I watched the keynote and really liked a lot of what I saw. But one thing worries me, and that is the timeline set by RIM for a launch date. I really feel that if they delay it again by even another month that it is going to absolutely kill them sales wise as too many people will just give up on them entirely at that point.

Do you guys think they will meet the February timeframe for release? Given RIM's horrible track record for not meeting timeframes I am just curious, if they don't are you prepared to wait longer?
    09-26-12 10:51 AM
    Most people that are waiting are BlackBerry lovers and will wait another month. One more month means nothing to somebody who doesn't know that they're waiting. That being said, if devices are going out to carriers in the next few weeks it WILL be on time.
    09-26-12 11:01 AM
    Who said February? People are speculating for January and February...

Calendar Q1 2013 is from January-March...they could release March 29, 2013 and still be on time.
    09-26-12 11:03 AM
    i would bet my RIMM stocks on them making the deadline

(seriously, they cant miss this one. 100% wont happen)
    hpjrt likes this.
    09-26-12 11:03 AM
    I think they will meet the timeframe...what we saw was not even the build number they are at internally, it is the dev beta version they controlled in order to release newer features for devs to work on with their apps...they definitely have more done internally...think about how no maps is there, no productivity suite, notes, reminders, video editor, photos, etc. None of these were there nor shown off.

They have much more done then they let people see yesterday...and everyone is saying February now, but yes the final date for app submissions to receive the 10,000$ is January 21st i believe...but if RIM have 100,000+ apps right now, that number will drastically increase in the next couple months, and also if RIM has all or the majority of major apps signed on (Instagram, Skype, Netflix, etc.) then they can absolutely release the phones whenever the OS is ready for prime time and continue to offer the 10,000$ app developer initiative to drive apps up. They can absolutely release it before the final date for app submissions, and I know they didnt do that for the playbook release, but if the OS is complete and again has all the major apps, then smaller no named apps being submitted for that 10,000$ shouldnt stop them from releasing an OS a month late. I shouldnt say a month late because there is no exact month for release, but I will say a month LATER than whatever is rumoured.

That would be insane if they wait for indie developers who have no-named apps...they can respect the indie developers a lot and provide them with incentive to work, but to release a commercially successful phone, RIM will only announce the major applications and features...so once the OS is complete and all major apps are on the device functioning fluidly, then RIM should not delay the release!
    Last edited by mphillips828; 09-26-12 at 11:08 AM.
    09-26-12 11:06 AM
    Who said February? People are speculating for January and February...

Calendar Q1 2013 is from January-March...they could release March 29, 2013 and still be on time.
    There's been some chatter that suggests specifically Feb.

It COULD get pushed back to March, since that's still technically Q1, and maybe they've deliberately left that wiggle-room.

Yesterday, they displayed what's almost a feature-complete OS, and it will arrive with an ecosystem that will be MUCH better than current (integrated music/video in App World is a great enhancement--navigation is fantastic, too). I think they'll make it.
    09-26-12 11:10 AM
    There's been some chatter that suggests specifically Feb.

It COULD get pushed back to March, since that's still technically Q1, and maybe they've deliberately left that wiggle-room.

Yesterday, they displayed what's almost a feature-complete OS, and it will arrive with an ecosystem that will be MUCH better than current (integrated music/video in App World is a great enhancement--navigation is fantastic, too). I think they'll make it.
    I wasn't saying it won't come in February. All I was saying is that until there's a confirmed date announced by RIM that is outside of Q1, no one can say they were late or delayed it again.

I believe it will launch mid-February with an early February device event.
    09-26-12 11:21 AM
    From the mouths of Thorsten and Alex the deadline for BlackBerry 10 application submissions for BlackBerry AppWorld is 21 January 2013. Therefore, no release of BlackBerry 10 smartphones in January and given the timeframe to review application submissions we can almost assuredly write-off February. This only leaves March 2013 to meet the non-promise of 1Q2013 per "the extra tall Bavarian." The BlackBerry PlayBook, as I recall, was promised for 1Q2011 and was released feature-incomplete on 19 April 2011. I will leave probability calculations of history repeating itself as an exercise for the reader. Nothing would have made me happier than to heard Thorsten guarantee a release to the public date of 13 January 2013 or even 27 January.

Beseech the revival of the BlackBerry. Pray say thou. Verily I say unto thee it shall not come to pass in the 1Q2013 for the stars are yet unaligned and the sacred sacrifice of 80 million souls hast not pleased the Mighty Thor.
    09-26-12 11:22 AM
    From the mouths of Thorsten and Alex the deadline for BlackBerry 10 application submissions for BlackBerry AppWorld is 21 January 2013. Therefore, no release of BlackBerry 10 smartphones in January and given the timeframe to review application submissions we can almost assuredly write-off February. This only leaves March 2013 to meet the non-promise of 1Q2013 per "the extra tall Bavarian." The BlackBerry PlayBook, as I recall, was promised for 1Q2011 and was released feature-incomplete on 19 April 2011. I will leave probability calculations of history repeating itself as an exercise for the reader. Nothing would have made me happier than to heard Thorsten guarantee a release to the public date of 13 January 2013 or even 27 January.

Beseech the revival of the BlackBerry. Pray say thou. Verily I say unto thee it shall not come to pass in the 1Q2013 for the stars are yet unaligned and the sacred sacrifice of 80 million souls hast not pleased the Mighty Thor.
    PlayBook was set for release in Fiscal Year Q1 as they did not want it skew Q4 2010 results...there making the PlayBook release in the timeframe they wanted.
    09-26-12 11:27 AM
    PlayBook was set for release in Fiscal Year Q1 as they did not want it skew Q4 2010 results...there making the PlayBook release in the timeframe they wanted.
    Revisionist history. I was at ground zero so I ought to know.
    09-26-12 11:45 AM
    I think they'll pull out all the stops to get it out as soon as possible, whilst at the same time being as near perfect as possible.

They know that this is the most important Blackberry phone launch in the history of the company, and won't want to mess it up.

The reason Thorsten moved it from Q3 2012 to Q1 2013 was, I'm sure, because he knew it had to be top quality. That was brave move on his part. I'm very confident they'll hit Q1 2013.
    09-26-12 12:05 PM
    I do stand corrected, as I saw the Jan. 21st app submission date and assumed that meant a Feb. release. But I see it hasn't been set for Feb, just Q1 2012.

Surely to God they will make it by March.
    09-26-12 01:50 PM
    i would bet my RIMM stocks on them making the deadline

(seriously, they cant miss this one. 100% wont happen)
    I'm with you and here's $20.00 to cover those 100 shares of RIM stock in case we are wrong.
    09-26-12 01:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD