BlackBerry under JC's leadership is on the rebound with the recent announcement of Passport and Classic and exceeding analysts' expectations in its last earnings results. The share price is up and Z3 sales in Indonesia reportedly were good. Security is BlackBerry's strongest feature. Is the Blackphone a legitimate competitor that can derail BlackBerry's recovery?

Blackphone preorders ship; new orders to open 7/14 - CNET
    06-30-14 08:20 PM
    It's an android, nuff said?

Posted via CB10
    06-30-14 08:27 PM
    Meh, if security was such a strong selling point BlackBerry would be doing a lot better right now.

Posted via CB10
    06-30-14 08:33 PM
    Meh, if security was such a strong selling point BlackBerry would be doing a lot better right now.

Posted via CB10
    True that.
    06-30-14 09:00 PM
    It's based on Android, which is inherently insecure.

Posted via CB10 from my spectacular Z10
    07-02-14 05:39 AM
    Yes it is a great phone that will still outsell BB10 devices.
    07-02-14 06:46 AM
    Yawn saw the specs and all it's been rooting out to be nothing special. That and it's running android kernel wouldn't be any bit surprised to be hacked on first day of release.

Posted via CB10 on my blazing fast Z30
    07-02-14 02:49 PM

Posted via CB10
    Absolutely true but some won't let it go.

Everything I say is my OPINION and is based on my experiences and what I have learned. It is not meant to attack but to drive meaningful conversation. Let's all be civil!
    07-02-14 05:44 PM
    Yawn saw the specs and all it's been rooting out to be nothing special. That and it's running android kernel wouldn't be any bit surprised to be hacked on first day of release.

Posted via CB10 on my blazing fast Z30
    Is this the best response people can come up with?

Everything I say is my OPINION and is based on my experiences and what I have learned. It is not meant to attack but to drive meaningful conversation. Let's all be civil!
    07-02-14 05:45 PM

Posted via CB10
    You copied the exact response from the dictionary shown for fanboy.
    darkehawke and WorldwideRemix like this.
    07-02-14 06:54 PM
    Thanks

Posted via CB10
    07-02-14 06:55 PM

Posted via CB10
    Now you actually thought about your answer. Thanks for adding to the discussion.
    07-02-14 06:56 PM
    Now you actually thought about your answer. Thanks for adding to the discussion.
    Thanks

Posted via CB10
    07-02-14 06:56 PM
    If we're talking about security which is what the blackphone is about let's talk about security....
    http://www.cvedetails.com/product/25...vendor_id=8356

http://www.cvedetails.com/product/19...vendor_id=1224

Compare.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    07-02-14 07:03 PM

Posted via CB10
    Security is the selling point of blackphone... the strength in question is security... not market share numbers...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    spikesolie likes this.
    07-02-14 07:04 PM
    I would not trust an Android product for security under any circumstance.
    07-02-14 07:07 PM
    I actually find this quite amusing! Someone has to come up with a phone when security is automatically implemented in Black Berry devices from the get go. No need to have a special phone for that. Black Berry doesn't have to
    07-02-14 07:10 PM
    I would not trust an Android product for security under any circumstance.
    The iOS numbers are exponentially worse. http://www.cvedetails.com/product/15...l?vendor_id=49

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    07-02-14 07:11 PM
    Am I correct in assumption that black phone has no Google services and so it supports only limited set of apps - the same set that BlackBerry and amazon phones do? If so, then what is the advantage over BlackBerry 10 which provides extra on top of aosp? Something is missing...

Posted via CB10
    07-02-14 07:28 PM
    Fanboy for Android or BB10? His answer was pretty ambiguous so your response was not really called for and was just a way to start something unnecessarily. SMH

Question was:
    Is the Blackphone a legitimate competitor that can derail BlackBerry's recovery?

Answer given:

Possible Meanings:
    1. Pretty much all Android phones have higher sales than BlackBerry, therefore it is a legitimate competitor.
    2. Android has many security issues, so no, its not a competitor.

Given they are a real competitor by nearly all sense of measurement in business (deep pockets vendor, same target market and function), option 1 has more meaning than option 2.

So does that make him an Android fanboy?
    spikesolie likes this.
    07-02-14 09:20 PM
    Am I correct in assumption that black phone has no Google services and so it supports only limited set of apps - the same set that BlackBerry and amazon phones do? If so, then what is the advantage over BlackBerry 10 which provides extra on top of aosp? Something is missing...

Posted via CB10
    It self-destructs if someone tries to tamper with the guts.
    07-02-14 09:23 PM
    Actually, arstechnica did a very thorough review of the black phone and determined that it was very secure after using common tools to gain information.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2014...-the-paranoid/

Will people buy it? Maybe, maybe not, but don't expect it to be a power seller. It is a niche device to serve security minded and business individuals. The average consumer does not care about security and whether or not their traffic is going through a vpn. They only want their devices to work as security is already an inconvenience to them.

Blackphone is a worthy contender and while it runs Android, it is a very stripped version of Android that allows more granularity with app permissions. I bashed it too with the whole "it's Android enough said" excuse, but that doesn't cut it anymore.

Edit: Blackphone comes with apps that provide point to point encryption(of course we have that already), one button push vpn tunneling, and even self destructive messages between Blackphone clients.

Check the article out and research more on the work they've done to make Blackphone more secure before you bash it. There is no positive in ignoring competition. Anyone remember what happened with the first iPhone release?

Enough said.

EDIT: It got rooted ...

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Superbuddy2007; 08-20-14 at 08:10 AM.
    darkehawke and RH1Pearl like this.
    07-02-14 09:34 PM
    It self-destructs if someone tries to tamper with the guts.
    Oops, getting mixed up with the Boeing phone.
    07-02-14 09:41 PM
    Oops, getting mixed up with the Boeing phone.
    Ooo, where can I get one!?

Posted via CB10
    07-02-14 09:43 PM
    Check the article out and research more on the work they've done to make Blackphone more secure before you bash it.
    Yeap, that's a good read. Even though it was kind of sponsored so keep that in mind.

The encrypted SIP communication seems to follow BBM encryption protocol and would have the same issues:
    * Single point of failure - relay server is down means no phone calls
    * Single point of interception - governments need to work out a single order (BBM Pro is stated to solve that)

And the article while mentioning device encryption doesn't describe how they clean up memory once device is locked.
    Java keeps all the strings in RAM and require special garbage collector to fill them with zeros on lock (as done in BB java, link).
    It's relatively easy to extract encryption keys from an encrypted android (link).

Let's wait for security experts, based on the sell off I guess there are very many enthusiasts willing to proclaim "I was the first to crack the most secure phone" (which may never happen).
    Superbuddy2007 likes this.
    07-02-14 10:54 PM
31 12