Just downloaded Windows 10 new feature they are offering phone companion, unfortunately BlackBerry is not an option. Only the Windows, Android & iPhone very disappointing.

Posted via CB10
    07-29-15 11:41 AM
    I'm really curious about what your saying, is this something about windows 10 desktop, apps or something ?
    07-29-15 11:52 AM
    It essentially does what Link does through Remote File Access: it's no great loss.
    07-29-15 11:57 AM
    With the new windows 10 release it has the option to hook up your cell phone from what I can tell something similar to BlackBerry Blend but all within the Windows 10 environment. Hope that makes it clearer.

Posted via CB10
    07-29-15 02:09 PM
    Sounds interesting, any idea what it's called specifically ?
    07-29-15 02:11 PM
    Does blend work on Windows 10?

Posted via CB10
    07-29-15 02:27 PM
    Blend should automatically work for win 10, if not it will certainly get an update
    07-29-15 02:36 PM
    Does blend work on Windows 10?

Posted via CB10
    Yes it works, I had to install the latest BETA of BLEND.... but I think it went official sometime after I installed it.
    07-29-15 02:37 PM
    Not exactly surprising. Spending money to make it compatible with BlackBerry would be a poor business choice in terms of number of additional users.

Such is reality for a dwindling OS.
    07-29-15 03:05 PM
    So for those of us using the new "free" Windows 10, what happens after the one year is up?
    07-29-15 03:12 PM
    So for those of us using the new "free" Windows 10, what happens after the one year is up?
    Nothing. You just need to install before the year is up.(2016 of this day) So you're safe

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    anon(8908445), dolco and dolco like this.
    07-29-15 03:19 PM
    Nothing. The license is good for the life of your device (but isn't transferable to another device).

MS is giving free upgrades to virtually everyone - even those running pirated Windows 7 or above - to get everyone on a current version of Windows and thus reduce fragmentation of the ecosystem. One of the reasons for that is to get more people using the Windows Store for purchasing Windows programs. Instead of selling software through retailers, they've seen that an App Store (a la Apple) is the better way - it gives MS lots of extra revenue, plus it gives users a one-stop shop - AND it allows MS to examine the app for malware as well. If MS can get everyone on Win10 and get devs and consumers using the Windows Store, they'll come out WAY ahead.

Anyway, after a year, MS will start charging for Windows upgrades again - this is just a big push to get everyone to upgrade to Win 10 quickly.
    07-29-15 03:23 PM
    So what's the name of this program that has desktop messaging and stuff for ios, Android, and Windows phones?

Posted via CB10
    07-29-15 03:52 PM
    This feature sounds cool, but it's not a deal breaker for me.
    07-29-15 05:06 PM
    Phone Companion is the name of this
    07-29-15 07:18 PM
    They will sell many more phones because of the campanion approach,and this is their goal , because PC sales are down 15%,they deliver when threatened and will be around forever.
    07-30-15 05:21 AM

Anyway, after a year, MS will start charging for Windows upgrades again - this is just a big push to get everyone to upgrade to Win 10 quickly.
    And create critical mass in order to "convince" those staying behind. "Oh, you're still on Windows 7/8..."

Windows 7 is definitely dated (unless you're a business and need a certain stability or legacy apps via Virtual PC), but I'd like to stay on 8 (not 8.1) for a while. Has all the improvements, but doesn't force you to use a Microsoft account to use SkyDrive, ahem OneDrive...

:-D

*** Z10 posted while waiting for Zlider ***
    07-30-15 04:40 PM
    And create critical mass in order to "convince" those staying behind. "Oh, you're still on Windows 7/8..."
    No doubt about that. Expect Win 10 to set records for fastest adoption and lowest "fragmentation". Plus, it's likely that Win10 will be the last "separate" version of Windows - from here, it's likely to be more of an automatic upgrade much like other devices (phones, tablets, etc.). MS would rather give away the OS and make money off the app store and associated cloud services.

Windows 7 is definitely dated (unless you're a business and need a certain stability or legacy apps via Virtual PC), but I'd like to stay on 8 (not 8.1) for a while. Has all the improvements, but doesn't force you to use a Microsoft account to use SkyDrive, ahem OneDrive...
    Ugh. Win 8's interface is epicly bad for desktops - Win 10 is a massive improvement, with just enough of the Win 8-style UI. If you're using OneDrive already, why would you care if you're doing it with a MS account? It's not like they don't already have your data...
    07-30-15 05:15 PM
    Regarding Windows 10, I've been using it sold for the last 2 days works great, haven't run into any issues. Also you do have the option of reverting back to your previous release in my case Windows 7, with in the first month of trialling Windows 10. So all you nervous Nellie's can take the plunge.

Posted via CB10
    07-30-15 05:32 PM
    Ugh. Win 8's interface is epicly bad for desktops - Win 10 is a massive improvement, with just enough of the Win 8-style UI. If you're using OneDrive already, why would you care if you're doing it with a MS account? It's not like they don't already have your data...
    ... with ClassicShell that is...
    Not much different to 7, otherwise, agreed, it's hard to get used to!

:-)

I'm very selective in what I put into that Sky..., ahem OneDrive folder... ;-)

�   BB10 -- Finger flickin' good... in any form factor!   �
    anon(8908445) likes this.
    07-31-15 12:18 AM
    Nothing. The license is good for the life of your device (but isn't transferable to another device).

MS is giving free upgrades to virtually everyone - even those running pirated Windows 7 or above - to get everyone on a current version of Windows and thus reduce fragmentation of the ecosystem. One of the reasons for that is to get more people using the Windows Store for purchasing Windows programs. Instead of selling software through retailers, they've seen that an App Store (a la Apple) is the better way - it gives MS lots of extra revenue, plus it gives users a one-stop shop - AND it allows MS to examine the app for malware as well. If MS can get everyone on Win10 and get devs and consumers using the Windows Store, they'll come out WAY ahead.

Troy is absolutely right, I was just going to respond with the same sentiments.

Send from the amazing powers of the  Z30
    07-31-15 06:45 AM

:-D

*** Z10 posted while waiting for Zlider ***
    Heck I still have some computers running xp and Vista lol. My Vista laptop I got it a month before 7 came out and the sent me the upgrade cd but never got around to do it. Then my hard drive got fried -_-. So just use my other laptop with 8 but def going to upgrade to 10.

Send from the amazing powers of the  Z30
    07-31-15 06:49 AM