My work has Lost their BES License and in order to Renew they tell me They Must WIPE my entire phone and Start Over and Reinstall the New BES service. My Question is if I do a Backup and Restore won't That just Reinstall the OLD BES Settings ??? Or can I just select what I want to Restore ?? I do not want to lose All my Purchased Applications and Contacts !!!

Thanks in Advance

8330 Verizon
    v4.3.0.127(platform 3.1.0.72)

Terry
    11-11-09 09:50 AM
    I'm not all that familiar with the innerworkings of BES. But I know that you can choose to selectively back up what you wish, rather than a full backup.
    You can back up third party apps, bookmarks, contacts, sms messages...any component of info that's stored on your phone. A full backup/restore is not necessary if you're trying to avoid it.
    11-11-09 10:12 AM
    My work has Lost their BES License and in order to Renew they tell me They Must WIPE my entire phone and Start Over and Reinstall the New BES service. My Question is if I do a Backup and Restore won't That just Reinstall the OLD BES Settings ??? Or can I just select what I want to Restore ?? I do not want to lose All my Purchased Applications and Contacts !!!

Thanks in Advance

8330 Verizon
    v4.3.0.127(platform 3.1.0.72)

Terry
    Yes, a backup and restore will do what you want it to. After a wipe, and subsequent restore, you'll still need to do a BES Activation, the activation itself is not part of the backup.

I will add this - although not entirely sure of the situation, I can't imagine why they would require you to wipe or reactivate. We've done entire server migrations without having our users reactivate much less wipe their handheld. Even if a handheld is activated on a BES, you can reactivate it on another BES by doing the enterprise activation again and not wiping the handheld.
    11-11-09 10:19 AM
    That was What I was Thinking as well ! Why Wipe the ENTIRE PHONE just to Change the BES Settings ,, I asked them and They said that was the ONLY WAY ! but if the BES is not a Part of the RESTORE I should be able to Restore all of my APPS.. I HOPE !!
    11-11-09 10:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD