Hey guys I've read through some threads here I like the atmosphere on this board!

Im currently located in Russia, Moscow. I would like to purchase my self the BB9700 Bold2.

I have a few questions arising

Which country produce the BB9700? (calling online shops in Russia I was told that BB's are produced in Mexico, Canada, Finland & China... I understand that they dont know what they talking about) That left me confused which built should I get... They sell BB's here officially blackberry.mts.ru but I've heard that they are restricted in their capabilities if they are official.

I understand that I will have to unlock the device that doesnt scare me but please advise me as to which built to get BB, I wont to replace my aging Nokia E61 and move onto something new... I wonted the Nokia E72 but my friend talked me into the BlackBerrys! My sister loves the BB's she lives in the US she has the first Bold, she told me I will love the BB
    02-21-10 05:27 AM
    from reading different threads here, ive seen a bunch of info regarding build sites. the general idea is that phone for most of the americas are made in either canada or mexico. for europe/asia, i believe there were a few different sites, one of which was hungary. i cant speak for the build quality of any device other than the mexican one that i own. i have no build issues or problems with the quality of this model made from there.
    02-21-10 05:34 AM
    Hello,

BlackBerry smartphones are manufactured in Canada, Mexico and Hungary. Quite funny that you mention Finland as I live in Finland, but we have no BlackBerry smartphones. Be assured that BlackBerry smartphones are not manufactured in Finland

In Russia, according to BlackBerry official website, only MTS and Beeline carriers offer BlackBerry smartphones. Neither of them have the Bold 9700 though. You will be able to unlock a Bold 9700 and use on their network, however there might be a policy that a BlackBerry data plan can be activated only by purchase of a new BlackBerry. Ask your service provider (MTS/Beeline) if you can pay for a BlackBerry data plan separately. Once that is clear all you need is an unlocked BlackBerry to activate on the network. Simply pop in the SIM from your service provider and the rest should be a fairly automatic process.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by shinkodachi; 02-21-10 at 11:06 AM.
    02-21-10 05:39 AM
    My 9000 was built in Hungary. Loose battery cover but otherwise stable. Both phones in the Bold series are remarkable devices. You likely will be very happy with the 9700.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-21-10 06:35 AM
    I have seen a couple referenced to BlackBerry being built in China.

According to Research in Motion's Annual Report:

In Asia Pacific, RIM operates 87,478 square feet in Hong Kong, Australia, Japan, India and China, where it conducts sales and marketing activities ...
    BlackBerry accessories are sourced in China, but there are no Chinese assembly plants. They are located in Canada, Mexico and Hungary.

02-21-10 09:11 AM
    @Reed: Are you sure? I recall reading somewhere that people using insurance services from Asurion (?) and taking advantage of it have gotten BlackBerry smartphones that are marked Made in China.
    02-21-10 10:08 AM
    Very sure, the rules that govern corporate compliance are very clear. Research in Motion publishes an Annual Report every year and issues Press Releases regularly. Adobe PDF formatted documents encourage searching. I have reviewed every occurance of the word China and Manufacture in AR '09.

I saw that comment too, but I have not seen confirmation. There are knock off products that originate in Asia, that would have a Made in China label, but no actual Research in Motion products are Made in China.
    02-21-10 11:00 AM
    Very sure, the rules that govern corporate compliance are very clear. Research in Motion publishes an Annual Report every year and issues Press Releases regularly. Adobe PDF formatted documents encourage searching. I have reviewed every occurance of the word China and Manufacture in AR '09.

I saw that comment too, but I have not seen confirmation. There are knock off products that originate in Asia, that would have a Made in China label, but no actual Research in Motion products are Made in China.
    Ok thanks, that's good to know!
    02-21-10 11:07 AM
    from reading different threads here, ive seen a bunch of info regarding build sites. the general idea is that phone for most of the americas are made in either canada or mexico. for europe/asia, i believe there were a few different sites, one of which was hungary. i cant speak for the build quality of any device other than the mexican one that i own. i have no build issues or problems with the quality of this model made from there.
    Understood! Now I get a clearer view!

