Windows 8 might be a worse upgrade than Vista was back when it released. the new UI/UX is inconsistent, confusing, and reduces productivity. Getting rid of the start menu for non-touch PCs is several steps back. And Microsoft did it just so that it can force users into metro and get more developers to develop for it's metro app store. Clever except that Windows 8 is soooo bad that most PCs will probably avoid it all together.

And if you think I'm an Apple fanboy, you couldn't be more wrong. In fact, I usually jump on new windows releases the day they come out. I refuse to leave Windows for the same reason I refuse to leave BlackBerry, I value function over form. But with Windows 8, it's clear that Microsoft tried to put form over function, and failed miserably at it. I can't see this OS useful for any use beyond tablets. Definitely not upgrading from Windows 7.

If this is all Microsoft has to show for windows 8 and WP8 then RIM has a really good chance at making a come back. BB10 seems more promising and exciting so far.
    Last edited by ClassyBOLD; 10-27-12 at 10:35 AM.
    magutwit and Rickster1 like this.
    10-27-12 10:22 AM
    As far as PCs are concerned, this is not the first time I've heard that... and I heard it before from a software developer friend who's opinion I trust a lot.

For the phone part, it's a natural step from WP7, so I don't really see the problem

Si.
    10-27-12 10:41 AM
    That would be cool if BB10 would be so good that it would demolish the competition.

Sent from my 9810 using...
    amjass12 likes this.
    10-27-12 10:43 AM
    That would be cool if BB10 would be so good that it would demolish the competition.
    Oh, definitely think it's good enough to demolish at least part of the competition But will the consumer see that too and go for BB10, that's a whole other kettle of fish

Si.
    10-27-12 10:46 AM
    I believe MS may be trying to focus on the surface/tablets becoming, as you said, more functional over the ipad, and win8 was the way to get there. With that being said, my son just got a laptop with win 7 on it and refuses to go win 8, sighting the same reasons you pointed out.
    MS needs to have a better mobile approach, although their making a killing with the android licensing, they should take a stake in RIM (not buy them, but support them), bring nokia in to build great hardware and let this baby fly.
    10-27-12 10:50 AM
    I installed it yesterday, figured out the gestures in about 30 seconds and finding the switching between modes very simple. I'm finding it's basically a windows 7 service pack with a handy graphical view. I mostly go down to the bottom left, display the start screen and click on a tile which is a quick way back to the app in desktop mode so I'm really using that like the start button from windows 7. I rearranged the start tile menu into one block with all small tiles, and just the ones I need and use, I can right click and choose all apps to see the rest in tile view.
    Windows 8 is aweful...and if WP8 is just as bad, RIM has a real chance of success-windows8tiles.jpg
    10-27-12 10:58 AM
    Windows 7 & WP 7.5 renewed my faith in Microsoft, but the whole Windows 8 Metro UI for desktops/laptops seems like a bad idea. Heard that you can put in "old school" mode, using the pre Win 8 UI, have you tried that? Is it functional?
    magutwit likes this.
    10-27-12 11:02 AM
    You can use the Windows8 'Desktop' Application to rollback to a more W7 UI.
    10-27-12 11:09 AM
    I found after about and hour or two of getting use to the new UI, I liked it. Not a huge upgrade over 7, just different. Think of the new Start screen as a huge Start menu and you'll be good. And when in doubt, switch over to desktop view. I figured also that the live tiles will give us a rough idea on how they'll work on BB10
    djenkins6 and nano404 like this.
    10-27-12 11:18 AM
    You can't compare BB10 with Windows 8. Windows 8 is a PC, whereas BB10 is just a mobile OS.

Can you run Photoshop on your BB10? Nope. Only on Windows 8.
    10-27-12 11:29 AM
    Shhhh don't let someone looking for an excuse to complain and not willing to give it a chance a logical bit of information they should have sussed out wih about 30 seconds of use.

The OP isn't willing to give it a chance, that much is clear. It was a rant post to bash a RIM competitor by comparing a desktop operating system to an unreleased mobile OS. Clearly two alike things.

Not.

I've got blisters on me fingers!!! from using Tapatalk 2
    10-27-12 11:33 AM
    Except its not a rollback. Its an instant switch to the desktop, actually my desktop was identical to how it was under windows 7 except the start button is gone and you get access to everything by going down to bottom left where the start menu icon appears then click on that to get back to the tile view.
    10-27-12 11:37 AM
    coming from windows Vista , so far i am quite enjoying the windows 8 upgrade. Looked at the new windows tablets and they were quite impressive to me. No complaints Yet.
    Dont forget to try the top right corner Too!
    10-27-12 11:52 AM
    I disagree. Been using windows 8 since Thursday and I already love it. Installed the synaptic's drivers and have been loving using the whole Microsoft ecosystem. Having all of my documents synch through skydrive (something I was using but not to its full extent due to having XP formerly).

10-27-12 11:59 AM
    I haven't actually used Windows 8 yet, but Windows 8 was clearly designed for mobile devices, not desktop computers. Using THE Windows 8 effectively requires a touchscreen display.
    magutwit likes this.
    10-27-12 12:30 PM
    Really? Could anything be worse than Vista? Besides the Millienium Windows. If that is true about 8 than RIM should succeed.
    10-27-12 12:32 PM
    Shhhh don't let someone looking for an excuse to complain and not willing to give it a chance a logical bit of information they should have sussed out wih about 30 seconds of use.

The OP isn't willing to give it a chance, that much is clear. It was a rant post to bash a RIM competitor by comparing a desktop operating system to an unreleased mobile OS. Clearly two alike things.

Not.

I've got blisters on me fingers!!! from using Tapatalk 2
    Agreed 100%

People say he earnest things in these forums. If people were to give BB10 that little a chance and then bash it, they'd defend RIM to no end.

Being able to go back a W7 UI has been a known feature of W8 for awhile now ha
    10-27-12 12:45 PM
    I haven't actually used Windows 8 yet, but Windows 8 was clearly designed for mobile devices, not desktop computers. Using THE Windows 8 effectively requires a touchscreen display.
    Why not save your opinion until you actually use it? I have it on my non-touch laptop and had everything figured out in the time it took to eat a fried egg sandwich. Everything works just fine, it's just different than the past Windows experience.
    kbz1960, esk369, jon4400 and 3 others like this.
    10-27-12 12:56 PM
    Why does it take over an hour to download a 2 Gig file from a high tech company like Microsoft?

Pretty sad. And I was having trouble ordering it earlier today. Wonder if it was my other computer that was the problem or Microsoft's servers.
    10-27-12 01:08 PM
    Windows 8 is aweful,the metro UI is wonderful - for tablets and horrible for us desktop users, when i saw how MSFT removed the start button & buried desktop inside metro, it convinced me to switch to OS X , and could't be happier
    For MSFT & their fanboys it was, with Nokia wp7 would kiss , it didn't, then with Mango it would kiss , it didn't and now WP8 would kiss - i hope it wouldn't for BB 10's sake
    10-27-12 01:09 PM
    Windows 8 is aweful,the metro UI is wonderful - for tablets and horrible for us desktop users, when i saw how MSFT removed the start button & buried desktop inside metro, it convinced me to switch to OS X , and could't be happier
    For MSFT & their fanboys it was, with Nokia wp7 would kiss , it didn't, then with Mango it would kiss , it didn't and now WP8 would kiss - i hope it wouldn't for BB 10's sake
    Judging by this poorly edited post, I am not surprised you were unable to find the "start button" and consider it "buried". Can we expect a similar fiasco with B10 with you being unable to navigate to the inbox? Maybe you will turn the iphone too?
    pantlesspenguin and esk369 like this.
    10-27-12 01:27 PM
    Why does it take over an hour to download a 2 Gig file from a high tech company like Microsoft?

Pretty sad. And I was having trouble ordering it earlier today. Wonder if it was my other computer that was the problem or Microsoft's servers.
    lol, do you have any idea how many people are downloading that same 2gb file right now? 1gb/hour is actually quite the feat...look what happens to Apple when they release a desktop upgrade
    10-27-12 01:30 PM
    For the folks enjoying the windows 8 experience make sure to also get the media centre pack which is free till the end of January. Microsoft sends you an extra product key to enable dvd playback and a few other features.
    jkomo001 and Shanerredflag like this.
    10-27-12 01:32 PM
    Um...you...you DO know that the Search button is essentially the start button now, right? And from there, oh look, there's the desktop feature which you can also put on the start screen if you so choose. And I think the expression you're looking for is KICK @$$, not KISS @$$.
    esk369 likes this.
    10-27-12 01:32 PM
    I disagree, I've tried Windows 8 and it seems rather intuitive even on a non touchscreen laptop. It actually surprised me how easy it was to use and if you already knew your way around Windows & then this will be an absolute breeze to use. It took me maybe a whole minute to know exactly what I was doing and when I got the hang of it I had fun navigating around the UI. The only part I wouldn't find the most useful on a non touch screen is the charms bar, but that gets rarely used.

Now WP8 and Windows RT....that could be another story.
    bitek, pantlesspenguin and esk369 like this.
    10-27-12 01:41 PM
244 123 ...