As I recently discovered in an app I just bought (Photo X Pro) you can easily put an Off button on your app's home screen to turn the app off directly instead of swiping up and pressing X. That is great for multitasking but in some cases you want to turn the app off directly and this would save us a few steps.

What do you say? Can you do it?

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-16-13 04:00 AM
    So essentially close the app without the active frame state. Open app then one action and it takes you right to homescreen...like voice control or closing a folder. Swipe up and its gone.
    02-16-13 04:54 AM
    So essentially close the app without the active frame state. Open app then one action and it takes you right to homescreen...like voice control or closing a folder. Swipe up and its gone.
    More like this, tap the power buton and the app closes.
    Attached Thumbnails Word to developers, please implement an Off buton-img_00000258.jpg  
    02-16-13 05:13 AM
    I totally agree that the functionality should be available for some things.
    anon(4018671) likes this.
    02-16-13 05:20 AM
    I can agree that for many apps there is not real need to have them as ActiveFrame or anything...

Perhaps we can tap into the API used for the Voice Control App... when in the app - swipe up - and the app flips away...

Or even better, as the OS evolve - there might be a per-app setting - where this close/ActiveFrame can be controlled.
    02-16-13 05:45 AM
    The only problem I have with a single "button" control is the high probability of accidentally killing the app altogether - especially when there is work in progress that might be lost. A two swipe-up procedure like we have in the PlayBook or a swipe up and then tap on the X seems to be a good way to prevent unintended closure of an app.
    02-16-13 06:50 AM
    The only problem I have with a single "button" control is the high probability of accidentally killing the app altogether - especially when there is work in progress that might be lost. A two swipe-up procedure like we have in the PlayBook or a swipe up and then tap on the X seems to be a good way to prevent unintended closure of an app.
    There is no risk if the button is only on the app home screen.

02-16-13 06:59 AM
    It's great for more power consuming apps, but for things that show important images or notifications during ActiveFrame, then no thanks.
    02-16-13 08:44 AM
    Yeah that's one feature the playbook has that I'm astounded was left out of BlackBerry 10.

02-16-13 08:46 AM
    Closing an app from within itself runs contrary to the design guidelines laid out for BB10. It's a possible but discoureaged practice. In fact you shouldn't need to close your apps. By default apps do not run in the background (while in an active frame), unless they specifically request to do so. Hence if you have an app that doesn't do anything in the background, it should be enough to swipe up and and leave it be and switch to your next app. Once there is no more memory or app limit is reached it will be automatically closed. On the other hand if you have an app that does stuff while in the background, you would want to leave it open after swiping up.

Obviously these are relative things and some people will like them differently than others. However it's usually more important to have consistency so people automatically know how to use the next app knowing the previous one, than tackling all corner cases.
    02-16-13 11:20 AM
    Well I like having the off button there, if I'm done with an app and I'm back on its home screen it would be much faster to hit the off button instead of swiping upper and tap the little x.

However, I don't want it as an alternative to swiping up, just as an extra option.
    Tkarps likes this.
    02-17-13 04:20 AM
    Closing an app from within itself runs contrary to the design guidelines laid out for BB10. It's a possible but discoureaged practice. In fact you shouldn't need to close your apps. By default apps do not run in the background (while in an active frame), unless they specifically request to do so. Hence if you have an app that doesn't do anything in the background, it should be enough to swipe up and and leave it be and switch to your next app. Once there is no more memory or app limit is reached it will be automatically closed. On the other hand if you have an app that does stuff while in the background, you would want to leave it open after swiping up.

Obviously these are relative things and some people will like them differently than others. However it's usually more important to have consistency so people automatically know how to use the next app knowing the previous one, than tackling all corner cases.
    I agree. If you want to develop a really good app, you have to follow design guidelines. The quirks and weird things (even if they are extras) are not good. Consistency is the king at development world.
    Last edited by BlackQtCoder; 02-17-13 at 07:50 AM.
    v17al likes this.
    02-17-13 07:34 AM

Completely disagree. When I'm done with an app - I want it closed.

Period.

Except for apps that need to stay running for notification purposes, but those should be the exception.

I see no consistancy issues with the idea of a "close" button. We aren't stupid. That's more of the way Apple thinks.
    belfastdispatcher and Tkarps like this.
    02-17-13 10:43 AM
    As I recently discovered in an app I just bought (Photo X Pro) you can easily put an Off button on your app's home screen to turn the app off directly instead of swiping up and pressing X. That is great for multitasking but in some cases you want to turn the app off directly and this would save us a few steps.

What do you say? Can you do it?

Can developers do it? Of course.
    Should developers do it? Of course not.

"Summarizing the philosophy behind BB10, Bhardwaj said, "It's about moving between applications, not about home buttons, opening and closing�This is real time true multitasking. In and out does not exist on BlackBerry 10."
    "We're not moving in and out of applications," Heins said.

BB10 is designed to manage apps without the need for users to worry about an overt "kill app" action. Moving to a new app is all that is necessary if the developer has done his job correctly.

Support developers who write well behaved apps. The platform will be much stronger because of this.
    02-17-13 11:18 AM

"Summarizing the philosophy behind BB10, Bhardwaj said, "It's about moving between applications, not about home buttons, opening and closing�This is real time true multitasking. In and out does not exist on BlackBerry 10."

BB10 is designed to manage apps without the need for users to worry about an overt "kill app" action. Moving to a new app is all that is necessary if the developer has done his job correctly.

Support developers who write well behaved apps. The platform will be much stronger because of this.
    I completely disagree, we are blackberry people remember? And BB10 was built for BlackBerry People, I need and want to do things fast and have full control. If I want an app to stay open in the background I want it fully active and if I want to close it I want it fully closed, I certainly don't want it to linger in the background.

Posted via CB10
    02-17-13 12:00 PM
    I completely disagree, we are blackberry people remember? And BB10 was built for BlackBerry People, I need and want to do things fast and have full control. If I want an app to stay open in the background I want it fully active and if I want to close it I want it fully closed, I certainly don't want it to linger in the background.

Posted via CB10
    The problem is that pandering to BlackBerry people and only BlackBerry people is what got them in the situation they are in now.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    BlackQtCoder likes this.
    02-17-13 12:02 PM

"Summarizing the philosophy behind BB10, Bhardwaj said, "It's about moving between applications, not about home buttons, opening and closing…This is real time true multitasking. In and out does not exist on BlackBerry 10."

Congratulations, red stripe.
    I can't say it better.

One more thing, joeldf ...
    That's more of the way Apple thinks.
    Is not Apple's way of to do things... is the software development's way of to do things. We, developers, are not stupid too.
    And remember please ... Apple did not invent anything.
    Last edited by BlackQtCoder; 02-17-13 at 05:30 PM.
    v17al likes this.
    02-17-13 12:02 PM
    The problem is that pandering to BlackBerry people and only BlackBerry people is what got them in the situation they are in now.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    At the same time that's the reason I always bought a blackberry. Catch 22.

I want a tool for my needs though and BB10 was promised for BlackBerry People, not for a granny to be able to use it.

Posted via CB10
    02-17-13 12:11 PM
    I'm confused. I thought gestures rather then buttons are the key to BB10

Maybe a kill gesture instead is needed. pinch from top right and bottom left together to kill an app without going to active frame
    02-17-13 12:16 PM

Maybe a kill gesture instead is needed. pinch from top right and bottom left together to kill an app without going to active frame
    I'm not saying we should have one and not the other, both is better, swipe for leaving the app in the background, off button for when you know you want to kill the app. Easy no?

Posted via CB10
    02-17-13 12:19 PM
    I'm not saying we should have one and not the other, both is better, swipe for leaving the app in the background, off button for when you know you want to kill the app. Easy no?

Posted via CB10
    I understand what you're saying and i agree with your reasons.
    It's just that Blackberry has kind of built BB10 to be completely gesture based. It may be taken as backtracking if they start implementing buttons. you know what i mean, there certain sites out there that would twist anything blackberry does into a bad thing.

But just to state i do think its a good idea, to have a kill option as well as a minimise option
    02-17-13 12:25 PM
    Bingo !!!!!!!!!
    What will happen if developers dont follow Blackberry guidelines ??? ---------------> confused users -----------> No purchases ------------> No money ---------> Bye Blackberry !
    02-17-13 12:26 PM
    I understand what you're saying and i agree with your reasons.
    It's just that Blackberry has kind of built BB10 to be completely gesture based. It may be taken as backtracking if they start implementing buttons. you know what i mean, there certain sites out there that would twist anything blackberry does into a bad thing.

But just to state i do think its a good idea, to have a kill option as well as a minimise option
    There is back buttons sometimes. Its not always slide to go back. i.e its not ALL gestures. Same concept could be put into effect for closing apps from within it.
    02-17-13 12:27 PM
    Bingo !!!!!!!!!
    What will happen if developers dont follow Blackberry guidelines ??? ---------------> confused users -----------> No purchases ------------> No money ---------> Bye Blackberry !
    How about the opportunity to say "Thank you and Goodbye" like the Photo X Pro app does when you hit the off button? I think it's pretty neat!

Posted via CB10
    02-17-13 12:35 PM
    Very curious ... Blackberry people dont want that Blackberry developers follow the Blackberry guidelines ... Interesting ... I will check with my psychoanalyst
    02-17-13 12:37 PM
110 123 ...