Hello,

BlackBerry smartphones are manufactured in Canada, Mexico and Hungary. Quite funny that you mention Finland as I live in Finland, but we have no BlackBerry smartphones. Be assured that BlackBerry smartphones are not manufactured in Finland

In Russia, according to BlackBerry official website, only MTS and Beeline carriers offer BlackBerry smartphones. Neither of them have the Bold 9700 though. You will be able to unlock a Bold 9700 and use on their network, however there might be a policy that a BlackBerry data plan can be activated only by purchase of a new BlackBerry. Ask your service provider (MTS/Beeline) if you can pay for a BlackBerry data plan separately. Once that is clear all you need is an unlocked BlackBerry to activate on the network. Simply pop in the SIM from your service provider and the rest should be a fairly automatic process.

Hope this helps.
    Hehe Finland nice place as I hang around the BMW 5series forum and someone posted a photo-shoot of his 5'er in Finland really nice place!

Thank you for your research on our market here.

I knew that 9700 dont get sold officially and I wasnt planing to get it OFFICIAL. They are crippled like they block the WiFi adapters on them and some other cripples to the BB Russian authorities dont like these phones as they encrypt data and some other james bond tricks that the BB does are not appreciated by the auth

My 9000 was built in Hungary. Loose battery cover but otherwise stable. Both phones in the Bold series are remarkable devices. You likely will be very happy with the 9700.

I will take that into account!

Thanks guys for not letting me hang in the air free
    02-22-10 02:22 AM
    Update: here is whats crippled on the official BB's in Russia (I guess some of these points also hunt the non official BB's)

source: unlock-blackberry.blogspot.com/2009/10/aksessuary-blackberry.html

• no compression of data
    • encryption exists but its still all available to the authorities
    • Blackberry Messanger (PIN2PIN) DONT WORK
    • WiFi turned off once and forever no way to turn it back on (maybe someone will find a hack for this)

So guys I dont wont to get a BB as their services dont work in my country the whole point of a BB is killed here

How my choice will have to be taken between the Nokia E71 & Motorola MILESTONE (although I havent researched what people say about Google's Android)
    02-22-10 02:42 AM
    source: unlock-blackberry.blogspot.com/2009/10/aksessuary-blackberry.html

• no compression of data
    • encryption exists but its still all available to the authorities
    • Blackberry Messanger (PIN2PIN) DONT WORK
    • WiFi turned off once and forever no way to turn it back on (maybe someone will find a hack for this)

So guys I dont wont to get a BB as their services dont work in my country the whole point of a BB is killed here

How my choice will have to be taken between the Nokia E71 & Motorola MILESTONE (although I havent researched what people say about Google's Android)[/QUOTE]

Now that is just a shame. Take a capable device and totally strip the utility from it.

Sorry to hear that you'll be unable to go with the BlackBerry. Good luck with whatever device you choose next. No sense in having something you can't really reap the benefits of.

02-22-10 03:57 AM
    They are crippled like they block the WiFi adapters on them and some other cripples to the BB Russian authorities dont like these phones as they encrypt data and some other james bond tricks that the BB does are not appreciated by the auth
    Define authorities for me. I thought the Soviet Union collapsed in 1991, who cares what you are doing on your phone? Why don't you move here with your sister, then you can enjoy berry freedom!
    02-22-10 05:11 AM
    Define authorities for me. I thought the Soviet Union collapsed in 1991, who cares what you are doing on your phone? Why don't you move here with your sister, then you can enjoy berry freedom!
    Soviet Union collapsed alright... There is a group of people that wont know ALL...

Authorities are fsb.ru its similiar too CIA, FBI I guess..
    02-22-10 06:22 AM
    I wouldn't be surprised if they have installed a security camera in your own toilet too, maybe they're positioning your GPS co-ordinates right now

Have you made up your mind yet... going to get a BlackBerry or not? One thing you can be sure of is that getting an unlocked BlackBerry elsewhere will guarantee that settings such as WiFi will stay enabled (no way for your carrier to disable this).
    02-22-10 06:49 AM
    Get an E71 if you can, it's a good phone. E72 has better specs, but also has problems. I never heard anybody complain about an E71, it's a magic phone. Keys are a bit small if you have big fingers though. And lots of hacking and modding opportunities on Nokia phones, from the Chinese and Russian guys.
    02-22-10 07:48 AM
    Get an E71 if you can, it's a good phone. E72 has better specs, but also has problems. I never heard anybody complain about an E71, it's a magic phone. Keys are a bit small if you have big fingers though. And lots of hacking and modding opportunities on Nokia phones, from the Chinese and Russian guys.
    I just ordered the E72, they kind old already let alone the older E71. What cool hacks exist for the E71 that dont exist for the E72 so maybe I should reconsider
    02-24-10 04:09 AM
    I wouldn't be surprised if they have installed a security camera in your own toilet too, maybe they're positioning your GPS co-ordinates right now

