Windows 8 might be a worse upgrade than Vista was back when it released. the new UI/UX is inconsistent, confusing, and reduces productivity. Getting rid of the start menu for non-touch PCs is several steps back. And Microsoft did it just so that it can force users into metro and get more developers to develop for it's metro app store. Clever except that Windows 8 is soooo bad that most PCs will probably avoid it all together.

And if you think I'm an Apple fanboy, you couldn't be more wrong. In fact, I usually jump on new windows releases the day they come out. I refuse to leave Windows for the same reason I refuse to leave BlackBerry, I value function over form. But with Windows 8, it's clear that Microsoft tried to put form over function, and failed miserably at it. I can't see this OS useful for any use beyond tablets. Definitely not upgrading from Windows 7.

If this is all Microsoft has to show for windows 8 and WP8 then RIM has a really good chance at making a come back. BB10 seems more promising and exciting so far.
    I guess you haven't been on BestBuy's (or any retailers websites) or you would know that every new machine comes with Windows 8. Having been in a BestBuy today to pick something up, there were also only two crowds in the store: the usual small crowd around the iPads and the larger crowd around the Windows 8 laptops. No one was exclaiming horror, and anyone looking at the Lenovo Yoga or a couple other hybrid touch laptops was seriously impressed. FWIW, anyone who cannot be up and running in Windows 8 within an hour has other problems they need to address. The ONLY essential changes between Windows 7 and Windows 8 are that the start button has been replaced by a start screen that can include not just applications but all sorts of other information, and the power button is not obvious because the devices are not meant to be turned off. The Windows 7 style desktop is otherwise IDENTICAL to that in Windows 7 and all of the conventions such as snap and shake are exactly the same. What you get with Windows 8 is a great start screen that is extremely mouse friendly; the ability to start any app or find any file by just starting to type the first few letters; enhanced power management and battery life; and a super efficient kernel that will run on just about anything and is the same across all of their OSs (phone and tablet included) and performance enhancement to go along with the new kernel. This is all with an OS where you won't notice a single difference in how your desktop (or desktop applications) look and function. BTW, perhaps you also weren't aware that Microsoft had Apple style lines at its stores yesterday for the launch of the Surface RT tablets and the online store is on three week backorder. Oh, you might also want to take a look at WP8 and the current information for BB10. You might then pick up on the fact that BB10 looks a lot more like WP8 than it does anything else....
    ryzama likes this.
    10-28-12 02:14 AM
    Really? What were the sales numbers?

Your next line is really odd....a "good buzz despite the negative from the tech pundits". LOL! Good buzz among....non-tech pundits?
    I too am curious about the sales numbers, but what really will interest me is the return rate after people figure out that it's not what they thought it was.
    10-28-12 02:23 AM
    While I agree that Metro was created as a touch interface, it is still surprisingly usable on a desktop. Finding that top-left corner makes a big difference.
    sashlon and pantlesspenguin like this.
    10-28-12 02:45 AM
    Windows 8 is fine. I don't see users having any major problems adjusting.

They did make one major mistake, however, and it's going to hurt them in the mobile space. They walled-off "Metro" apps.

That might not have been a major issue in the mobile space right now, but it's a big deal on the desktop. I won't even get started on the headache that businesses ... well ... see for yourself

Needless to say, while I'm very attracted to the platform, I will not be developing Metro-style apps on principle. Microsoft has generally been good to developers, and I've enjoyed using their tools to produce apps for platforms like PocketPC. That history, however, doesn't buy them enough loyalty for me to overlook something this dangerous to personal computing.

I'm a bit flustered just thinking about this. Most of the news talks about how it's bad for game developers, but the same arguments apply for development in general, so I'll pass along this. (If someone has a better article, please post it.)

To the negative Nancys: Yes, I know. RIM annoyed me a bit when they decided I could no longer install an app by just clicking a link in the browser. I'm much more forgiving when it comes to mobile right now, and they still have a fairly simple process to let me side-load apps that doesn't require a special version of their OS and other ridiculous requirements.
    10-28-12 03:08 AM
    Windows 8 is fine. I don't see users having any major problems adjusting.

They did make one major mistake, however, and it's going to hurt them in the mobile space. They walled-off "Metro" apps.

That might not have been a major issue in the mobile space right now, but it's a big deal on the desktop. I won't even get started on the headache that businesses ... well ... see for yourself

Needless to say, while I'm very attracted to the platform, I will not be developing Metro-style apps on principle. Microsoft has generally been good to developers, and I've enjoyed using their tools to produce apps for platforms like PocketPC. That history, however, doesn't buy them enough loyalty for me to overlook something this dangerous to personal computing.

I'm a bit flustered just thinking about this. Most of the news talks about how it's bad for game developers, but the same arguments apply for development in general, so I'll pass along this. (If someone has a better article, please post it.)

To the negative Nancys: Yes, I know. RIM annoyed me a bit when they decided I could no longer install an app by just clicking a link in the browser. I'm much more forgiving when it comes to mobile right now, and they still have a fairly simple process to let me side-load apps that doesn't require a special version of their OS and other ridiculous requirements.
    Negative Nancys, you can still download apps from the browser, Rim never stopped that.
    10-28-12 03:32 AM
    I too am curious about the sales numbers, but what really will interest me is the return rate after people figure out that it's not what they thought it was.
    dude. I think people will clearly know the difference. that RT has office 2013 installed on every RT tablet. that is how people tell the difference and since Office 2013 is basically a deal breaker for many people
    10-28-12 03:42 AM
    Thanks all! Crackberry forums rock! I love being able to learn about Windows 8 from you guys.
    With WP7, you can "pin to start" basically anything to the start screen, does the same apply for Win 8? Could I "pin to start" all the items I'm working on?
    10-28-12 04:43 AM
    Thanks all! Crackberry forums rock! I love being able to learn about Windows 8 from you guys.
    With WP7, you can "pin to start" basically anything to the start screen, does the same apply for Win 8? Could I "pin to start" all the items I'm working on?
    yes it does
    10-28-12 04:47 AM
    I have a Samsung Ativ SmartPC and Windows 8 installed on my desktop. I think on desktop it's perfectly fine to get used to.

I went my local tech store and there was a massive crowd in the Windows 8 section. most of them are around the tablets. most of them are looking at the aspire S7 and Ativ SmartPC
    10-28-12 04:59 AM
    M$ are nearer to dominate desktop and mobile environment, which are converging rapidly. Product market domination is not really a good thing.

RIM bring BB10/QnX to the desktop environment (x86) under Amiga brand.
    Heliogabalus likes this.
    10-28-12 06:08 AM
    LOL. Those you will never ever ever know. It's like when MS touted xbox's "sold"....they didn't like to mention that a lot of people were on their 2nd, 3rd, and sometimes 5th xbox due to the red ring of death!

Most of the returns will come later anyways. This is the initial wave of fanboys....it will be later when more "average" people buy that the confusion will become more of a problem!
    10-28-12 06:37 AM
    Out of topic, xbox is big @ NAM. Not in Europe (even considering it is cheaper than ps3) or most parts of the world, so it is not a global sucesso.
    10-28-12 06:49 AM
    Windows 8 is Windows 7, instead of a start bar you get a start screen full of tiles that eat up your ram. 90 percent of the tiles you click take you back into desktop mode. Its extra work for the same intentions, but what can you do?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    This is incorrect. The vast majority of Metro tiles have nothing to do with the desktop.

Also, Windows 8 is FAR more forgiving on ram than Windows 7.
    10-28-12 06:49 AM
    I don't find Windows 8 bad at all. Its so easy and fast to switch to Win 7 mode if you dislike the Metro look (which I don't mind). My main annoyance is the bezel gestures--they are good but i'm just waiting to hear people say how bb10 "stole bezel gestures from windows 8" :/ ughh...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    10-28-12 07:18 AM
    I switched both my desktop and laptop already. I'm coming from Vista but I've never had a problem with that either. I just wanted a better experience between my pcs in the house and this gives it to me. I love the active tiles. Having the basic information right there without having to click on it is very handy. I can see how this will be a smooth experience for WP8 and Surface users. It seems like a very smooth transitional system.
    10-28-12 07:21 AM
    I think windows 8 family is pretty confusing. not as simple as apple or blackberry system. microsoft trying to please everyone by keeping legacy support will casue confusion.

Sent from Blackberry Playbook using TapaTalk 2
    Are you kidding?
    Stripping out legacy support from Windows 8 would be one way for microsoft to commit seppuku.
    Roo Zilla likes this.
    10-28-12 08:01 AM
    Judging by this poorly edited post, I am not surprised you were unable to find the "start button" and consider it "buried". Can we expect a similar fiasco with B10 with you being unable to navigate to the inbox? Maybe you will turn the iphone too?
    I said "when i saw how MSFT removed the start button & buried desktop inside metro" NOT start button buried

Um...you...you DO know that the Search button is essentially the start button now, right? And from there, oh look, there's the desktop feature which you can also put on the start screen if you so choose. And I think the expression you're looking for is KICK @$$, not KISS @$$.
    Yeah my bad, i meant kick not kiss
    I never mentioned "search"
    10-28-12 09:27 AM
    dude. I think people will clearly know the difference. that RT has office 2013 installed on every RT tablet. that is how people tell the difference and since Office 2013 is basically a deal breaker for many people
    And my point is proven. Its actually 2013 Home and Student for WIn8 RT, which is a dumbed down or limited version of Big Boy Office.

