Had a problem with java, chrome was telling me java wasn't installed. Lots of discussions on this talking about uninstalling, reinstalling java etc, but found it didn't need any of that. Needed to install java-fx and that linked chrome to my already installed java and got it working.
    10-28-12 12:25 PM
    Big Boy Office?! Tell me everything you know about this.... I'm reluctant to install anything with his name on it.
    Yea, Big Boy Office. Real Office. Not starter version, or mobile version, but workstation, desktop, or real laptop version. Mobile office doesn't allow macros, VB, third party add ons, cell merge, workbooks, ect.
    10-28-12 01:02 PM
    I jumped over Vista (XP to Win 7) and glad I did. I really like Win 7 and am NOT eager to leave it. My brand NEW laptop is Win 7 and I'm leaving it it on.
    TL
    10-28-12 01:42 PM
    Negative Nancys, you can still download apps from the browser, Rim never stopped that.
    Give it a try on your PlayBook. You're in for a nasty surprise.
    mikeo007 and howarmat like this.
    10-28-12 01:43 PM
    I don't see anything horribly wrong with Win8 on desktop. In fact, my only gripe is the Metro screen has a few display bugs with a 3-monitor setup. I haven't had the opportunity to peruse a WP8 device outside of photos/videos but it looks just as promising, and if BB10 is on par or better I can see RIM picking up a spare if they get the ball rolling.
    10-28-12 01:58 PM
    Yea, Big Boy Office. Real Office. Not starter version, or mobile version, but workstation, desktop, or real laptop version. Mobile office doesn't allow macros, VB, third party add ons, cell merge, workbooks, ect.
    Office 2013 on Windows RT is NOT 'mobile office'. The main differences between the ARM and x86 versions are Macros and VB stuff and Outlook. Other than that, the Word, Excel and Powerpoint applications look, feel and work the same as the x86 versions. Office 2013 on Win RT IS 'real Office'.

Saying cell merge and workbooks are not supported in Office 2013 for ARM is just plain misinformation.
    10-28-12 03:22 PM
    Couldn't disagree with the OP more. I installed Windows 8 on my desktop and absolutely love it. Takes a few days to get use to it, but once you do, everything is easier and faster then Windows 7. The Touch-based UI works perfectly fine with keyboard and mouse, Naturally people hate change, of any kind, even if its for the better. This was the right move as most Desktops, laptops and all computing devices for that matter will ship with touch screens. You should of seen the uproar when we went from DOS > Windows. People swore up and down how stupid it was and DOS was what they would use forever.

MS has impressed me so much with their WP, Windows 8 and Surface. As well as their "big vision". Being Canadian, and a HUGE RIM fan from day 1, I have gone from being sad, to being mad at them. This company had everything going for it and it just threw it all away with laziness and absolutely awful leadership with no foresight. I have a Bold 9900 and Playbook 64GB and hate them both. I will be trading both in for the Lumia 920 and the Surface RT for the wife and Surface Pro for me. My wife already has the Lumia 900 and absolutely loves it. With everything Microsoft is doing, RIM has no chance stay relevant in this market. So long to a company I use to love.
    Roo Zilla, dynot and mikeo007 like this.
    10-28-12 05:38 PM
    You might already be aware of this but just in case you aren't.. the skydrive metro app doesn't provide full sync - download the skydrive app from the store for the full featured version.
    I have both on my computer.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2
    10-28-12 05:50 PM
    Office 2013 on Windows RT is NOT 'mobile office'. The main differences between the ARM and x86 versions are Macros and VB stuff and Outlook. Other than that, the Word, Excel and Powerpoint applications look, feel and work the same as the x86 versions. Office 2013 on Win RT IS 'real Office'.

Saying cell merge and workbooks are not supported in Office 2013 for ARM is just plain misinformation.
    They updated office on friday with marcos.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2
    10-28-12 05:52 PM
    I like wp8 UI
    10-28-12 07:11 PM
    I like windows 8, and like how many have said it works perfectly fine without a touch screen. However, I cannot wait for BB10, I believe it will work nicely with W8. And I think it has a chance to as well if not better than WP8, for many reasons you all know. But I wouldn't be hating on W8, its a very solid OS and is very functional.
    wolfee48 likes this.
    10-28-12 07:21 PM
    I had the same perception when I first saw windows 8. But I installed it over the weekend and for the first day or so I was confused and frustrated but once I learned the short-cuts and got used to the idea I realized how good it is. i think it's a step towards the right direction
    10-28-12 08:21 PM
    I think the general reaction in this thread clearly shows that most think that win 8 is going to do well and that the OP is quite obviously grossly mistaken so I think that part of the discussion is pretty well covered. However I have a few thoughts to add on exactly why windows 8 is going to do extremely well.

1. Fairly straight forward here - Most people buy PC laptops, simply because windows is a good OS now, windows programs are on the vast majority of home PCs and laptops, and the alternative for users is too shell out significantly more money to buy a Macbook of equivalent specs. All the newest PCs are going to be running windows 8. Windows 8 just released days ago and the market is already saturated with win 8 machines from every OEM under the sun.

