With all the marketing money being pumped into the Priv, I wonder if this will have a spillover effect on BB10 sales? We are all mobile enthusiasts on CrackBerry, but I wonder if the average consumer knows the difference between Android and BB10, especially if the Priv starts to look more and more like BB10 from an interface perspective?

I was at the Raptors game at the Air Canada Centre last week, and I saw a lot of BlackBerry Priv advertising... The average consumer might walk into a Rogers or Bell store and see that there are a few options available: Priv, Passport, Classic, and just choose the one they like better.
    JulesDB likes this.
    12-14-15 05:21 PM
    I doubt but who knows.
    12-14-15 05:46 PM
    With all the marketing money being pumped into the Priv, I wonder if this will have a spillover effect on BB10 sales?
    no.
    12-14-15 06:32 PM
    Unlikely that bb10 sales will be impacted significantly, however, I don't think that the future of bb10 is near. I think blackberry will continue to support it for a long time to come.

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    12-14-15 07:09 PM
    Of course they'll support. They just won't add to it.
    12-14-15 07:35 PM
    That is Chens Master Plan and hopefully the market agrees with it. No one wants BB10 to stop. Change perception, give choice, solve the app gap and end the uncertainty.
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    12-14-15 07:50 PM
    Not going to happen.
    12-14-15 09:08 PM
    Why not?
    12-14-15 10:15 PM
    Of course they'll support. They just won't add to it.
    I should have been more clear. I meant support with updates, although I don't know if there ever will be os 11.

12-15-15 08:19 PM
    Not going to happen.
    How do you know? Os10 is not going anywhere fast.

12-15-15 08:20 PM
    I can't see it hurting anything. A lot of people STILL think that BlackBerry is dead. With the Priv out there and actually being marketed, it will definitely gain them some brand recognition, at the very least.

BB10 sales were probably dwindling a bit already so what it might actually be doing, if not increasing the sales, is keep the sales of BB10 devices going a bit more steadily.
    12-15-15 08:41 PM
    Does anyone know forsure how many BlackBerry Priv's have been sold?

Posted Via Aaron's BlackBerry Z10 
    12-15-15 08:49 PM
    I should have been more clear. I meant support with updates, although I don't know if there ever will be os 11.

There will be security and patches.
    12-15-15 09:32 PM
    Unlikely that bb10 sales will be impacted significantly, however, I don't think that the future of bb10 is near. I think blackberry will continue to support it for a long time to come.

This is what I think so too. All their customers who's in BES12 that had bought BB10 devices is still requires BlackBerry to keep on supporting them until they've finally come up with a solution for unification.

BlackBerry's Android version maybe their new thing, but it is still premature to conclude that that's The Best Thing!

There will be AN update and that�s what is left at the moment for BB10's timeline. BB10 surely to lose its pulse, but hey the OS still reliable especially for emails and security features.
    kbz1960 and Fernando Martin like this.
    12-16-15 03:57 PM
    They're technically 'supporting' all three of their platforms right now, as we speak.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    12-16-15 10:57 PM
    BlackBerry will continue to 'support' whatever users they have.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    12-16-15 10:58 PM
    With all the marketing money being pumped into the Priv, I wonder if this will have a spillover effect on BB10 sales? We are all mobile enthusiasts on CrackBerry, but I wonder if the average consumer knows the difference between Android and BB10, especially if the Priv starts to look more and more like BB10 from an interface perspective?

I was at the Raptors game at the Air Canada Centre last week, and I saw a lot of BlackBerry Priv advertising... The average consumer might walk into a Rogers or Bell store and see that there are a few options available: Priv, Passport, Classic, and just choose the one they like better.
    Funny that booth and BlackBerry's ads at the ACC I gotta give credit to Drake pushing that before going apple with the watch debut.

вιaсĸвεггч� Z10 via CB10 (Z10STL100-3/10.3.2.2639) on BES12
    12-17-15 12:19 AM
    Of course not...if android is making money and bb10 is not, why the hack should they develop more bb10 devices...of course they are going to make more android devices...which makes more money isn't it?

Mia san mia!
    12-17-15 10:12 AM
    Off course yes. When i know the Priv gonna be launched, i start study blackberry. I look everything, all v�deos youtube, all reviews.
    After that, i buy my first blackberry. I buy the Passport silver edition!
    Thankyou Priv to show me the best phone i ever buy!
    So, the Priv was good to show blackberry to the World.

Posted by my PP silver!
    Zeratul57 likes this.
    12-17-15 12:08 PM
    Off course yes. When i know the Priv gonna be launched, i start study blackberry. I look everything, all v�deos youtube, all reviews.
    After that, i buy my first blackberry. I buy the Passport silver edition!
    Thankyou Priv to show me the best phone i ever buy!
    So, the Priv was good to show blackberry to the World.

Posted by my PP silver!

Welcome Ricardo! Richard here. Or PK if you prefer which is what most call me. I'm the Mod Team Leader at CB. Just wanted to extend a warm welcome to the forums. Please feel to reach out to me via PM or @pkcable on twitter.
    oldtimeBBaddict likes this.
    12-17-15 01:51 PM
    They should offer dual booting android/bb10 so ppl can experience both os. It's good marketing. I bet ppl who never used bb10 will have chance to try bb10.
    12-17-15 02:16 PM
    I am sure that there will be more than security and patches. The evolution of the os will progress more slowly than we would love to see however. Blackberry os will survive.

12-17-15 02:34 PM
    They should offer dual booting android/bb10 so ppl can experience both os. It's good marketing. I bet ppl who never used bb10 will have chance to try bb10.
    I think that ship has sailed long ago. From a marketing stand point, they are pushing the fact that BlackBerry + Android = the best of both worlds. That doesn't mean BB10 unfortunately, that means Android with BlackBerry apps built in.

I'd have a Priv by now if I had the option of one with BB10. Sadly, I don't know if either the success or the failure of the Priv would actually bring that dream to fruition.
    krazyatom and Pcmx like this.
    12-17-15 07:09 PM
    There are probably around 1M BB10 phones still unsold, between phones remaining in inventory at BB and phones in sales channels (distributors and retailers). BB needs all of those phones to get sold, and the vast majority probably will over the next 2-3 quarters. Yes, Priv advertising will almost certainly help that a bit. But that is almost certainly going to be the end of the line for BB10 hardware.

Even BES 12 licensees can simply move people to the Priv or other Android/iOS phones and keep right on running - something that wasn't possible for BES 5 users with BBOS phones - and that means it's far less likely that BB will make another production run of any of their existing BB10 phones, as they were forced to do with the 9900. In fact, BB's reps are already contacting their BES licensees and trying to convert them to the Priv. All the folks who say "this or that government 'needs' BB10 privacy" is mistaken, frankly. They may need a similar level of privacy, but as Chen himself admitted, there are several companies who compete (and are competitive) in that arena. Regardless, those companies and governments simply aren't a big enough market to make phones profitable, and if you can't make money from a product line, what's the point of making it in the first place? Keep in mind that BB loses $100 per BB10 phone - why make any more of them? Sure, they kind of had to before the Priv was ready, but now it's no longer necessary.

The only real questions remaining are: can the Priv, and BB Android in general, at least break even for BB? If not, the handset division will be gone entirely. If it can at least break even, then BB can justify continuing to make handsets to aid in the sale of BES. BB really can't afford to continue using handsets as a loss-leader for BES - they simply don't make enough on BES to offset the losses.
    12-18-15 10:30 PM
    I sure as heck hope the Priv leads to more sales (Android or BlackBerry 10) to put a cork in all the Debby Downers around these forums. For the life of me I have hard time understanding why negative pundits keep posting the same thing over and over. I think all BlackBerry aficionados know it's former and current state. Other than being a needle to someone's thread balloon what's the point?

Z30 wickedness
    12-19-15 01:43 AM
49 12