Just got windows 8 PC. Although it seems that it might have more features the learning curve is horrible and I am looking to downgrade to Windows 7 for simplicity and not wanting to learn a new UI.
    That made me think maybe core BB07 users find BB10 confusing. I like BB10 but quarter after quarter sales number have spoken for BB07...some of it could be high price of BB10 but it's definitely a big leap in terms of learning curve that most people don't want to jump to.

Posted via CB10
    03-29-14 02:14 PM
    More like windows XP vs Vista... based on the public's refusal to upgrade from XP to vista, and forcing OEMs to keep building XP machines until right about when windows 7 was released.

Windows 8 is alright, as long as you have a touch screen to get the most out of it.

Posted via CB10
    Laura Knotek and JeepBB like this.
    03-29-14 02:26 PM
    Good analogy. I think this is part of the reason for iPhones' continuing success. They make small iterative changes over a long time rather than sudden sweeping changes that make you relearn everything at once. If BBOS 7 had progressed into BB10 slowly over a few years, with smaller changes, I think it would be much more popular today. BB10 is a great OS, but it is a bit confusing at first. There is a lot of muscle memory that suddenly becomes useless when everything changes at once.

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums mobile app
    03-29-14 02:30 PM
    If you prefer Windows 7, download Classic Shell. I used that until 8.1 got released and it made life easier. I decided after 8.1 to spend some time trying to learn the new OS and have now since deleted the program and have settled in quite nicely.

Posted via CB10
    03-29-14 02:40 PM
    More like windows XP vs Vista... based on the public's refusal to upgrade from XP to vista, and forcing OEMs to keep building XP machines until right about when windows 7 was released.

Windows 8 is alright, as long as you have a touch screen to get the most out of it.

Posted via CB10
    I dunno about that. OEMs kept building XP devices because Vista was just plain garbage. Windows 7 was accepted because it was actually competent and reliable.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Laura Knotek and JeepBB like this.
    03-29-14 02:42 PM
    I dunno about that. OEMs kept building XP devices because Vista was just plain garbage. Windows 7 was accepted because it was actually competent and reliable.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Yeah you're right... as bad as BB10 is for some, it doesn't deserve to be equated to Vista... ME maybe? lol jk

Posted via CB10
    03-29-14 02:49 PM
    I have no issues whatsoever with Win 8, and my windows experience goes back to Win 95.
    03-29-14 05:25 PM
    Since you can set w8 to boot directly to desktop and never interact with metro - I would say no.

sent from my bright red Nexus 5
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-29-14 05:28 PM
    I personally wouldn't agree with this comparison because I think BB10 is a good OS and it is very easy to use once you learn the gestures and basics of the OS. I've used iOS, Android, WP7, WP8 and I think BB10 is a very capable OS as long as BlackBerry updates it and addresses bugs (and the poor oversight in BlackBerry World but that is a topic for another time) whereas Windows 8 is the worst OS I have ever used because it makes no sense for classic desktop users who don't have touchscreens. I am very tech savvy and I find myself Googling the location of basic system menus that I could easily find in earlier iterations. I think BB's problem with OS10 is 1) people may not be aware of the new capabilities of OS10 re: apps and overall performance and pass BlackBerry over because they still expect poor app support and the hourglass; 2) older individuals who originally began using BlackBerry for business are hesitant to move to the newer OS because they don't have the time or interest to relearn the basics to use the phone - they need something they can pick up and use quickly.

Posted via CB10
    03-29-14 05:43 PM
    Yeah you're right... as bad as BB10 is for some, it doesn't deserve to be equated to Vista... ME maybe? lol jk
    ME was WAY worse than Vista! Most of Vista's issues were corrected in SP1, but ME was unfixable, because it was a complete hack to begin with that was never really deserving of a release. In fact, the only reason it was released is because Win98SE had a 512MB memory limit but RAM prices had fallen and RAM usage had grown radically in a short amount of time, and many computers of the era were capable of using 2GB of RAM but couldn't with Win98. Until Win2000 was released, WinME was the only reasonable option, and a poor option it was.
    AnimalPak200 and Laura Knotek like this.
    03-29-14 05:57 PM
    No id say more like Windows 8 and Windows XP

Posted via CB10
    03-29-14 05:58 PM
    ME was WAY worse than Vista! Most of Vista's issues were corrected in SP1, but ME was unfixable, because it was a complete hack to begin with that was never really deserving of a release. In fact, the only reason it was released is because Win98SE had a 512MB memory limit but RAM prices had fallen and RAM usage had grown radically in a short amount of time, and many computers of the era were capable of using 2GB of RAM but couldn't with Win98. Until Win2000 was released, WinME was the only reasonable option, and a poor option it was.
    I know... unfortunately... lol
    03-29-14 07:06 PM
    Well, considering how Windows 8/8.1 has sold over 200 million licenses and is gaining some serious developer support with some pretty major apps and how no one (except Google and Apple fans on the internet) proclaims that "Windows 8 is dead"..... nah, I don't think so.
    03-29-14 11:47 PM
    Well, considering how Windows 8/8.1 has sold over 200 million licenses and is gaining some serious developer support with some pretty major apps and how no one (except Google and Apple fans on the internet) proclaims that "Windows 8 is dead"..... nah, I don't think so.
    That does sound like a lot, but really Windows 8 only just recently passed OSX in terms of market share. And that's not such a big achievement in the Windows world, especially when it's been out for so long already. I think that's what those Google and Apple fans mean.

It's also worth noting that Apple completely dominates in it's niche. It controls 90% of laptops/desktops above $900. It's the same picture with mobile phones, their high end products are constantly being grouped up with products they aren't even competing with.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-14 12:07 AM
    That does sound like a lot, but really Windows 8 only just recently passed OSX in terms of market share. And that's not such a big achievement in the Windows world, especially when it's been out for so long already. I think that's what those Google and Apple fans mean.

It's also worth noting that Apple completely dominates in it's niche. It controls 90% of laptops/desktops above $900. It's the same picture with mobile phones, their high end products are constantly being grouped up with products they aren't even competing with.

Posted via CB10

Are you sure of the market share? Last time I saw numbers, OS X had ~5% market share, while Windows 8 has ~11%. Although, to Google and Apple fans, it could have 50% and it would still be a failure.

Agree on the rest.

Sent from my RM-821_eu_france_267 using Tapatalk
    03-30-14 12:35 PM
    No id say more like Windows 8 and Windows XP

Posted via CB10
    Actually, more like Windows 8 and Windows 3.1.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-14 05:56 PM