2. It's a full fledged touchscreen friendly windows. People are intrigued because they can go buy one of the numerous hardware offerings out there that have the internal specs to run full windows software, can be used as a full laptop, and can also be used as a tablet. This is an important distinction - nobody else is capable of this, and won't be for at least the next year. Neither Apple, or Android, or RIM have a full desktop/laptop OS that is also usable with a touchscreen UI or device. Naysayers can scoff all they want, this is a huge leap and nobody else is even near this capability.

3. Price. Most of the reservations people are having about upgrading get soothed pretty darn fast when they find out they can do it for just $40 Additionally, As of right now, I can grab a (full) windows 8 laptop with a detachable 10" tablet slate with 2gb ram, 64gb SSD, Intel clover trail processor with approx 10 hour battery life, usb, micro sd, all for about $750. That's right you heard me, go see for yourself. Now when those devices go ON SALE where exactly do you think that's going to leave Playbooks, Android tablets, and yes, even iPads when you also take into account the above #1, #2 points?
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    10-29-12 01:45 AM
    Can't say that I agree with the OP's assertions, but I admit I was skeptical about Win8's appeal (after looking at pictures of the UI). Then I tried a Surface tablet with the keyboard cover and have to say, I quite liked it. Mind you, I only spent about 15 minutes with it. I havent decided if I'm ready to update my desktop and laptop to Win8 (from Win7) but I might just try it on a boot camp partition on my old mac mini.

BTW, I thought the Surface tablet was really nicely built, however too expensive for an impulse buy. I also found it interesting that the Apple Store in the mall (Vancouver) I was at on Friday was virtually empty (more staff than customers), whereas the Surface booth at the mall was jammed with people elbowing each other trying to get to the tablets. The Surface was sold out but --for the PlayBook owners out there-- they did have a micro-HDMI to VGA adapter available for $50.
    10-29-12 02:48 AM
    Why when I choose to use Firefox from the Start screen and then close Firefox, am I in the old desktop instead of being back in the Start screen?
    10-29-12 11:06 AM
    Why when I choose to use Firefox from the Start screen and then close Firefox, am I in the old desktop instead of being back in the Start screen?
    Because it's not a Metro app. This isn't a help thread by the way.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-29-12 11:17 AM
    It's just a link opening up firefox on the desktop, I use Chrome but same thing and I just leave it open all the time, to go back to the tile menu press the windows key, go to bottom left so the start menu icon appears or move to the right to get the charm menu.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    10-29-12 11:26 AM
    For those that installed it after upgrade from Win 7...tell me How many tries did it take you until the stupid payment Went through the initializing checkout??? I have tried 4 times and still it fails everytime both with PayPal and CC.
    10-29-12 10:00 PM
    My payment went through first time. The install took 2 attempts, it worked the second time after I uninstalled the programs the windows checker warned me about.
    10-29-12 10:10 PM
    For those that installed it after upgrade from Win 7...tell me How many tries did it take you until the stupid payment Went through the initializing checkout??? I have tried 4 times and still it fails everytime both with PayPal and CC.
    Went right through for me.

As for the overall thought, I've been using W8 for a few days, and I think it's an improvement in every way over W7. (Which I already liked more than XP) People can cry about the start button, but when you actually use the OS, and see that all you have to do is mouse to the same corner, you can go right to your start screen. (Or hit the Windows button) It's just a matter of adapting to new ways of doing things.
    10-30-12 11:02 PM
    One thing that's impressed me with Windows 8 is the boot time. It's lightning fast. Faster than my PlayBook lol.
    wolfee48 likes this.
    10-30-12 11:43 PM
    I think WP8 is more liquid than 7,5. It has good look, simplier than 7 or vista. And honestly, I like the look and the way of WP8. But If it is compared to BB10, my choice definitely BB10. It's so subjective and depends on who you ask. I'm BB Fanboy, and definitely I choose BB10. If you ask IOS fanboy, than they will say IOS 6 is the best. Or for Android Fanboy, They always say that Jelly Bean is awesome.

If we want a true answer, please ask the person who never use any smartphone, and ask him/her to try all platform. Which one is fill his/her needs. Then we can get an honest answer. Is there any people who never uses a smartphone? Tons of them.
    10-31-12 12:53 AM
    I upgraded my desktop the other day to Win8, and as Omnius pointed out, $40 for the upgrade was the main reason for it lol. That, and I'd gotten a chance to play with an Asus Vivo RT tablet with Win8 on it, and it almost made me buy it on the spot. The only reason I didn't was because i'm going to hold out for the actual Surface one.

That being said, even though my experience with Win8 so far has been positive, i'm not sure how I feel yet about switching my phone to a Windows one yet. I've got to play around with one before I decide whether it's worth it or not.
    10-31-12 12:02 PM
    Ok, well finally I was able to upgrade and so I am waiting for it to download. It is still at 0 % with estimated time " " showing.
    11-03-12 02:27 AM
    people on this forum can clammer on about how bad windows 8 is, but the reality is, the desktop OS, the surface tablet and the wp8 mobile devices are all getting rave reviews, and having used all 3, i can say it's not a stretch to assume MS will be successful with this lineup. Especially the surface, which is running windows 8 with a desktop kernel, it's a fantastic device. i can't see RIM coming up with something that is going to beat this.
    11-03-12 04:04 AM
244 ... 34567 ...