Have you made up your mind yet... going to get a BlackBerry or not? One thing you can be sure of is that getting an unlocked BlackBerry elsewhere will guarantee that settings such as WiFi will stay enabled (no way for your carrier to disable this).
    LOL @ the camera! My car is on satalite security so certain people know where Im located if Im with my car that is

I think Im gona stay with Nokia E72 although my friend told me to check out the Motorola Milestone they dont sell them officially yet it has the Google Android aka Droid OS but Im not to sure about it though... Kinda way to knew to be good I think or am I mistaken?
    02-24-10 04:29 AM
    I just ordered the E72, they kind old already let alone the older E71. What cool hacks exist for the E71 that dont exist for the E72 so maybe I should reconsider
    I think most of what works on the E71 will work on the E72. Hopefully you will get a good one. Check out the forums on dailymobile.se. That's the best Nokia forum I have found.
    02-24-10 04:43 AM
    I think most of what works on the E71 will work on the E72. Hopefully you will get a good one. Check out the forums on dailymobile.se. That's the best Nokia forum I have found.
    I ordered Finland built Nokia E72. My friend told if the warranty will be handed on a separate paper not in the instruction manual then its not a Finland built and I should refuse it. Also Ill run this *#92702689# to see how long it has been on so I dont get sold some display phone from top shelves at the stores know what I mean
    02-24-10 04:58 AM
    I think you can reset the timer so it might not tell you anything, but I think most people are too lazy to bother resetting it. Let us know how you like your new phone and make sure to participate in the forums I mentioned. There are some Russian guys active in hacking and firmware cooking, you can find them on the forums.

As far as identifying where the phone is built, it's always stamped inside the battery bay and the IMEI should match the box, which also has the location it was made in.

Also make sure to install jbak taskman rc18, it's the best task manager and tool for Nokia. You can find it at ���� ���� ��������
    02-24-10 06:22 AM
    @Greenberg: Nokia E72 isn't manufactured in Finland. Actually most Nokia phones are not, are you sure you ordered a genuine Nokia? Only select Nokia phones are built in Finland.
    02-24-10 06:24 AM
    Are you sure about that? I had several indications the E72 was built in Finland (among other locations) but I can't prove it at the moment. I'll
    look around again.

Edit:

I believe they are made in Finland. Here's what I found:

Here's an ebay listing which shows the inside sticker, looks pretty good:

Gen New Nokia E72 Silver Black Unlocked/Made in Finland on eBay (end time 08-Jan-10 15:50:47 GMT)

And here's a thread where a guy in France says he has one:

Nokia Support Discussions - Re: Nokia E72 Build Quality - Nokia Support Discussions

Here's a blog post, also showing the sticker Nokia E72 Initial Thoughts and Picture Gallery | Not Another Mobile Phone Blog
    Last edited by F0nage; 02-24-10 at 07:05 AM.
    02-24-10 06:51 AM
    Review samples are almost always made in Finland. For the Nokia E72 however it is extremely rare that it has been built in Finland.
    02-24-10 07:08 AM
    E72 is a premium device, it's Nokia's business flagship handset.

Based on the one statement you just mentioned, you cannot conclude anything about the E72. Now if he specifically told you something about the E72, you should have mentioned it. Otherwise, you jumped to an incorrect conclusion.

Check the links I posted. The E72 is certainly made in Finland, among other locations.

Not only is there a review sample, but other people in France and Sweden who mentioned on support.nokia.com that they have an E72 made in Finland. Plus I think it's unreasonable to claim that review samples are made in a factory that doesn't typically build the phone. Where are they going to get the tooling from? Review samples come from a factory that has the tooling, and is best for the purpose.
    Last edited by F0nage; 02-24-10 at 07:14 AM.
    02-24-10 07:09 AM
    I cleared my post as I got confirmation that an early batch was indeed made in Finland. Current Nokia E72 phones however, that are sold in the market, are not anymore made in Finland. That is where I drew my conclusion from.
    02-24-10 07:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD