I have a motorola sb5101 cable modem(on all the time) in my home. Can I buy a wifi router and run an 8320 and browse the web? I have a data plan but is there any other fees or just the one time price of the router?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-22-08 10:50 PM
    You just need a device to handle wi-fi and router as well. No other charges to run wi-fi.
    04-22-08 10:53 PM
    Suggest a company that makes a decent router for this.......

04-22-08 10:58 PM
    I have had decent luck with Linksys but maybe a good idea to get other opinions as well or even start a new thread about a preferred router. Even though I have wi-fi on my 8820, I still rarely use it.
    04-22-08 11:05 PM
    Sounds like a hassle to connect via wifi....probably just stay with what I got its fast enough for me. Thanks for the responses!!!

04-22-08 11:07 PM
    Its not a hassle to connect to wi-fi. If you have your settings set to on within your BB, it will automatically connect when you get home but my internet speed is not the fastest at home so it really does not make any difference in speed to me. I have connected to other Linksys routers where the speed was incredible. Probably because their interent speed was great.
    04-22-08 11:11 PM
    Linksys is the brand that T-mobile sells for use with their Hotspot at home service. I also currently have a Linksys. WRT54GL to be exact. I like this model because I could install a third party firmware on it and gain access to more features.
    04-22-08 11:12 PM
    3rd party firmware only works on older versions of the router.. the newer versions have less flash memory to keep people from using those 3rd party firmwares and unlocking features they charge a lot more for :-(

as far as blackberry9999's scenario, garz is right.. once u connect to a router using WiFi is extremely simple and the speed will depend on the internet connection. One thing to keep in mind is that most apps will not work with WiFi alone.. you will need a data plan to take advantage of them. I am using an 8320 with no data plan.. its cool to browse on it when I can connect to WiFi.. but without data I miss most of the cool features of my berry! UMA calling seems like it would be nice... but in US, u need T-Mobile
    04-23-08 10:41 PM
    3rd party firmware only works on older versions of the router.. the newer versions have less flash memory to keep people from using those 3rd party firmwares and unlocking features they charge a lot more for :-(
    That's why I got the GL model.
    04-23-08 11:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD