04-14-08 09:21 AM
38 12
tools
    I have a question that I want to ask people.

Why spend the money on something that you just want to text on?

I've taken calls were people are having issues with texting, I know this is a common issue. I look at there account and notice no BB data plan. I tell them this and they tell me that they have been texting before. I go back to there account and look at the notes. The previous rep provisioned them for texting. Basically they add the data plan/save then remove the data plan/save. This will provision the BB with texting until the battery is pulled or the signal gets lost. I explain this to the customer, and there okay with that and want it done again. i explain that it can't be done anymore due to the new simply everything plans don't allow provisioning like this. They get mad and hangup. They call back and get another rep. That rep tells them the same thing that I did. They hangup, and call back. For some reason I get them again. I explain to them that in order for the BB to work and be worth the money spent on it you need to get the data plan. Then after 20 or so minutes waiting for them to decide they refuse and want to be reimburst for no texting.

Some customers get the data plan and are excited at what they get. Others don't and get angry cus they spent hundreds of dollars on a device they don't need. I hear well I don't want all the extra stuff, I just want to text. Honestly if you don't know what a blakcberry is or what it entails to own and operate one DON'T BUY ONE. It makes no sense to buy one just for texting. So if you have a BB with no data plan and wondering why you can't txt, well you have wasted your money and the time of people that you want to fix it for you. If you refuse the data plan and think your gonna get texting well good luck, go buy a flip phone.

Hope this didn't offend anyone. This is coming from a onwer/user of a BB, and a CS rep trying to help people out.
    04-13-08 12:22 PM
    I know some people who don't have the data plan because they don't want to pay for it. They just enjoy the convenience of texting on a full keyboard. Mmmm, I didn't know you couldn't text w/out a BB data plan on Verizon.

Then there's people who's lives are incomplete without their BB (all of us, myself included). I know that my BB practically runs my life. I'm constantly emailing work, texting, on the phone, & etc.

In my opinion, the monthly data plan is a worthwhile investment, especially on a device like the BB.

I guess, to each their own..
    04-13-08 12:33 PM
    i would rather text on a full keyboard then t9. there are some people that text over 10,000 a month.
    04-13-08 12:36 PM
    I know some people who don't have the data plan because they don't want to pay for it. They just enjoy the convenience of texting on a full keyboard. Mmmm, I didn't know you couldn't text w/out a BB data plan on Verizon.

Then there's people who's lives are incomplete without their BB (all of us, myself included). I know that my BB practically runs my life. I'm constantly emailing work, texting, on the phone, & etc.

In my opinion, the monthly data plan is a worthwhile investment, especially on a device like the BB.

I guess, to each their own..
    I agree, getting a data plan will open your world to different things. I used a flip phone before my BB. I was able to get emails and surf the net, but it wasn't as nice and simple as a BB. To me though lets say spending $300 on phone and not using it to it's full potetial is ridiculous. But like you said to each there own.
    04-13-08 12:38 PM
    i would rather text on a full keyboard then t9. there are some people that text over 10,000 a month.
    That's fine, but there are other phone out there that have full keyboards that aren't BB's. See rim wants every BB to have a data plan and that's where it's moving to.
    04-13-08 12:40 PM
    There are other non-smartphones that have QWERTY...not sure why you wouldn't get one of those if you didn't want to the data plan and only wanted to text... When I first wanted my treo, the vzw rep made sure I knew about data...then with the pearl, I already had it...
    04-13-08 12:40 PM
    There are other non-smartphones that have QWERTY...not sure why you wouldn't get one of those if you didn't want to the data plan and only wanted to text... When I first wanted my treo, the vzw rep made sure I knew about data...then with the pearl, I already had it...
    That's what pisses me off too. Alot of sales reps screw people into getting BB's. I've had to apologize to so many people because they were given BS info, and were told they could text on a BB with just a text plan. I feel bad for some people. I've actually turned in a sales rep to sprint because I got calls from about 6 of his customers in one day that bought BB's and couldn't do anything. Basically the sprint rep sold them BB's and gave them a text plan that doesn't work. While all the same making a large commision from the sales. It's a shame when they do that, and it happens alot.
    04-13-08 12:45 PM
    That's what pisses me off too. Alot of sales reps screw people into getting BB's. I've had to apologize to so many people because they were given BS info, and were told they could text on a BB with just a text plan. I feel bad for some people. I've actually turned in a sales rep to sprint because I got calls from about 6 of his customers in one day that bought BB's and couldn't do anything. Basically the sprint rep sold them BB's and gave them a text plan that doesn't work. While all the same making a large commision from the sales. It's a shame when they do that, and it happens alot.
    Wow, that does suck! I had no idea that you couldn't text w/ out a data plan.. since this is my first BB.

It's definitely a shame that the reps who are supposed to help you, screw you over. It's nice to see someone looking out for the interest of the customer Cappin!
    04-13-08 12:50 PM
    QWERTY texting - why get a BlackBerry?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-13-08 12:56 PM
    Alot of sales reps screw people into getting BB's.
    I've seen this a lot. It's funny when you see someone with a new BB and you ask them why they got a BB and they tell you they liked the way it looked or some sales person sold them on it without really explaining why someone would need/want a BB.

It's good to increase RIM's sales, but the facts are that some people would simply do better with a Nokia or a Motorola.
    04-13-08 12:59 PM
    I've seen this a lot. It's funny when you see someone with a new BB and you ask them why they got a BB and they tell you they liked the way it looked or some sales person sold them on it without really explaining why someone would need/want a BB.

It's good to increase RIM's sales, but the facts are that some people would simply do better with a Nokia or a Motorola.
    Exactly, I'd love to be able to ask people why they got a BB. I'd get that same response. "it looks cool" or "the rep said this is the best device for texting"
    04-13-08 01:02 PM
    i disagree, if i am reading this right then people who have data plans and get sms / mms are paying twice for the same service.
    04-13-08 01:11 PM
    They don't sound like the brightest bulbs.

The way I was sold on a Berry was...I had been thinking about switching to a PDA for years, and I was convinced it would make my life easier. One day my old phone was falling apart, and Sprint made a survey call, in an apparent attempt to shore up their shoddy customer service.

Basically it went like this:

Me: "Your reception is pretty terrible, actually."
    Rep: "You're probably due for a new phone. We have lots of free ones."
    Me: "How about a Blackberry?"
    Rep: "Ok, which one?"
    Me: "The little one."
    Rep: "Ok."

And that was that...it has made things much easier, and enabled me to dump Comcast. I intend to have a long string of Berries after this one.
    04-13-08 01:21 PM
    I saw an example of this when i when to my local vzw store to upgrade to my new blackberry. While i was waiting (i wasnt doing much looking around because i already knew what i was there for) I did a bit of people watching and observed a vzw rep talk to a kid and who appeard to be his grandmother. i listened as he talked the grandmother into getting her grandson (could not have been any older than a freshman in highschool) a brand new pearl including the data plan. now i could be wrong but i just couldnt see this kid using this new phone as most of us do. and i just thought it was a shame, i realize too that this wasnt the 'most expensive' option that the rep could have talked the two into, but most likely not the smartest option for the kid and his grandmother. I still wish that i would have had the opportunity to say something.
    04-13-08 01:22 PM
    i disagree, if i am reading this right then people who have data plans and get sms / mms are paying twice for the same service.
    Nope most data plans txt messaging is included. I know for instance the data plans for sprint work that way.
    04-13-08 01:41 PM
    Nope most data plans txt messaging is included. I know for instance the data plans for sprint work that way.
    my vz phone was 109 month 2 lines, 30 for bis, .20cents per txt msg. you are wrong. i have bills to show this. i never took a txt plan and its pay as you go.
    04-13-08 01:45 PM
    This likely happens as a result of customers cancelling their BB Plan, after the minimum period, and then they "discover" they can still text. Then, they suddenly feel like that is part of their service plan, when it isn't, or think they can manipulate to get it.

Problem is, that often if they just keep calling and eventully get a rep that does it for them.

Just point out the service plan offerings, and ask them which one they want. =)

Patrick
    04-13-08 01:48 PM
    I believe in data plans... Lotta people say its a total rip but I feel why go buy a pool if you don't wanna fill it with water? (with the exception of skaters) ya know? I buy a smart phone I pay for the plan I use it to the fullest....

04-13-08 01:48 PM
    my vz phone was 109 month 2 lines, 30 for bis, .20cents per txt msg. you are wrong. i have bills to show this. i never took a txt plan and its pay as you go.
    Hmm, I got a vz BB and I have a data plan and txt is included. Like I said though not all plans have txting included. So i'm not really wrong. Plans are different and people get different plans. I got bills to show for this to. I can scan them and post if you want to see them.
    04-13-08 02:24 PM
    again txt messages are independent of a data plan, my att phone 99 unlimited calling, 30 bis, .20cents a txt, i did not take a txt msg plan but i also don't need a data plan to use txt msgs, since even my clam shell verizon phone which has no data on it, can get/send txt mgs per .20cents. now i can sign up to a txt plan 5 bux with att for 200 txt or 20 for unlimited but this whole thing is separate from data. if i needed a data plan to send / receive txt msgs then i am getting billed twice and a lawsuit. which is not the case and point.

you can have a txt plan independent off a data plan since they use different methods of send / receive.
    04-13-08 02:35 PM
    Texting might be included, but not necessarily unlimited...

And for the dumbies gettin a BB cus a sales rep "talked them into it": can u not think for urself?? 5 minutes on the net would give you all the education u need on all the phone options out there, plus the fact that (shocker) BB is not the only one with a qwerty!

That being said, I love my BB and use every fuction/feature/ability on it...shame on people who just use it to look cool but don't understand what its really worth (losers!)

E

04-13-08 03:02 PM
    again txt messages are independent of a data plan, my att phone 99 unlimited calling, 30 bis, .20cents a txt, i did not take a txt msg plan but i also don't need a data plan to use txt msgs, since even my clam shell verizon phone which has no data on it, can get/send txt mgs per .20cents. now i can sign up to a txt plan 5 bux with att for 200 txt or 20 for unlimited but this whole thing is separate from data. if i needed a data plan to send / receive txt msgs then i am getting billed twice and a lawsuit. which is not the case and point.

you can have a txt plan independent off a data plan since they use different methods of send / receive.
    In the simply everything plan from sprint, txting is included in the plan. It depends on the carrier and the plan. So i'm not wrong and not all the time are txt messaging independent of a data plan. Sometimes yes, but not everytime. Don't beleive me research the simply everything plan it comes with unlimited texting and it's included and can only get it with the dataplan. And also txt messages use the same method that data uses on the BB's.

Activate a BB with only voice and then just get a text plan. I guarentee you that they will add then delete the data plan to provision you. You will be able to text until you shut it off or the signal is lost. For one this is how rim wants it to be.
    Last edited by CappinHoff; 04-13-08 at 03:22 PM.
    04-13-08 03:15 PM
    i don't see your point one bit, your forcing people to pay more then what they want to just cause everything is included? 50 bux sprint plan 450 min unlimited txtin. thats a whopping saving for people who are more active in sms then phone, so i have to spend 600 dollars a year more just to hear you complain over what your company offers? i'm confused now

here from sprint site,

Text, share, send and talk your heart out with your phone.
    This plan includes

* Unlimited messaging: Text, pictures, video
    * Domestic long distance and roaming
    * 900/450 plans: Unlimited mobile to mobile, night calling starting at 7 p.m. and weekends

450 $49.99 why do i need to shell out double this for sms? pls enlighten me

again you are wrong. data plans are not needed for sms. heck sms is older then data plans.

again while a berry is better with a data package, some might want it to sms, just cause their is no sms only phone besides a skidekick which is horrible.

i still fail to see your point, all i read is a cs rant....
    04-13-08 03:27 PM
    i don't see your point one bit, your forcing people to pay more then what they want to just cause everything is included? 50 bux sprint plan 450 min unlimited txtin. thats a whopping saving for people who are more active in sms then phone, so i have to spend 600 dollars a year more just to hear you complain over what your company offers? i'm confused now

here from sprint site,

Text, share, send and talk your heart out with your phone.
    This plan includes

* Unlimited messaging: Text, pictures, video
    * Domestic long distance and roaming
    * 900/450 plans: Unlimited mobile to mobile, night calling starting at 7 p.m. and weekends

450 $49.99 why do i need to shell out double this for sms? pls enlighten me

again you are wrong. data plans are not needed for sms. heck sms is older then data plans.

again while a berry is better with a data package, some might want it to sms, just cause their is no sms only phone besides a skidekick which is horrible.

i still fail to see your point, all i read is a cs rant....
    Wow all i see is a person who can't read or grasp an understanding. the Simply Everything Plan from sprint for 99.99 comes with...

Unlimited Voice
    Unlimited web
    Unlimited texting
    Unlimited telenav
    Unlimited sprint tv
    and many other things.

And yes for BB's on some carriers the data plan is needed to text. And with this as in sprints case the data plan includes txting so you dont have to have an extra texting plan.

The 39.99 data plan comes with unlimited txting. So does every other data plan they offer.

Now i never did say that every carrier that in order to get txting on a BB you need a data plan, but for sprint/nextel you do. That is how it's setup and that is how rim wants it. You can argue all you want. I see this everyday. people call and can't text, I look at the account and no data plan. Again for sprint/nextel you do need a data plan to text. And others it's the same way.

I think you need to read the whole thread and read it word for word. Your skimming through and adding words and phrases that i didn't even say.

And yes this is a CS rant, so customers get to rant. Remember I'm a cellphone user too.
    04-13-08 03:44 PM
    and people wonder why sprint is going under.
    04-13-08 03:47 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD