can't really say if I would prefer the Magnum over the Storm, but I think, if I had the chance, I would get a "Pluto" over a Storm, although we don't actually know what it'll be like.
    01-19-09 05:55 PM
    very true. i like having the physical keyboard, but having a touch screen is something i like. it really depends on how the pluto turns out, but so far, the storm is still something that I would be comfortable with.

also, wouldn't you think that the physical keyboard added with a touch screen be a lot to achieve in a sensible form factor for rim, that is if they continue this "surepress" technology?
    01-19-09 06:00 PM
    take the epix and blackjack II for example. the form factor stayed somewhat the same, but then add the bold's keyboard, and then a surepress screen. the added room of the keyboard, and then the space for the screen to function, wouldn't it seem to get a bit bulky?
    01-19-09 06:04 PM
    also, wouldn't you think that the physical keyboard added with a touch screen be a lot to achieve in a sensible form factor for rim, that is if they continue this "surepress" technology?
    I had the same thought but I'll take the awesomeness factor while ignoring the "trying too hard" factor.
    01-19-09 06:04 PM
    Haha, if/when it comes, I think it'd be a really cool device. it would definitely have an "awesomeness factor." I really want an all in one device, and if the pluto does that, i'll take it at the first chance I get. But the storm really sounds like something i could handle, with the iTunes DRM free thing now, I could have my iTunes with me (I do that already with my Curve, but the storm has a much better media player), and I would have the same blackberry function, but in a more "fun" way to do it.

Sorry if i'm being difficult, but I want something that is totally worth while.
    01-19-09 06:11 PM
    Sorry if i'm being difficult, but I want something that is totally worth while.
    Be difficult all you want, its your money and you shouldn't spend it until you find the perfect device. I bought my storm knowing it had a few problems but I was (and still am) confident those problems would be fixed. My advice though, wait it out, you have plenty of time between now and Nov. to look at the Storm's progression and the new devices coming out.
    01-19-09 06:18 PM
    Yeah, that's the best way to do it. If nothing turns out to be worth while, I'll stick with the Storm. Do you think it will be out for At&t by then?
    01-19-09 06:19 PM
    Yeah, that's the best way to do it. If nothing turns out to be worth while, I'll stick with the Storm. Do you think it will be out for At&t by then?
    I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on this thing (CX would be a better person to ask) so all I'll say is November is a long time away.
    01-19-09 06:23 PM
    Haha, okay. It should be out by then. it seems like something at&t would do, being the last carrier to usually get the good phones.
    01-19-09 06:25 PM
    I don't think that the Storm is coming to AT&T anytime soon. I'm pretty sure it's exclusive with VZW in the US as of right now. It will be coming to Rogers in Canada, so you could purchase that and port it over as someone else mentioned.
    01-19-09 07:37 PM
    Uhg, I don't like the sound of that. if it comes to it, I'll think about that.
    Last edited by jakeberry123; 01-19-09 at 09:06 PM. Reason: didnt sound right
    01-19-09 08:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD