Will US carriers continue to release Blackberry phones weeks or months after new phones have been available elsewhere?
    Does Apple pay these carriers or strong arm them to delay the release of Blackberry products. The lack of interest by US
    carriers in the release of the new Blackberry 10 seems to indicate something.
    01-23-13 01:09 PM
    Carriers and their stock holders stand to lose more than they would gain, by promoting something not yet officially released.
    01-23-13 01:12 PM
    i highly doubt apple pays to delay BB releases and you are incorrect as most all carriers are "excited" to have the new bb10 phones to sell
    01-23-13 01:12 PM
    I think the "lack of interest" regarding previous models has a lot to do with uninformed sales associates, or associates that just haven't been properly trained.

In the case of Apple strongarming, IIRC getting the HTC One X delayed was a matter of a patent infringement and it was a matter directly between Apple and HTC. Carriers had nothing to do with it.

I think that RIM should definitely do their best to ensure proper training and delivery of retail associates.
    bb624 likes this.
    01-23-13 01:13 PM
    I think the sales force of the carrier stores do try to influence sales of Apple and Android phones over BBs. I will be going to check when the BB10s are available to see if I get a sales pitch to change platforms.
    flyingsolid likes this.
    01-23-13 01:16 PM
    I think the sales force of the carrier stores do try to influence sales of Apple and Android phones over BBs. I will be going to check when the BB10s are available to see if I get a sales pitch to change platforms.
    From what I can tell, the trend of carriers influencing sales of iPhones and Android devices came from people picking up BlackBerries and then realizing they couldn't do some of the stuff (namely certain apps and games) that their friends could on their iPhone/Android phones. Since reps get dinged if a product they sold gets returned, they automatically just started steering customers away from BlackBerry.

BB10, though, will be a whole new beast.
    01-23-13 01:28 PM
    all depends on price point for the carrier.... if they can make more money on BB than Apple guess what they will push....
    01-23-13 01:28 PM
    if the US carriers can make money on the BB10's, they will.....and BB10 will be a new ball game,
    so don't worry be happy........they helped put the Blackberries on the map way back,
    and so they can do it again..........
    01-23-13 01:40 PM
    all depends on price point for the carrier.... if they can make more money on BB than Apple guess what they will push....
    Not quite. On AT&T, the 9900 *still* retails for $199 on contract

BlackBerry Bold 9900 - Charcoal Black cell phone from AT&T

Same as the SGS3

Samsung Galaxy S III - Garnet Red cell phone from AT&T

And a 16gig iPhone 5

Apple iPhone 5 - 16 GB - Black cell phone from AT&T

At this point, why buy a year and a half old 9900 when you could get a new iPhone5 or SGS3?
    01-23-13 01:45 PM
    From what I can tell, the trend of carriers influencing sales of iPhones and Android devices came from people picking up BlackBerries and then realizing they couldn't do some of the stuff (namely certain apps and games) that their friends could on their iPhone/Android phones. Since reps get dinged if a product they sold gets returned, they automatically just started steering customers away from BlackBerry.

Salespeople just lie about BlackBerrys. Its been posted about over and over. Not just that the BBs can't do what iPhones and Androids can do.

Sales people say that BlackBerry is going out of business!

Verizon sales rep told me that Verizon was going to stop selling BlackBerrys.

Best Buy sales rep told my husband not to buy me a PlayBook because it needed an additional data plan.

Those are just a few examples, but I have seen and heard many more here on CrackBerry and from my BBM friends.
    01-23-13 02:00 PM
    there is no conspiracy, just ignorance

http://mashable.com/2012/07/03/blackberry-10-roadmap/
    01-23-13 02:02 PM
    Salespeople just lie about BlackBerrys. Its been posted about over and over. Not just that the BBs can't do what iPhones and Androids can do.

Sales people say that BlackBerry is going out of business!

Verizon sales rep told me that Verizon was going to stop selling BlackBerrys.

Best Buy sales rep told my husband not to buy me a PlayBook because it needed an additional data plan.

Those are just a few examples, but I have seen and heard many more here on CrackBerry and from my BBM friends.
    I agree that is happening as well, as my initial post states. But the reps might not know they're lying either. The could've heard those lies from a number of sources and don't bother to fact check before relating it to customers. A lot of sales reps don't get paid to fact check. And when BlackBerry devices are returned in favor or iPhones/Android devices, in the rep's mind it makes those lies they heard sound all the more plausable.
    darkehawke likes this.
    01-23-13 02:09 PM
    I guess, but that's why I, as the person buying or using my device, do MY fact checking. And I don't buy anymore from the carrier stores.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    01-23-13 03:01 PM
    I don't think they will conspire anymore. It appears most are on board
    01-23-13 03:06 PM
    I guess, but that's why I, as the person buying or using my device, do MY fact checking. And I don't buy anymore from the carrier stores.
    Same. More often than not I know more than the reps. For example, the rep I got my SGS3 from didn't know that it came in two sizes. Our convo was like this:

Me: I'd like the 16gig pebble blue SGS3 please.

Rep: Sure. But just so you know it only comes in 16gig, so you're good there.

Me: No, it also comes in 32gig, but I'm fine with 16gig.

Rep: (after going to get my phone, and checking my claim) You were right!

Before I get a device I spend weeks reading hands-on reviews, watching videos, etc so I know exactly what I want going in. Where do you usually pick of your devices if not a carrier store? Do you order direct from the company?
    01-23-13 03:07 PM
    I would probably order online from the carrier or Amazon, but I will go see them in the showroom, ummm I mean, the Verizon store first.
    pantlesspenguin and bb624 like this.
    01-23-13 03:10 PM
    I would probably order online from the carrier or Amazon, but I will go see them in the showroom, ummm I mean, the Verizon store first.
    +1. Informed Crackberrians who are in the know have neither a use for sales associates or their "help." Reminds me of the time I went in to a vzw store for the 9930.

Sales associate: "Hello, welcome to Verizon..."
    Me: "BlackBerry Bold. Please."
    Sales associate: "So you're interested in a BlackBerry?"
    Me: "May I see the phone?"
    Sales associate: "I think I have one in the back."
    Me: "Go get it. Please."

I spent 2 minutes with it, handed it back, and said "Thanks." I went home and ordered it online. Btw, if there are any sales associates reading this thread, a word of advice: "Don't talk to me when I'm handling the hardware. Don't make small talk. In fact, don't hover near me. Don't ask me why I want a BlackBerry. Pretend that you're watching me meditate. Because I am. So keep your mouth firmly shut."

01-24-13 10:10 AM
    I have to agree with the notion that sale associates are a little ignorant when it comes to BlackBerry. They don't know and most don't do the fact checking to see what's new and upcoming. I work in a retail store and we have a phone vendor in store. The kids they hire to sell phones just know that they make the most commission off of iPhones and SGIII's. I asked about them getting the new BB's (I get a discount, I had to try!) and they looked at me like I was crazy! They googled the new phones and I basically sold them on buying one.

I don't think it's a conspiracy, more just people trying to make a quick buck.
    01-24-13 10:37 AM
    I've been lucky enough to not experience any such ignorance, but being in Canada could play a part. I believe that there won't be nearly as much bias against BB once they realize that BB10 is a gamechanger. And that they will make almost as much profit. Or equal profit
    01-24-13 10:46 AM
    I honestly don't pay attention to the gibberish that falls from the mouth of a "sales associate." They're like the wait staff at a restaurant: "Please go fetch me my food and leave me in peace. In return, I will tip you well for your prompt, attentive, yet non-intrusive service."

Once I've ordered the steak, a waiter will not frown and say "Well, you're better off with the chicken." The same should apply for the wait staff at a phone store once I've ordered my phone. When such a concept has been embraced by these folks, I may return and buy one from a store.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    01-24-13 10:55 AM
    I wonder how many iphones Sprint still needs to sell under that contract to purchase x amount of them or no soup (iphone) for you. Wonder if it has increased their user base as much as they thought it would too.
    01-24-13 11:11 AM
    The idea that carriers would "conspire" to do down a mobile phone product is silly. They're businesses, they want to make money. They will promote the products that allow them to make money, both in the short term and the long term. Blackberry products have been behind the competition, simple as that. If they see BB10 phones as an opportunity to make money for them in the short term - and prevent them becoming over-reliant on a small number of suppliers (long term thinking) then that's what they'll do. I would be absolutely sure they have been crying out for a product that breaks the emerging duopoly in smartphones, and they wouldn't greatly care if that was RIM or Windows - as long as someone does.
    01-24-13 11:16 AM

The problem with the OS7 devices was the price when the bold 9900 launched, it was still a mid range device at beast, but it was priced in line with a 32GB iPhone 4S or Galaxy Note/Skyrocket. Sorry, but when many people look at a BB and see $299 on contract, they simply turn away and look for other options.

If they launch the Z10 at a similar price point, their sales will only be great within their own bubble of enthusiasts. There are $50-$99 Android devices with similar or better hardware on contract that those people will pick up instead.

If the off-contract price is too high, so will the on-contract price. Carriers simply are not willing to subsidize Android, Windows, and BBs to the level of the iPhone.
    01-24-13 11:22 AM
    It's not in the carriers' interest to "conspire" against RIM. They have Apple dictating brutal terms and Google making rumblings about becoming their own carrier. They need an alternative.

However, they are in the business of making money and sell products that consumers want. They'll help RIM try to push BlackBerry 10, but it's ultimately up to RIM to deliver a product that consumers want.
    01-24-13 11:28 AM
    I know AT&T was late with the 9900 but they were first with the 9800 and 9810 and were even reported as the ones who pressed RIM to develop the slider and worked closely with them on the specs so I am not sure that premise is true. Verizon were quick with the Storm and they wanted it to be an iPhone challenge - unfortunately, but I think they have had BB's in the quiver until they went to all LTE phones and until BB10 comes, RIM doesn't have one to sell. Not sure I agree with the OP's premise here
    01-24-13 12:08 PM