Again, I am curious as to how many people will be returning their RT surface due to confusion about what it actually is.
    10-28-12 09:39 AM
    Windows 8 might be a worse upgrade than Vista was back when it released. the new UI/UX is inconsistent, confusing, and reduces productivity. Getting rid of the start menu for non-touch PCs is several steps back. And Microsoft did it just so that it can force users into metro and get more developers to develop for it's metro app store. Clever except that Windows 8 is soooo bad that most PCs will probably avoid it all together.

And if you think I'm an Apple fanboy, you couldn't be more wrong. In fact, I usually jump on new windows releases the day they come out. I refuse to leave Windows for the same reason I refuse to leave BlackBerry, I value function over form. But with Windows 8, it's clear that Microsoft tried to put form over function, and failed miserably at it. I can't see this OS useful for any use beyond tablets. Definitely not upgrading from Windows 7.

If this is all Microsoft has to show for windows 8 and WP8 then RIM has a really good chance at making a come back. BB10 seems more promising and exciting so far.
    Troll post.

1) I am yet to see any NEGATIVE review for Windows 8 from any frontline tech reviewer. Arstechnica, Anandtech, Engadget, theVerge....pretty much everyone says Windows 8 is either 'awesome' or 'very good'.

2) Most PC users will either have Windows 8 installed by default in new computers...or will update due to the low upgrade pricing. Only the close minded are avoiding Windows 8 for now...and that number will whittle down. 99% of the complaints targeted at Vista were due to performance issue. Windows 8 performs visibly better than the very well received Windows 7. No issues.

3) The reason why I can call you a troll with ease is because you try to rope in WP8 in your scaremongering article. Microsoft has not yet launched WP8 or detailed many of the new features. Also, I cannot see how the success of Windows 8 affects RIM's chances...your last sentence makes a convincing case that you just aren't very bright at all.
    10-28-12 09:39 AM
    Out of topic, xbox is big @ NAM. Not in Europe (even considering it is cheaper than ps3) or most parts of the world, so it is not a global sucesso.
    Its been the top selling console in America for a while now and is probably the most popular out of the big three. Its not as big in europe (though it does decently). However that could change with the next xbox hitting next year.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2
    10-28-12 09:40 AM
    You guys need to learn to separate Metro from Desktop mode in your thinking.
    Gabe Newell is unhappy with Metro and the Windows Store because he's thinking with his stomach...he fears the negative effect the pre-installed marketplace would have on his Steam service.
    Game developers can continue to make games for the DEsktop mode...and folks will be able to purchase and play them on the desktop.

Why do you expect Microsoft not to use the 'walled garden' approach? You expect them to give up on the revenue from the Store?
    For those who like Sideloading, Desktop Mode still exists.
    10-28-12 09:47 AM
    Also Metro is great for devs as they have a chance to reach a wider audience and can have their game become xbox live enabled. That and microsoft will probably have publishing deals to release one game and mutiple platforms for the amount of one game.

Look at Skulls of the shogun its going to be able to bought on Xbox Live Arcade, Windows store, and Windows Phone store. Not only that but your saves are synched between the three and you can play from any of the versions. That and all Metro games I've played have mutiple control types depending on how your playing (touch, mouse and keyboard, xbox controller)

Microsoft could easily leverage that to get more developer's to develop for its system. Say Gameloft develops NOVA5 and it hits Windows 8,Xbox, and Windows phone all on the same day.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2
    10-28-12 10:07 AM
    Yeah my bad, i meant kick not kiss
    I never mentioned "search"
    I know you didn't. I was bringing it up for you to show that search is essentially the place you go to for all your programs, files, etc.
    10-28-12 10:30 AM
    I disagree. Been using windows 8 since Thursday and I already love it. Installed the synaptic's drivers and have been loving using the whole Microsoft ecosystem. Having all of my documents synch through skydrive (something I was using but not to its full extent due to having XP formerly).

You might already be aware of this but just in case you aren't.. the skydrive metro app doesn't provide full sync - download the skydrive app from the store for the full featured version.
    10-28-12 11:20 AM
    And my point is proven. Its actually 2013 Home and Student for WIn8 RT, which is a dumbed down or limited version of Big Boy Office.

Again, I am curious as to how many people will be returning their RT surface due to confusion about what it actually is.
    Big Boy Office?! Tell me everything you know about this.... I'm reluctant to install anything with his name on it.
    10-28-12 12:15 PM
244 ... 23456 ...