I currently am a T-mo customer with a 8320. I'm no longer under any obligations and can leave to go with another carrier at any time. This works out beautifully as my wife and I can't wait to get a new Bold or Storm (or so I thought).

After making the joyous trips to the At&t and Verizon stores and gathering all the info we learned that in addition to selling our lives away for the next two years they also wanted our souls.

It's been awhile (2 years +) since I pursued a new contract/plan etc.. You see prices for the phones w/two year commitments and you're good to go right? Wow, I guess we were a little naive. To get the advertised price and or even use the device (Verizon) you must have a data plan.

Ok, this is the part where anyone who reads this is thinking what an *****. Who wants a premium BB without a data plan? Let me be the first to tell these folks they need a Razor V3 or something.

My wife and I have a wireless network at home, at work, at family, friends etc. While naive at many things BB I can tell you that FREE INTERNET ACCESS IS EVERYWHERE. As a result we have concluded that we should just fork out the $$$ for unlocked BB Bolds (wifi enabled) Keep in mind that T-mo has a free BB enabler feature which allows wifi,mms, etc. without a data plan.

Can someone explain why we would want to both have the expense of data plans? Also I have one question I'm sure this forum can help with as reps for these major carriers cannot.........What good is the wifi feature if you must pay for a data plan? I know this doesn't apply to the Storm and now I see why it doesn't even have wifi. Is there a good reason why any premium BB or other new smart phone would not have wifi? Other than these carriers needing more $$$$$$$ out of us.
    01-02-09 09:11 AM
    Please point me to the link or location where I can use my T-Mob BB WiFi without a data Plan.

Thanks
    DMG
    01-02-09 09:36 AM
    I would suggest calling customer support as that's what I did when I first purcahsed my Curve. I'm sure the feature will not be advertised as it is free.
    01-02-09 09:49 AM
    I am pretty sure you have to pay for wi fi access. I am not positive though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-02-09 09:51 AM
    I have been a customer with VZW for a LOOONG time. I have tried tMo and ATT in between and have always gone back to VZW. I don't care that they require a data plan, because even if vzw HAD wifi, you still need BB data plan to have your email sent in real time to the BB. I think you might even need it for BBM? (correct me if i'm wrong). Verizon's coverage is exceptional in my area. Also my data plan only costs 23.99 since i get 20% off features thru my employer. (i also get 22% voiceplan)

Even if i had a choice of wifi only, i dont normally browse on my BB bc its crap. When i had my iPhone with ATT (yes this is why i left vzw to get one) I would browse on wifi all the time bc it was an incredible browser. The iPhone data plan was the same price as BB. It was worth it.

and no one can explain to you why you need the expense of data plan. If you cannot afford it in your budget, or decide that FOR YOU it is not necessary, you have just answered your own question. No one here can decide that for you.
    01-02-09 09:55 AM
    The only wifi access on Tmo you pay for is the UMA calling which is 10 bucks for unlimited calls over wifi that doesnt use your any time minutes. You dont have to pay the 10 bucks to use UMA for calling but it will use up your regular minutes even if its made over wifi. You need the data for bbm if you use it though and for any bb email accounts that you use.
    01-02-09 10:05 AM
    The only wifi access on Tmo you pay for is the UMA calling which is 10 bucks for unlimited calls over wifi that doesnt use your any time minutes. You dont have to pay the 10 bucks to use UMA for calling but it will use up your regular minutes even if its made over wifi. You need the data for bbm if you use it though and for any bb email accounts that you use.
    Thats probally the one thing i wish ATT had when i had the iPhone. I would have kept it if i could make calls over wifi, because obv i had no service anywhereeee lol
    01-02-09 10:07 AM
    Im still puzzled why you would want a BB without a data plan? I mean, isnt the idea to be able to get your "stuff" on the go? WiFi isnt everywhere I am, and I cant imagine my BB without a data plan.

As far as WiFi devices, VZW's data coverage is superb, at least in the SouthEast where I roam around. Thus I am not tied to needing a WiFi connection.

Im not being critical or mean, I just don't understand.

chaz
    Last edited by chaznsc; 01-02-09 at 10:41 AM.
    01-02-09 10:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD