What is the difference between all those ways to update an os?

My carrier doesnt in the list of carriers in the website, they also dont have a new update to 8900 since 4.6.1.199.

Can I update the device with wireless update or Online update (who updated to 5.0) and to get the same result? will my apps/massages/contacts/calendar will be gone after update?

Thank!
    05-04-10 03:20 AM
    You're probably not going to be able to update wirelessly for two reasons. First, your carrier has to release a new official OS (in this case 5.0 since that's what you're talking about) in order for you to download it wirelessly to your handset. Secondly, I don't know if the 8900 supports wireless updating. It may support it, but unless you were connected via WiFi it would take quite some time for the update to download.

You can update your device using DM. You'll have to download a different carrier's release of 5.0 onto your desktop, delete the vendor.xml file, and then proceed with loading the new OS. Here's a link to the "sticky" thread in the 8900 forum regarding the newest 5.0 for your device.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f100/ne...hellas-450132/
    Select the download link to download it to your PC.

If you do the update, make sure that you choose to back up your device data prior to doing the update. There is an option to do this in DM prior to starting the new load procedure. If you do the backup than all of your information will be loaded automatically onto your device after the new OS is loaded, so you won't loose a thing.
    05-04-10 07:34 AM
    oh i see, so thats why its still telling me that i have the latest os on my device even tought there is a newer one on the website. its kind of mess because my carrier says that they dont support on the update via website/wireless and they and they dont know when an update will be availble. so one voice telling me to do it like my carrier support which mean wait and do that through their service and the other one wants to be update anyway. i dont want to loose my warranty or something because of that.
    05-04-10 07:54 AM
    Yeah, there is the risk that if you are still in the manufacturers warrenty period that if you load an unofficial OS onto your device and then the screen blows up, that it wouldn't be covered because you're running a different carrier's OS on the device...
    I've never heard of anyone running into an issue though...
    05-04-10 08:41 AM
    so waiting is the best thing to do ah? =\
    05-04-10 08:48 AM
    Well, that's sort of up to you. I mean, of course the safest thing to do would be to wait until the warranty expires, however, I've never heard about an OS on a device causing an issue that couldn't be resolved somehow without having to make any kind of warranty claim. Now, I don't know if you were to make some sort of claim and then they pull up the OS version, if it's not the official I don't know what exactly they would do...
    05-04-10 09:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD