Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By belfastdispatcher
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,259 Global Posts
    PIN
    PINned to The Shepherd!
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Will we get BB10 unlocked and all frequencies like Neus?

Obviously there are going to be carrier versions. But I like the idea of a decent price for an unsubsidized phone, like the Nexus series has been. And the Nexus series has the GSM/4G frequencies for both US GSM carriers and is unlocked so the user has choice of carriers and doesn't have to switch phones for international travel. It would be awesome if RIM did the same thing with the BB10 phones.
    More thoughts at Bill's Spiritual Musings. http://www.bills-musings.com
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    27F48177

Quote Originally Posted by kraski View Post
    Obviously there are going to be carrier versions. But I like the idea of a decent price for an unsubsidized phone, like the Nexus series has been. And the Nexus series has the GSM/4G frequencies for both US GSM carriers and is unlocked so the user has choice of carriers and doesn't have to switch phones for international travel. It would be awesome if RIM did the same thing with the BB10 phones.
    The Nexus is subsidized, by Google though, not by the carriers.
    BlackBerry Guy likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Default Re: Will we get BB10 unlocked and all frequencies like Neus?

I dont think BB10 will be unlocked, not based on the business model BlackBerry uses and how much they rely on carriers for profits. However, it is possible for them to make BB10 compatible with the different frequencies used by the different carriers for LTE. How much this will cost them though, probably will be the deciding factor of whether this will be the case.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,259 Global Posts
    PIN
    PINned to The Shepherd!
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Quote Originally Posted by belfastdispatcher View Post
    OK. Good point. I think I'm more interested in no contract price. If all the frequencies are there for me to switch from AT&T and the unlock services pick up the slack soon enough, I'm good with BB10. If not, I may need to think about the Nexus 4, come Spring.
    More thoughts at Bill's Spiritual Musings. http://www.bills-musings.com

I don't think we'll see them at Nexus type pricing. Like belfastdispatcher said, Google subsidizes the Nexus devices. Their business model is based on getting eyeballs on them through their services, so they're able to make less on the device itself. RIM's business model doesn't allow for this.
    Retired: 8703, 8130, 8330, 9630, 9800, 9900, PlayBook
    Current: Z10, Nexus 5, iPad mini retina, Nexus 7

Global Posts
    23,390 Global Posts
    PIN
    24DA0A39

It might be sold at reduced price by google but there is no contract to sign for cell service. Many are going to get a $30 pre paid unlimited 4g data, sms plan with 100 minutes. Its a great deal and you are free to leave the carrier at any time for another GSM carrier. getting the phone for that cheap and not having to sign a contract is a huge deal for customers in the US and probably Canada too.
    ~Matt
    Nexus 5, Z10 LE, White Lumia 521, 32GB Nook HD+ & 16GB PB, 32 GB Dell Venue 8 Pro
    @howarmat
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    55,934 Global Posts

But GSM carriers have no reception where I travel to. In the USA shouldn't covering all include CDMA?
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    the 50K CrackBerry challenge
    I'm no more qualified to say so because I own a BlackBerry

Global Posts
    23,390 Global Posts
    PIN
    24DA0A39

Quote Originally Posted by kbz1960 View Post
    But GSM carriers have no reception where I travel to. In the USA shouldn't covering all include CDMA?
    thats the rub. If you travel alot in less populated areas your choice is VZW and ATT and the N4 is GSM only. So if you are with ATT its not any different but if you are VZW you have tough decision.
    ~Matt
    Nexus 5, Z10 LE, White Lumia 521, 32GB Nook HD+ & 16GB PB, 32 GB Dell Venue 8 Pro
    @howarmat

PIN
    27F48177

Quote Originally Posted by howarmat View Post
    It might be sold at reduced price by google but there is no contract to sign for cell service. Many are going to get a $30 pre paid unlimited 4g data, sms plan with 100 minutes. Its a great deal and you are free to leave the carrier at any time for another GSM carrier. getting the phone for that cheap and not having to sign a contract is a huge deal for customers in the US and probably Canada too.
    The problem with that is you can't rely on the carrier to take care of the warranty and replacement phones etc.

Vodafone (and pretty much all carriers too) will send a courier next day with a refurb if I have any problems, would Google do that?

Global Posts
    23,390 Global Posts
    PIN
    24DA0A39

The problem with that is you can't rely on the carrier to take care of the warranty and replacement phones etc.

Vodafone (and pretty much all carriers too) will send a courier next day with a refurb if I have any problems, would Google do that?
    i have heard that google will send a new phone next day and then you send yours back. I agree its not as good as walking into a store and walking out with another phone. I personally have never had to exchange a phone. Not even my storm 1 and 2.
    ~Matt
    @howarmat
    Banned

Global Posts
    691 Global Posts

Yes they would. The warranty covers the exact same terms as a standard manufacturer warranty.

And jfyi, unsubsidized means not tied to any carrier and unlocked, which the Nexus is.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,391 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by howarmat View Post
    Wish we would see more of this. Have to admit, I am thinking of getting the Nexus 4.

PIN
    27F48177

Quote Originally Posted by Ynomrah View Post
    Yes they would. The warranty covers the exact same terms as a standard manufacturer warranty.

And jfyi, unsubsidized means not tied to any carrier and unlocked, which the Nexus is.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    I beg to differ, unsubsidized means at full price weather it's on a contract or prepay. It is well known Google subsidizes the Nexus line, especially the Nexus 4.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,978 Global Posts

kraski, I'm pretty sure TMO will be offering the same frequencies as AT&T since the acquisition fell through. TMO has been selling this to iphone users if they want a cheaper plan.

Default Will we get BB10 unlocked and all frequencies like Neus?

Quote Originally Posted by Ynomrah View Post
    I think broadly speaking, all a subsidized smartphone is, is one that a consumer doesn't pay full retail cost for to a carrier, in exchange for a service commitment to said carrier. The carriers are deriving most of their revenue from selling you the service, not the hardware, which is why they do this.
    In the case of Google, their business model is all based on search, advertising and information, again not on hardware sales. They will offer Nexus hardware for relatively cheap prices (compared to similar hardware from competitors) with the hopes of getting it into your hands so that you will use their services which will in turn drive their core business. Same with Amazon - they're selling you well priced Kindle Fires as a gateway to their content store, where they are making their real money.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Retired: 8703, 8130, 8330, 9630, 9800, 9900, PlayBook
    Current: Z10, Nexus 5, iPad mini retina, Nexus 7

Global Posts
    23,390 Global Posts
    PIN
    24DA0A39

i am actually curious to see what T-mo is going to charge for the device instore and not on contract. Rumors have gone both ways, same price as google or closer to 500-600 like most phones
    ~Matt
    @howarmat