"Your puppy had to go to a farm upstate, but it'll be back in 2017!"
    Facts are stubborn things.

They keep reaffirming their commitment to BB10 and have consistently stated "no new devices in 2016".

If they wanted to kill off BB10 they would have done it by now.
    06-05-16 01:26 PM
    Yes, there will be several more and they will sell into the high millions.
    06-05-16 01:30 PM
    You keep saying this, but I don't follow the logic.

Again, they still have unsold inventory, and still have to uphold some contractual obligations by continuing some semblance of support.

BlackBerry will never officially "kill it". Why on Earth would they?
    JeepBB and TgeekB like this.
    06-05-16 01:33 PM
    Facts are stubborn things.

They keep reaffirming their commitment to BB10 and have consistently stated "no new devices in 2016".

Facts may be stubborn things, but you have to take all the facts into consideration, not just those that support a particular hope. The lip service facts have to be taken in with the action facts. Lip service and Actions go hand in hand.

Add in the facts that the R&D team for BB10 hardware has been gutted is a pretty strong indicator. Software development for complementary BB10 apps have been abandoned (all the in-house built apps). The point that BBRY now being a member of the OHA and therefore not able to upgrade the Android Runtime to newer Android versions for existing BB10 devices, as well as won't allow for any hypothetical new BB10 device to even have an Android Runtime either. The only BB10 software development they have is for minor BB10 OS upgrades, which has slowed to a glacial crawl. With that, what other conclusion can you come up with?

The only reason BB10 hasn't been abandoned altogether, is because BBRY has a moral obligation to continue support upgrades as long as there are users out there still rocking their BB10 devices. They can't just swing an axe this early to cut off support entirely. But eventually the number of actual BB10 users will shrink to a point where they woudn't be criticised for doing just that. And that day is rapidly approaching.

I get it. The longtime loyal would like nothing more than to see BBRY create a new BB10 device. But with the writing on the wall, that's just hope rationalizing wishful thinking. But it is what it is.
    06-05-16 01:45 PM
    ^ THIS

I do believe that they will get there with their Android software but, until they do, I'm tied to BB10.
    What does that even mean? Get where? It's not their software and never will be. They can't do anything but put a layer over the top of it.
    Ronindan likes this.
    06-05-16 03:20 PM
    You keep saying this, but I don't follow the logic.

Again, they still have unsold inventory, and still have to uphold some contractual obligations by continuing some semblance of support.

BlackBerry will never officially "kill it". Why on Earth would they?
    You honestly think they are stringing people along to sell existing inventory and fulfill contracts? That's a more improbable scenario than the one I proposed.

They aren't going to make any money by selling existing inventory. And they've already written off millions in BB10 inventory - writing off the rest would be a drop in the bucket. They can easily fulfill existing contracts while officially announcing an EOL timeline.

Ralph Pini - new head of devices at BlackBerry - has repeatedly reaffirmed his commitment to BB10 going forward. That is not a snake-oil sales pitch to sell off remaining inventory, that's part of his comprehensive strategy for the device business.

Believe what you must, but as long as you can buy BB10 devices from BlackBerry and they don't change their "we remain committed to BB10" message, my logic is just as valid as yours.

Posted from my BlackBerry Bold 9930
    TCB on Z10 likes this.
    06-05-16 03:50 PM
    Facts may be stubborn things, but you have to take all the facts into consideration, not just those that support a particular hope. The lip service facts have to be taken in with the action facts. Lip service and Actions go hand in hand.

Add in the facts that the R&D team for BB10 hardware has been gutted is a pretty strong indicator. Software development for complementary BB10 apps have been abandoned (all the in-house built apps). The point that BBRY now being a member of the OHA and therefore not able to upgrade the Android Runtime to newer Android versions for existing BB10 devices, as well as won't allow for any hypothetical new BB10 device to even have an Android Runtime either. The only BB10 software development they have is for minor BB10 OS upgrades, which has slowed to a glacial crawl. With that, what other conclusion can you come up with?

The only reason BB10 hasn't been abandoned altogether, is because BBRY has a moral obligation to continue support upgrades as long as there are users out there still rocking their BB10 devices. They can't just swing an axe this early to cut off support entirely. But eventually the number of actual BB10 users will shrink to a point where they woudn't be criticised for doing just that. And that day is rapidly approaching.

I get it. The longtime loyal would like nothing more than to see BBRY create a new BB10 device. But with the writing on the wall, that's just hope rationalizing wishful thinking. But it is what it is.
    You're speculating just as much as I am. My position is not "wishful thinking" any more than yours is.

When BlackBerry says they remain committed to BB10 - and new head of devices Ralph Pini repeatedly reaffirms that commitment - you think they are lying through their teeth. I choose to believe them.

Posted from my BlackBerry Bold 9930
    TCB on Z10 likes this.
    06-05-16 03:55 PM
    yes it is. no more new BB10 devices are coming. I think that's been posted here over and over again.
    I think you may be wrong......BlackBerry is waiting for a few things to play out, then it will decide if a new phone for OS 10 comes out. It will be based on the large user and not the consumer market. OS 10 as I stated months ago and now the CEO has confirmed looks to be transitioning away from the consumer and more to the Corporate/Government user. This is a natural transition.

Woof!
    Omahahaha and IndianTiwari like this.
    06-05-16 04:14 PM
    You're speculating just as much as I am. My position is not "wishful thinking" any more than yours is.

When BlackBerry says they remain committed to BB10 - and new head of devices Ralph Pini repeatedly reaffirms that commitment - you think they are lying through their teeth. I choose to believe them.
    Actually, no.

Is there speculation involved? Sure, you betcha. But the difference is that your speculation is based on a fraction of the total facts and evidence, whereas others (like myself) choose to incorporate those other aspects (that you choose to selectively ignore) to draw a conclusion. You're going out of your way to ignore the facts that refute your assertion instead of taking it all in as a whole.

Additionally, you're reading too much into their statements of "commitment". The only commitment they have made is to support the current version with minor revisions. There have been zero statements of further or significant development. And in fact, there have been very specific statements towards halting progressive development (ie... the ART development has been specifically confirmed as being done).

I don't for a moment say that they're lying. Only that your hopeful nature is reading too much into what their statements actually mean. And by no means interpret that as a dig on your nature, as that isn't my intention.

And where you're really wrong, is that my Wishful Thinking is anywhere the same as anybody else's. I've not once harbored the wish that BB10 development would halt. Quite the contrary actually. I would love to see BB10 continue to be developed as I'm a strong proponent in favor of competition.
    DrBoomBotz and JeepBB like this.
    06-05-16 04:24 PM
    Does anyone have a citation to the effect that BlackBerry devices are still popular even remotely popular in the Enterprise community.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 06-05-16 at 05:48 PM.
    06-05-16 04:27 PM
    I don't think we will see another bb10 phone for at least 12 months. I think Chen has been consistent there, he said he will decide after the next 2 OS upgrades. My guess there might be one end of 2017 to take advantage of some refresh from their govt and banking customers

Posted via CB10
    That's the state of the newtion, ahem nation... :-)

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    06-05-16 04:48 PM
    Have you tried the passport? Still a great phone.
    I'd love to have one if it worked on Verizon.
    06-06-16 09:32 AM
37 12